Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

UTX and Vector Do you use both

I was wondering if I should uninstall my Ultimate Terrain X since buying Vector. Doesn't Vector  do what UTX does in the way of road, rail roads shore lines and such?

Vic green

I was wondering if I should uninstall my Ultimate Terrain X since buying Vector. Doesn't Vector  do what UTX does in the way of road, rail roads shore lines and such?

You have the option, of using either, so don't uninstall your UTX product. You only un-check it in the Scenery Manager, if you want to run with your ORBX Vector product.  Where ever you have UTX products installed...USA, Canada, Europe, you can run those by un-checking ORBX Vector.  The choose is absolutely yours.  It's all personal opinion, but at this point in time, I feel that visually, and data intense, that UTX offers the superior vector data experience in any area it is written for.  That might change with the new ORBX Vector that's in BETA at the moment. Nobody truly knows what that will detail in your sim platform. We will have to wait and see....

Agreed with Sesquashtoo, I actually removed Vector in favour of the UTX v2 releases and have been very happy with the results. UTX looks fantastic and doesn't have the performance hit that vector has been known to slap you with. Maybe things will change as vector is updated, and I hope they do. Personally I'd like the be able to enable or disable vector by region or continent. They've tied your hands having to have it either on or off.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

UTX includes landclass data, Vector doesn't (you'd need OpenLC).

UTX looks fantastic and doesn't have the performance hit that vector has been known to slap you with. Personally I'd like the be able to enable or disable vector by region or continent.

Can't you just place UTX above Vector in the scenery library? Then you should see UTX where you have coverage, and Vector everywhere else.

I've heard talk of UTX performing better than Vector, yet the head-to-haed tests I've seen show Vector+OpenLC using less memory. Could you explain how they supposedly differ in performance and perhaps why?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I should have asked the question before spending $50 buying Vector since I already have UTX USA. I just like the ORBYX GLOBEL so much I thought Vector would enhance it more. I do feel it has done better for elevation surrounding you when you are on the ground. In other words there are small hills around you when you are on the airport proper. I don't think the roads look as good though.

Vic green

Can't you just place UTX above Vector in the scenery library? Then you should see UTX where you have coverage, and Vector everywhere else.

i've been doing this for a while now. UTX USA v2 is superior to vector in my opinion, but i get the best of both worlds as vector covers the rest of the globe. i was worried that it would cause VAS issues but it seems at least with FSX-SE that it is smart about that and the load is not unusually high in the USA.. actually it seemed a bit lower than when i compared to vector-only areas! (although i did not do a comprehensive analysis just a few spot checks..maybe the utx data is more optimized somehow, i don't know..)

cheers

-andy crosby

I use UTX USA 2.1 along with FTX Global Vector and haven't yet seen any problems/conflicts.  UTX uses excludes for the entire area it covers, so as long as you have its entries above those of FTX Global Vector in the scenery library then you shouldn't have any problems.

UTX uses much better data sources than FTX Global Vector from what I've been able to discover, however those sources require purchase of a license hence the higher cost for a smaller area, whereas FTX Global Vector uses a lot of OSM and other freeware data sources which aren't as accurate and up-to-date but don't cost as much.

I love FTX Global Vector for the fact that it covers *the entire world* and is way better than the default vector scenery, however its data for the USA and Canada could use a lot of improvement.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS