Sign in to follow this  
BamaKevin

Installing Addons outside root v3 folder

They should've made it this way long ago. How many times have all of us had to do a reinstall of FSX etc. because of 1 bad addon or an addon without an uninstaller...

If I have to do any hand porting over I'll probably use external folders.

My question is do we have to create a parallel folder structure to accommodate addons (Addon Scenery, Gauges, etc)? Having done that, do we have to trick the addons into installing into these folders (and will they?) Finally, do we then manually add entries to the various config folders? 

Any info is most appreciated. 

The explanations here have made it pretty clear how to create and access directories outside the root folder.

However, looking at my P3D V2.5 root folder, I see 29Palms, A2A, Aircraft Factory, Carenado, IRIS/IRIS Pro Series, Milviz, and RealAir subdirectories. The real question is how do the proper bits get put into their proper bins when you load an aircraft?

It almost seems that creating mklink references for the Gauges, Effects, SimObjects, et al and linking to external directories may be the more "transparent" solution. Everything would follow, including the native P3D code, but it would preserve the information in the event of a full reinstall.

Lots of voodoo here...   :)

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

The real question is how do the proper bits get put into their proper bins when you load an aircraft?

It almost seems that creating mklink references for the Gauges, Effects, SimObjects, et al and linking to external directories may be the more "transparent" solution. Everything would follow, including the native P3D code, but it would preserve the information in the event of a full reinstall.

Lots of voodoo here...   :)

If the proper data is put into the correct folders, there's no need for mklink. It's all handled by the core engine. The mklink command, used incorrectly, can cause more harm than good.

Eventually the major players will follow the LM guidelines but there will always be mavericks. End result is their product will have to be reinstalled with every update.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

This system works extremely well. I have just tried it with the FlyTampa St, Maarten scenery and with an addon aircraft. ORBX I would advise to stay away from, let them give you their installers when they are ready as their sceneries have unusual and very specific requirements that they build in to their files. FlyTampa forum has a good short tutorial on a temporary installation process for V3. Combine that with the above information, like I did, and you will be pleased. The only thing I can't get to work is the FlyTampa library configurator, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

anyon figured out how to install airport afcads into P3D V3? ive looked all over the place and couldnt find where. i used to do it all the time in fsx

Thanks to all the contributors!....

I like to document my stuff, so what marks do I use to create comments?

//?

*?

;4=;In these both cases the active button (the button that is generating....works in FSUIPC4.INI

I believe this is going to be big...just...as mentioned, not new...but it IS a solution to a lot of problems past, present and future.  I think we ALL need to get onto the bandwagon here and save LM and especially ourselves a lot of grief.

Thanks again y'all!!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Thanks for all the good explanations!

I put all my sceneries (exp. ORBX) to separate folder's outside of P3D and point the corresponding cfg's to it. This is working like a charm.

However I was unable to do the same thing with Aerosoft's A319-321. I can select the Airbuses but on loading P3D says it cannot find sound files. So I checked sound.cfg of for example the A319 and even tried to set a absolute path but nothing was working. If I set a link to the P3D root folder everything is working.

Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thank's in advance, Patrick.

Just my two cent.

Airbus need Document folder wich content .ini files. May be somethings goes wrong there. Also what happen when scenery or aircraft require some .exe file to set texture or have configurator ? Do we have to do somethings special for this ?

Thanks.

Michel

Hello everyone.  I know this is an old thread, but I have just a quick question about scenery files which have been installed outside of P3D. (P3D Add-on Scenery folder in my D Drive)  Where are the scenery.cfg files now stored?  I checked IN C:\users, but they're not there.  I have a Scenery file (Reno) that I installed to P3D4 using the Lorby Add-on Organizer.  I uninstalled with this also, but it still shows in my airports.

Thanks

Edited by wyodeacon
Forgot part

Hi wyodeacon

In P3D menu select    Options>   Add-ons and look for the addon in question in the list and untick the box, click OK and that should remove the addon from P3D, also the list will show the location of it...

Thanks for replying.  The only thing in my Add-on folder is Active Sky, and Traffic Global.  I think the reason is that I installed P3Dv4, and both of those in my SSD, which is my C Drive.

The SSD is only 512gb, which is why I want all the Scenery and Aircraft files in the D Drive. (2tb)