Sign in to follow this  
Paul_

Challenging weather in the UK

Hi everyone

Well  .... with all this fog we have been experiencing in the UK for the last few days has anyone dialled up the real world weather in either Opus FSI or ASN and taken to the skies?

Certainly challenging times  ....

This small video clip was good to watch  ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34703566

Paul 

Nope was tempted to in the 777...if the fog continues I might do :)

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

I performed a flight recently into EGKK and that was a big challenge.  I used ASN and I had dense fog all the way to touchdown.  Taxiing was even worse, but I kinda liked the challenge and realism.  I don't envy real world pilots in that sort of scenario though.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Ahhhh  .... great to hear Jim .... beads of sweat and all of that  ...... Hahaha  :Tounge:

How were your frames rates during the decent into Gatwick? .... I guess with dense fog stutters aren't an issue!! :wink:

Ahhhh  .... great to hear Jim .... beads of sweat and all of that  ...... Hahaha  :Tounge:

How were your frames rates during the decent into Gatwick? .... I guess with dense fog stutters aren't an issue!! :wink:

Framerates were actually decent, but that's a matter of perspective.  I never expect completely smooth flights, but with the fog I was in, the frames stayed consistent with my locked 30fps.  I also use UK2000 scenery, which is pretty decent on the frames as well.  I had my traffic set at 50%, so it was rather busy during taxi, which helped with the realism.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Ah the problem in fog is never getting on the ground, that's what Cat III is for, but navigating the taxiways and ramp traffic... that's a whole different kettle of fish, given the poor visibility from a cockpit at the best of times!

Also what the AI in the sim isn't doing is replicating the real experience in the UK whenever bad weather occurs - eejits driving around without lights, cyclists meandering outside cycle lanes without flouro or lights, but with the Dr Dre's on their heads blocking all audio cues. The same level of professionalism can be found at quite large airports, if not the international hubs. 

As a mainly GA flyer who just bought Orbx ENG I've actually noticed this fog! (Opus user), and found it really frustrating haha ....... kept trying various UK locations for some GA flying and the fog seemed to be everywhere.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

biggest issue for me is that my addon airport approach lights shine through at 9DME in vis which was reported as 100m, very frustrating as the stock airport lighting acts correctly. Must be non SDK lights 

When the fog gets really heavy you can actually lose the visibility of the panel in the VC. Now THAT's foggy !

I performed a flight recently into EGKK and that was a big challenge.  I used ASN and I had dense fog all the way to touchdown.  Taxiing was even worse, but I kinda liked the challenge and realism.  I don't envy real world pilots in that sort of scenario though.

-Jim

Crikey

I did a flight in to Gatwick the other day when foggy and ASN just gave me cloud to about 300 feet then clear even though visibility was poor no issue re taxing ..was very disappointed...

Mark

Crikey

I did a flight in to Gatwick the other day when foggy and ASN just gave me cloud to about 300 feet then clear even though visibility was poor no issue re taxing ..was very disappointed...

Mark

In all honesty, my flight in to Gatwick was a bit schizophrenic. One minute I was in complete fog, no visibility and then I would get clearing (which helped with lining up on final and then back to total fog.  I loved how the ILS lighting peaked through just enough to land.  After landing, I had maybe 50 feet of visibility in front of me, which made for a challenging taxi.  Fortunately, my AI aircraft lights showed so i didn't run into anyone.

This was one of those times I sure could have used some video capture.

-Jim

Great responses chaps  .... :smile:

JYW  ..... just for the record it isn't normally as bad as this so hopefully very soon you will see your Orbx England scenery in all it's glory