Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HiFlyer

New York City X V2 Scenery by Drzewiecki Design FSX and P3D

I purchased V2 and the NYC Airports scenery during this current sale. I spent some time last evening flying the area, in FSX, in the MilViz Baron B55 equipped with one Flight 1 GTN750, and flying in daylight in default fair weather. My system specs are in my signature below.  I understand that this topic is in the P3D Forum, but the topic title relates to both FSX and P3D.  

I experienced good to very good frame rates at all times, never falling below 20 fps, and most often between 25 fps and 30 fps. I have my fps locked at 30. Amazingly, my fps did not seem to be dependent on what sceneries I had loaded. I have previously used other developers' (Aerosoft, FSDT, Megascenery) hi-res NYC scenery and other hi-res KLGA and KJFK airports and my frame rates would fall below 20 and sometimes below 10 fps.  I experimented with loading/unloading the Drzewiecki NYC area airports, one at a time. Then tried different combinations of two of them loaded. Then tried loading all of them at once. I just could not identify any significant difference in fps.  

However!

I did experience for most of the evening the dreaded bongs of impending OOM.  I timed the interval  between bongs at most often approx 10 seconds. I could reduce or eliminate the bongs if I unloaded all but one airport unless I flew directly over Manhattan. I experimented with the lower res textures and with varying the distance load of airport detail. Made a difference, but did not seem to make a big difference. I kept AI aircraft at all times, but did turn off the gate animations. I did not experience an OOM crash, just the bongs sounding out that one was near.

I also changed seasons by changing the date of the year in FSX and saw little difference as well. I feel I must mention that the winter textures in Drzewiecki NYC v2 were too white and bright for me. 

Frank Patton
MSI Z490 WiFi MOB;  i7 10700k Comet Lake 3.8 Ghz CPU; Ripjaws 32 gb DDR4 3600; ASUS GTX 1070 TI Turbo 8GB; MasterCase H500M; Corsair H100i Pro cooler; Corsair RMX850X PSU; ASUS VG289 4K 27"; Honeycomb Alpha Yoke A+.  Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor; AOPA Member #07379126 
                        There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit! - Benjamin Jowett

I took the plunge and bought New York X and KLGA on the last day of the sale. After installing them I must say I'm really impressed! The performance is stellar in P3Dv3. With New York X and KLGA activated, I get >20 fps on the runway facing Manhattan in the PMDG NGX on my triple monitor setup (5910x1080; 4770K@4.6 + GTX780). VAS at around 3.3 Gb. This is with reasonable settings and 10% AI limited to 70 planes with Air Traffic Manager. As soon as I take off fps increase to >30 fps. Right over Manhattan I still have >30 fps. Actually on my system the performance with New York X is better than with the default New York. And above all, the scenery looks fantastic. For me, this was a great buy! I was very skeptical after buying KJFK in last year's sale (because of the performance), but these two addons are really great!

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

40%
    $10,150.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now