Sign in to follow this  
Opa

Installing FS2004 and/or FSX in Win 7 64 bit

I recently successfully installed FS2004 and FSX in a new computer which has Win 7 - 64 bit - Home Premium as the Operating System.I thought perhaps the procedure I used might be helpful to anyone who is contemplating moving to the WIN 7 - 64 bit platform. 1. Turned OFF UAC (user Account Control)2. Created a new folder on my C Drive (I only have one and it is not partitioned) and named that new folder FS Games.3.Directed the FS2004 installer to make the installation to FS Games. I specifically did not want it to be under the default "Program Files" location. Having it outside of "Program Files" ensures minimum problems with "permission" issues. My path for (FS2004) was therefore C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 94. I ran FS2004 one time to check everything out.5. From the MS site I then downloaded and installed the update to Version 9.1. The update exe file was executed from the Flight Simulator folder - not from a temporary folder elsewhere - as per MS instructions.For FSX the procedure was the same - except for the path.1. I directed the FSX installer to install FSX to C:\FS Games\Microsoft Flight Smiulator X2. I ran a short flight in FSX to check everything out.3. I then installed the FSX Service Pack 1 and ran a short test flight afterwards.4. Then installed Service Pack 2 and tested once again.I do not have Acceleration so that did not enter into the installation procedures.When I was done, I wanted to see where the cfg files were - for future reference and/or editing.The FS2004 (FS9) scenery.cfg is in the Main Flight Simulator 9 folder (as expected).The FS9.cfg file is here on my system:C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9AppData is a "hidden" folder.For FSX, the scenery.cfg file, which data is written to when scenery is "added", is located here on my system:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSXProgramData is a "hidden" folder.There is another scenery.cfg file in the Main FSX folder but that is only a backup containing the required default entries.The FSX.cfg file is located here on my system:C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSXAppData is a "hidden" folder.So far both versions of FS run flawlessly under Win 7 - 64 bit - with the exception of the known "bug" when adding scenery.For anyone experiencing problems adding scenery under Win 7, I recommend the following thread which has illustrated instructions:http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=205432Hope this info is useful.

Opa, I just competed a fresh install of FSX on a dedicated HD using WIN 7 Ult 64 bit, I'm using FSX Deluxe w/Acc. I have a few questions to ask of you?1. Is SP1 a seperate install or apart of FSX main install, and if so I would need to have added SP1 prior to adding Acc?2. In my add/remove panel I can only see FSX Acc not FSX? Thanks Don

Opa, I just competed a fresh install of FSX on a dedicated HD using WIN 7 Ult 64 bit, I'm using FSX Deluxe w/Acc. I have a few questions to ask of you?1. Is SP1 a seperate install or apart of FSX main install, and if so I would need to have added SP1 prior to adding Acc?2. In my add/remove panel I can only see FSX Acc not FSX? Thanks Don
I will have to leave it up to others to answer your question as I do not have Acceleration.I believe however that the GOLD edition has everything one needs.I know that I have seen several posts regarding what you need to remove (it may be SP 2) before installing Acceleration. The MS site likely has the information about that which you need.And I have seen several posts recently regarding ACC not showing up on the Add/Remove dialogue - cannot advise as again I do not have ACC.

The best answer to the add/remove question is found in the thread:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=281861&hlLook for the post by FR. Bill

Hi,None of you bumped into the DIRECTX® incompatibility message? (Win7 has DX11 installed). And if anyone bumped into this what have you done?ThanksBenny Kupfer

I had an incompatibity message with FSX, so on advice from here and other forums, downloaded DX9.5 (I think) runtime from the MS website to sit alongside the DX9 kernel that is included in DX11 (which does not appear to be compatible with FSX) and installed it. FSX + Acc now runs fine - even if I hardly ever use it! I installed FS9 in a variant of what David posted (my FS9 is 9.1 out of the box) and runs perfectly.;)

I just installed win 7 x64 the other day. When I installed FSX RTM, it ran a dx update and installed a bunch of new dlls in both system32 and systemWOW64 folders. For direct3d the system is to no replace dlls with new ones, but create different versions so each app can call the specific one it is written against. I forget the ones FSX uses but if you open the FSX files g2d.dll and g3d.dll in a text editor you will find the versions used.Anyway, FSX RTM installed d3dx9_24.dll through d3dx9_30.dll. Also some variants of xactengine, xinput, and x3audio. Plus some stuff for "managed code" (i.e. .NET) version of directx.SP1 didn't change any Dx files.SP2 installed d3dx9_30.dll through d3dx9_34.dll, d3dx10_30.dll through d3dx10_34.dll, and some new ones of the other ones. (so this is the Dx10 "preview" support.)Then today I got the latest Dx9 update from MS downloads site (Feb 10) and it installed d3dx9_35.dll and d3dx9_36.dll (and the d3dx10 ones).So what I now see on my system is:D3DCOMPILER 33 to 42d3dx9 24 to 42d3dx10 33 to 42d3dx11 42X3DAudio 1_0 to 1_7xactengine 2_0 to 2_10xactengine 3_0 to 3_6XAuido 2_0 to 2_6Note that "DirectX 11" is a set of different capabilities, and we are interested in certain ones, such as direct3d9 and direct3d10 which are "part of" DirectX11. Also direct3d9 and direct3d10 for .NET.If the required bits of this are somehow missing I would expect FSX to not run.Also note that how your graphics driver works with Direct3d has changed. Vista used something called WDDM 1.0 and Win 7 uses WDDM 1.1. Some people have reported problems which they said were fixed by forcing the driver into WDDM 1.0 mode. (Don't remember how they forced this, try searching on wddm in the forums).At any rate I have no problems with either FS 9.1 or FSX sp2 starting using as Nvidia GF 8800 GTS and the 197.45 drivers. Haven't tried any tuning or nhancer stuff yet.scott s..

Recently did a clean Win7 64 installation, and after installing relevant system drivers and OS updates, I installed both FSX and FS9, FSX in its own folder outside Program Files (x86) folder, and then a standard FS9 installation plus 9.1 update. After installing OS and both sims, plus payware aircraft, defragmented the disk with O&O. Configured FSX as suggested by Bojote and all is working well with an average 25fps with PMDG 747 at HeathrowXtreme, for me this an acceptable result. Only thing I haven't been able to make work is PIC737 when using it with FSInn. FS9 is super smooth and everything works fine. Turning off UAC as suggested by Opa is absolutely essential.RegardsJoaquin

Recently did a clean Win7 64 installation, and after installing relevant system drivers and OS updates, I installed both FSX and FS9, FSX in its own folder outside Program Files (x86) folder, and then a standard FS9 installation plus 9.1 update. After installing OS and both sims, plus payware aircraft, defragmented the disk with O&O. Configured FSX as suggested by Bojote and all is working well with an average 25fps with PMDG 747 at HeathrowXtreme, for me this an acceptable result. Only thing I haven't been able to make work is PIC737 when using it with FSInn. FS9 is super smooth and everything works fine. Turning off UAC as suggested by Opa is absolutely essential.RegardsJoaquin
I should point out that after installing everything, I did restart UAC. I only turn it off while installing something new.So far no issues editing files etc. and it all works quite smoothly for me.

I recently successfully installed FS2004 and FSX in a new computer which has Win 7 - 64 bit - Home Premium as the Operating System.I thought perhaps the procedure I used might be helpful to anyone who is contemplating moving to the WIN 7 - 64 bit platform. 1. Turned OFF UAC (user Account Control)2. Created a new folder on my C Drive (I only have one and it is not partitioned) and named that new folder FS Games.3.Directed the FS2004 installer to make the installation to FS Games. I specifically did not want it to be under the default "Program Files" location. Having it outside of "Program Files" ensures minimum problems with "permission" issues. My path for (FS2004) was therefore C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 94. I ran FS2004 one time to check everything out.5. From the MS site I then downloaded and installed the update to Version 9.1. The update exe file was executed from the Flight Simulator folder - not from a temporary folder elsewhere - as per MS instructions.For FSX the procedure was the same - except for the path.1. I directed the FSX installer to install FSX to C:\FS Games\Microsoft Flight Smiulator X2. I ran a short flight in FSX to check everything out.3. I then installed the FSX Service Pack 1 and ran a short test flight afterwards.4. Then installed Service Pack 2 and tested once again.I do not have Acceleration so that did not enter into the installation procedures.When I was done, I wanted to see where the cfg files were - for future reference and/or editing.The FS2004 (FS9) scenery.cfg is in the Main Flight Simulator 9 folder (as expected).The FS9.cfg file is here on my system:C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9AppData is a "hidden" folder.For FSX, the scenery.cfg file, which data is written to when scenery is "added", is located here on my system:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSXProgramData is a "hidden" folder.There is another scenery.cfg file in the Main FSX folder but that is only a backup containing the required default entries.The FSX.cfg file is located here on my system:C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSXAppData is a "hidden" folder.So far both versions of FS run flawlessly under Win 7 - 64 bit - with the exception of the known "bug" when adding scenery.For anyone experiencing problems adding scenery under Win 7, I recommend the following thread which has illustrated instructions:http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=205432Hope this info is useful.
David, Sooner or later most of us will migrate to Windows7-64 bit with FS 2004 as our sim of choice.How do you proceed after installing FS 2004 and the update?From what has been said in the forums all we need to do is to install the following as an examample:1. FSUIPC2. FS GENESIS Mesh files (copied from the FS9/Scenery/World/scenery folder3. Ultimate Terrain USA4. GE Pro5. REX for FS 20046. Active Sky7. Zinertek's Ulimate Water, Airport Environment, and Night EnvironmentAlso, do we need to install the following before installing the above?1. Airport 210 Textures2. ASD 21 Textures3. VOD Textures4. NOVA Textures5. Any other texture files that come to mindDo the following need to be installed from scratch or just copied over from other computer?1. World of AI,can we just copy the world of AI folder, plus aircraft and traffic files?2. AFCAD, just copy the AFCAD folder and the AFCAD files from Addon Scenery/scenery?3. Traffic Tools4. Runway 12, the folder and the Scenery Objects folder?The add scenery files can just be carried over but re-entered into the Scenery Library?Your thoughts and comments would greatly apprecited.Thank you,Don

World of AI can be copied over to Win7 but make sure you move all files in the installer directory.Make sure you take the WOAIDATA file with the installer over to your new system.If you redownload the installer and you don't take the WOAIDATA file form your old installation your history of installed airlines will be gone

Hi Opa,Just interested as it has been just over 12 months since you wrote the original post, how is it all going with FSX and FS9 installed under a directory outside of Program Files?I am looking to do this over the next couple of days and am interested if it still a winner.Any issues?Oz.

Hi Opa,Just interested as it has been just over 12 months since you wrote the original post, how is it all going with FSX and FS9 installed under a directory outside of Program Files?I am looking to do this over the next couple of days and am interested if it still a winner.Any issues?Oz.
Nothing adverse to report - all works well for me in either version.I did fail to mention that after completing the installs as I described, that I did turn UAC back on and have left it on.

Nothing adverse to report - all works well for me in either version.I did fail to mention that after completing the installs as I described, that I did turn UAC back on and have left it on.
Fantastic.I will certainly be giving that a go now.Cheers again.