Sign in to follow this  
belongedtoair

Not so happy with V3

That's the thing. I can pump out beautiful images, sharp, non-shimmering textures, less VAS usage and about 30% better frame rates in FSX:SE, and I have no idea why!

Out of curiosity. May I ask you when you did notice such improvements in FSX-SE?

Are you talking in general about the regular behaviour of FSX-SE or about something specific you noticed recently?

Out of curiosity. May I ask you when you did notice such improvements in FSX-SE?

Are you talking in general about the regular behaviour of FSX-SE or about something specific you noticed recently?

This is regular behavior, but enhanced with Steve's DX10 Fixer, which I have to say does wonders for the simulator in terms of visuals and VAS consumption. I can really crank up the AA and SGSAA, even with deep overcast layers, and the GPU just eats it up. SGSAA and clouds in P3D just destroys my frame rate despite the same weather engine and same cloud textures. Doesn't make sense to me. So that's why FSX:SE is remaining on my hard drive, because it remains for me the gold standard for performance, visuals, and compatibility until I can somehow get around the shortcomings of P3D. I really want P3D to be the gold standard. The lighting alone really makes it stand out.

• Upvote 1

Wait, you have a 660 Ti that works at 99%, and I have a GTX 660 that works at about 60-70%?

P3D confuses me.

Not confusing at all. This simply depends on the CPU used and settings used (specially things like resolution and AA).

FYI, Default setting for P3D will have you locked at 20 FPS which may make the sim feel like it's stuttering.  Try setting to either 30 FPS or Unlimited and see how that works for you.

You may also think about running 3DMark FireStrike 1.1 and report back the score it gives you ... that will provide some reference point to how you system is performing -- not necessarily how it will work in P3D, but will give us some reference point and from there recommendations can be made.

Cheers, Rob.

Way off topic but why do they have the stock limiter set so low?
  • Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I use an 'average' laptop for my simming. v2 was good v3 is better and smoother. It is so much faster to load!

I noticed a significant FPS boost when I switched off HDR and Tessalation. Sliders about half way with FTX Global gives about 18 FPS with Realair and A2A for me.

The thing is - you don't know your frame rate is low unless you check the indicator because it seems smooth.

In my experience you don't have to have a monster machine - maybe just compromise a bit.

To those 'on the fence' try it is my advice.

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

I use an 'average' laptop for my simming. v2 was good v3 is better and smoother. It is so much faster to load!

I noticed a significant FPS boost when I switched off HDR and Tessalation. Sliders about half way with FTX Global gives about 18 FPS with Realair and A2A for me.

The thing is - you don't know your frame rate is low unless you check the indicator because it seems smooth.

In my experience you don't have to have a monster machine - maybe just compromise a bit.

To those 'on the fence' try it is my advice.

So although I agree watching FPS will not prove anything..when you say smoother how about when you look sideways out of the cockpit with say the Aerosoft Airbus?

I ask this as 2.5 whilst very good still had the tendency to stutter at side ways views and in some cas s turning and Banking..the only time I have seen P3D run super smooth was in Rob A latest videos...but of course he does have a good system...I only run a I7 2600 OC 4.5 and a 970GC so would that cut it..

Many thanks

Mark

Yes, get a refund - for the PMDG plane.

I have a comparable system to that of the OP (i7-3820 @3.6 GHz and a GTX 670) and P3D3 runs perfectly fine with ASN, ORBX, Flightbeam airports and Aerosoft A320 installed. PMDG planes are fantastic models, but they are packed with features that most of us never use and which can overburden a system. I also dislike their pricing policy that you have to pay more than you originally paid for a plane if you switch from FSX to P3D. Given that other plane developers do that for free or for a fraction of the original price, I see no justification for this.

I used to love PMDG planes on FSX and was constantly tweaking my system, used low performance settings and avoided larger airports. Since I decided against using PMDG in P3D I can enjoy flying a Majestic Dash 8, Aerosoft A320 or QW 146 without any worries.

Peter

V3 is crashing on me almost on every flight or test. It gets quite irritating. Can't use SweetFX, v3 is crashing, removed SweetFX. Tested FsCaptain last night, it crashed after few minutes. FSX is super stable with all these. Like some paranormal force is pulling me back to FSX, and telling me not to migrate yet. I mean why should I, Fsx is super stable, smooth, addon compatible. I know that v3 will be patched probably, and that I didn't purchased it for nothing, but at the moment I have a bad taste in my mouth.

• Upvote 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

These days your minimum should be a + - 3.5GHZ or better INTEL CPU coupled with a GTX 770, 780 or 970, 980 Graphics card. (or better) Forget AMD and Radeon for FSX or P3D.

V3 is crashing on me almost on every flight or test. It gets quite irritating. Can't use SweetFX, v3 is crashing, removed SweetFX. Tested FsCaptain last night, it crashed after few minutes. FSX is super stable with all these. Like some paranormal force is pulling me back to FSX, and telling me not to migrate yet. I mean why should I, Fsx is super stable, smooth, addon compatible. I know that v3 will be patched probably, and that I didn't purchased it for nothing, but at the moment I have a bad taste in my mouth.

You don't need those with P3D v3. Especially not SweetFX.

These days your minimum should be a + - 3.5GHZ or better INTEL CPU coupled with a GTX 770, 780 or 970, 980 Graphics card. (or better) Forget AMD and Radeon for FSX or P3D.

You don't need those with P3D v3. Especially not SweetFX.

? Que?  :smile:

SweetFX is mandatory to fix lack of contrast, and to correct some hue for more realistic visuals. Also I don't need FsCaptain? So what do you recommend in default P3D V3 for contras/hue correction and passenger/airline simulation?

• Upvote 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

? Que?  :smile:

SweetFX is mandatory to fix lack of contrast, and to correct some hue for more realistic visuals. Also I don't need FsCaptain? So what do you recommend in default P3D V3 for contras/hue correction and passenger/airline simulation?

Try this site.

www.reshade.me 

Totally free and everything you could ever ask for in Post-Processing.  Better still - it doesn't care if you are running V1, 2, 3 or 99 - it just works..... beautifully!!

Try this site.

www.reshade.me 

Totally free and everything you could ever ask for in Post-Processing.  Better still - it doesn't care if you are running V1, 2, 3 or 99 - it just works..... beautifully!!

Hi,

i am new for reshade.

it is easy to set up?

Hi,

i am new for reshade.

it is easy to set up?

It is Freeware. Just Google the Reshade.me Forums.  Most Heavy-Duty / Die-Hard Simmers use this post-processing facilty to get the colours / screens / hues / lighting et.al. to how they want their particular Sim to look. It takes a little bit of nous to understand but, once mastered, who needs HDR in V3?. 

Wait, you have a 660 Ti that works at 99%, and I have a GTX 660 that works at about 60-70%?

P3D confuses me.

That's the thing. I can pump out beautiful images, sharp, non-shimmering textures, less VAS usage and about 30% better frame rates in FSX:SE, and I have no idea why!

I really want it to be the other way around! It's incredibly frustrating, and feels like a $200 mistake. I must....somehow....fix this before I lose my mind.

I've never tried the FSX Steam Edition. But I did some changes in P3DV3. Turned off mipmap VC panels, set the low resolution in PMDG performance settings and limited the fps to 22.

It's better now, I don't care much about the fps counter, it feels smooth for me. But with default scenery and textures.

The final words, I think I will try FSX SE.

• Upvote 1