Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

I suspect ASN has a memory leak in P3D V3

I as doing a flight from CYVR to KLAX to test the PMDG 777. I was at 2,7G of VAS when I first started. I started ASN in the middle of the flight and my VAS started climbing up. When I reached KLAX I was at 3,1G of VAS. I bet if I continue flying a little longer I would official ran out of memory.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I as doing a flight from CYVR to KLAX to test the PMDG 777. I was at 2,7G of VAS when I first started. I started ASN in the middle of the flight and my VAS started climbing up. When I reached KLAX I was at 3,1G of VAS. I bet if I continue flying a little longer I would official ran out of memory.

No using in betting here. Let us know how the flight ended. You are the second one in two days or so who posted 'I think I will get an OOM': what's the use in posting that? I don't get it. Just sit it out and and tell everyone if you did get an OOM or not.

No using in betting here. Let us know how the flight ended. You are the second one in two days or so who posted 'I think I will get an OOM': what's the use in posting that? I don't get it. Just sit it out and and tell everyone if you did get an OOM or not.

Lol, you're right. Not sure why people aren't finishing flights because they think they might get an OOM. Why not see it through and see what happens? Otherwise thinking something will happen instead of seeing what actually happens is kind of pointless.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Lol, you're right. Not sure why people aren't finishing flights because they think they might get an OOM. Why not see it through and see what happens? Otherwise thinking something will happen instead of seeing what actually happens is kind of pointless.

My flight was not long enough. I did make it to KLAX. The issue is the cloud were not unloading from memory. It keep going up and up as I go along

I use ASN with the latest Beta and haven't hit any OOM's as of yet. Flew a couple two hour flights without incident over the weekend in the Comanche 250. I have to say though, I've never seen an OOM on my PC even though it's a few years old now..

Pivot

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Actually I noticed the same. After flying over clouds the VAS is increasing about 400 MB constantly. I think they should do some tweaking and we should mentioned this in the HiFi Forum as well.

Philipp Schwaegerl

This has NOTHING to do with ASN. The unloading of the clouds is an LM issue as ASN does no memory management in this regard.

if you DO get OOM's then it's something to report to LM.

Remember, ASN is a weather engine, it decodes the weather and tell P3D where and how many clouds are required. It is then up to P3D to act on that. ASN b y itself does nothing to affect the VAS. Different cloud sets, etc all will affect VAS also but if they are not unloading from memory - that is P3D not ASN.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

am using

MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=20 default is MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=16

I get better VAS usage ,,,,

I can , for now do long flight with 777 , a 320 global etc

I used ASN all day yesterday. Did 737 NGX FSDT KLAS, to KATL then DRZ KLGA and back to KATL, with out resetting the sim with OrBX global. That was 7 hours of flying and no restarting and had no issue.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

No OOMS using ASN, but I am using all default clouds and stuff. Could it be some of you are using the REX clouds?

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Man! After just building a new system in anticipation of V3 and after reading all of these V3 threads the question is why was the beta testing so ............

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've done numerous 8 hours+ flights in the PMDG 777 with ASN and Rex Soft Clouds - no OOMs. All flights departed and landed at high-detail 3rd party airports like Aerosoft EGLL, Flightbeam KIAD and FSDT KJFKv2.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Hi,

The scenarios provided by the 2 simmers here are no proof of a memory leak (or memory overallocation which is another thing) either coming from ASN or P3D itself. I would call it efficient memory management instead.

Since, there is plenty of free memory in both cases, it only makes sense to skip unloading this allocated memory until a new allocation is needed that will replace it. This way if for example the already loaded cloud models and/or textures need to be rendered once again, this will happen much faster (i.e. less stutters). As I already responded on our forums, longer flights with various weather conditions reaching VAS to the limit may be needed to figure out if P3D is managing memory correctly in these circumstances.

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi,

The scenarios provided by the 2 simmers here are no proof of a memory leak (or memory overallocation which is another thing) either coming from ASN or P3D itself. I would call it efficient memory management instead.

Since, there is plenty of free memory in both cases, it only makes sense to skip unloading this allocated memory until a new allocation is needed that will replace it. This way if for example the already loaded cloud models and/or textures need to be rendered once again, this will happen much faster (i.e. less stutters). As I already responded on our forums, longer flights with various weather conditions reaching VAS to the limit may be needed to figure out if P3D is managing memory correctly in these circumstances.

Thank you for your response. I will schedule some longer flight and see if I can observe the same behavior.

Did a long haul flight yesterday from KLAX to OMDB in the PDMG 777 with ASN, MyTraffic and so on... Sliders almost maxed out in 4k -> no problems.

I don't see any memory issues at all.