Sign in to follow this  
738Captain

KB2670838

Is this still an issue? Has anyone found a solution besides removing it? KB2670838 was causing my FSX SE to crash with a Terrain.dll error. 

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I'm very well aware of the problems with the update, that's why I'm asking if anyone found a solution other than removing it.

I'm puzzled - are you using IE9 or AMD graphics? Why do you think this particular patch is your issue? The answer to you question is: no - just remove the patch and when it appears again in auto updates, just deselect it and hide it.

DJ

Is this still an issue? Has anyone found a solution besides removing it? KB2670838 was causing my FSX SE to crash with a Terrain.dll error. 

So, when you uninstalled KB2670838 the terrain.dll errors went away?  It updated IE10 only.  The only known error caused by this security update was the d3d11.dll being shown as the cause and this dll was connected to SweetFX.

The terrain.dll crash is caused by high settings coupled with high autogen settings.

If you want to remove the KB, it will remove IE10 and take you back to an earlier version of IE.  When this KB started causing issues, I moved to FireFox and removed IE from my computer system.  This included going to the Add/Remove Programs, then looking on the left column and opening "Turn Windows features on or off" and then deselecting IE installation.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So, when you uninstalled KB2670838 the terrain.dll errors went away?  It updated IE10 only.  The only known error caused by this security update was the d3d11.dll being shown as the cause and this dll was connected to SweetFX.

The terrain.dll crash is caused by high settings coupled with high autogen settings.

If you want to remove the KB, it will remove IE10 and take you back to an earlier version of IE.  When this KB started causing issues, I moved to FireFox and removed IE from my computer system.  This included going to the Add/Remove Programs, then looking on the left column and opening "Turn Windows features on or off" and then deselecting IE installation.

Best regards,

I remove FSX box and did a clean FSX SE install recently. I started getting a CTD caused by the Terrain.dll, so I did a search and found a post on the FSX Steam forum saying to remove KB2670838. When I did, the CTDs due to the Terrain.dll stopped.

The "fix" did not work for everyone and the fix was not related to terrain.dll - http://steamcommunity.com/app/316010/discussions/1/535152276588382377/.%C2'>

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The "fix" did not work for everyone and the fix was not related to terrain.dll - 

Best regards,

Well in my case it was, and a few others as well. I know this because I kept getting CTDs, and every time it was the Terrain.dll. 

That's because there were less things running in the background when you removed the KB.  The community wide solution for the terrain.dll is lowering your settings IF you have a lot of autogen turned on.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I think you might find this interesting. After installing FSX SE, I used the same setting I uesd in FSX Box Edition, including the Autogen setting. I did my test flights in the Caribbean. I think we can agree it's less Autogen intensive than cities like DFW, ORD and YYZ. But Here's the interesting part, like I said before, after removing KB2670838, the Terrain.dll CTDs stopped. Since then, I have successfully completed flights between MIA, DFW, YYZ and ORD without a single Terrain.dll CTD.

Thanks, Fareed, some very useful info in your posts. I deleted 2670838 and my system is happier (not that I ever cared much about Internet Explorer).

Greg