Sign in to follow this  
WernerR

Freeze on wind entry

Hello! Was going to fly a delivery flight from KBFI to ENGM today, but encountered a problem shortly into the flight while entering enroute wind data on the route data page.

Some of the waypoints was entered as for example N6630.0W08000.0, resulting in a waypoint called WPT1 in the FMC. When entering wind data, all the panels froze. PFD/ND froze, FMC didn't work, and no other functions worked either. Even tried disconnecting generator and battery, but nothing happened.

Wind entry into "normal" waypoints work fine. Second picture below is after reloading of the saved flight (I can send this to PMDG if you'd like). Sorry about the grainy picture, saved them as GIF in stead of JPG/PNG...

Problem reproduced once, but second time it worked fine.

Flightplan:

DCT YNY DCT SAVIT/N0443F410 DCT SELUM J508 YMM DCT
6630N08000W 6830N07000W DCT BOPUT/M078F410 DCT 69N060W 69N050W
69N040W 68N030W 67N020W 65N010W DCT ISVIG/N0386F410 DCT BELGU DCT

panelfreeze1.GIF

panelfreeze2.GIF

I don't believe there is anything you can do to undo it. On my flight this evening the panels, the FMCs and the PFDs froze. I wasn't entering wind data at the time (did that before t/o), but it may have had something to do with wind data: right before the freeze the estimated fuel at destination dropped to a much lower number and the Using RSV fuel message appeared. That seems consistent with the tailwinds I entered suddenly disappearing.

I tried for 10 minutes to solve the issue, but as a result all my FSUIPC autosaves were corrupt as well.

Marc ter Heide

Hi,

I got also the same issue today twice and once two days ago while entering the wind data manually in the dat page.

I started recently to do so (I only entered an average wind on the init page before) and experienced since 3 freezes out of 5 attempts for the manual wind entry.

The freezes occurred at different times. One occurred while I was entering the wind, another happened after I completed the wind data entry and started to program the descent forecast and the third one occurred once everything completed while taxiing to the active.

In any case it never happened with average wind entered on the init page. And twice I could successfully enter all the wind data at once without freeze.

I can send a ticket to report the issue as well but now that the issue has been made known, I think it really is something that needs to be worked on.

Also, I don't if it is still planned to add the acars function on the next sp for the NGX but it could be good to correctly identify the issue to avoid that it impacts the acars function as well.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I got also the same issue today twice and once two days ago while entering the wind data manually in the dat page.

I had an issue similar to yours about 6-9 months ago. When I attempted to enter the wind direction/speed for the second waypoint of a route the mouse cursor changed from a pointer to an hour glass and the flight was over. The method I use now is to enter the complete route including the STAR and Approach to runway for the destination airport. I have no issue with wind entries now. Prior to this method, the route in the FMC ended at the end of the core route. I would enter the STAR and Approach when close to the destination airport. Now I must have the complete route in the FMC before entering winds by waypoint. Maybe this will help with your problem.

• Upvote 1

Hello Michael,

Sorry for the late answer, I have been pretty busy lately. Thanks for your advise I will try selecting the STAR and approach before entering the wind data as well to see what happens.

I'm also in touch with the support after having submitted a ticket. I will post here if a consistent solution is found.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Am I understanding that if in order for this freeze to be a non-issue I must have the entire route entered prior to entering wind data?

Including SID's & STAR's

What if you have to change the STAR on the way in due to weather change?

If this scenario happens, it would probably be towards the end of the cruise portion of the flight, and the descent forecast already in the FMC.

With that in mind, would changing up the star up the likelihood of a freeze, or would it be irrelevant because the wind data is already in there?

Hi,

There is no issue in selecting the STAR and approach on the ground. If the wind changes or the ATC assignes you another STAR and runway, just select the new STAR and runway in flight when you get you arrival clearance.

Unless you have manually modified the STAR in the FMC, it will replace the whole portion with no trouble.

Regarding the descent forecast, as far as I know, it is not bound to a particular STAR. So I don't think it is an issue to enter it at the beginning of the flight.

Actually, in the sim for a short flight or if I fly an aircraft that is not equipped with ACARS and CPDLC irl, I enter the descent forecast from my flight plan on ground whether I select a STAR.

If the aircraft I fly in sim is equipped with ACARS or CPDLC in real, I simulate this by entering the descent forecast shortly before the TOD.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg