Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Looking For The Windows 7 Install Tips For FS9

Cannot find the once pinned topic on the procedure to install FS9/FSX on Windows 7.

There was a special process and all I can remember was you created a MSFS folder outside of the Programs Folder. There was something you had to do in the Admin settings.

I have search the Avsim world over and over. I am building a new machine right now and will stay with Win 7 and not Windows 10 for this machine unless someone can convince me otherwise. just waiting on the last two pieces in the mail today.

Thanks for the help.

Randy

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

After install you right click your FS9.exe and choose Properties, Compatibility tab and check Run as Administrator.

Also, make sure you do not install inside the Program Files (or Program Files x86) folder.

Install it to somewhere like C:\FS9

Good luck with the install,

Attila

Also a good idea to turn off windows UAC, but do a bit of research first as some see this as a security issue.

In addition to "run as administrator" also tick "disable visual themes" and disable desktop composition"

Dont forget to install the FS9.1 update.

Finally you will have to deal with the issue of microsoft update KB3086255. There have been many threads on the subject , here is one......

http://www.avsim.com/topic/477495-cannot-run-fs9-again/

You will need to uninstall the update before you install FS9

Peter Schluter

I run all the latest and great fs9 add-ons in the x86 folder. Never had dramas. Not one. Turn UAC off and it will never conflict. Over-rated feature anyway.

I ran all the latest and greatest fs9 add-ons MONTHS past the end point for FSPIUC was supposed to be changed otherwise the world would end. Zero issues. Only reason I did it because I think another add-on added it automatically.

I've run the latest and greatest fs9 add-ons for YEARS and only recently added the 4Gb switch. Not becasue I ever needed it despite flying long haul consistently in and out of payware airports with PMDG 747 or Level D 767, but because I was bored and wanted to try it. :-I

Same as me.. I have 2 versions of FS9, one with a lot of add-ons, & another called 'Golden Wings', a regressed version to the 1930's/40's, all in the x86 folder, with UAC turned right down. I'm not bored enough to try the 4GB switch yet. When I upgraded to Windows 10, I installed yet another version of FS9 into the C:\ directory. I actually had a back-up clean version of FS9 on my hard drive that I use at our VA for new members, as it has custom South African scenery. I also have P3Dv1.4, as my laptop is not Dx11 compliant.

Anyway, all 3 versions of FS9, the ones in their default directory, the one in the c:\, as well as my P3D also in it's default directory.... All have worked perfectly in both Windows 7 & now in Windows 10. Oh, all I had to do in Windows 10 was to update graphics drivers, & it came up wit a 'DXPLAY' error that was so easy to sort out.

Good luck, the above has always worked for me.

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I just wanted to see if there was any difference by running the sim in a non default directory.

Oh, I used the registry fix tool from Flight1 just to be safe.

Methinks there are far too many urban legends out there..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Exactamente. :)

que se?