Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

When will PMDG bless Win 10?

Hard to believe or not but it's true. And many people choose to run old games because they prefer them. Everybody thought music on vinyl had had its day but now it's making a comeback.

The point is games and addons use OS facilities. If those facilities get changed or withdrawn the game is broken until patched in some way. So OS updates can break games and addons.

My new machine has not even a CD drive anymore.  :smile:

Never missed it, never need it. Installed Win 10 from USB 3.0 Stick.

Add me to the list of Windows 10 proponents. I upgraded from 7 early on in August and it's all been good. Everything just seems to work better (very objective, I know  :smile: ). The only minor issue I had was that the display and computer would not go to sleep as long as one of the Saitek controllers (I forget which one) was plugged in. That was resolved with the big Win 10 update a few weeks ago.

Also, I didn't do a clean install, just upgraded directly from Win 7. This too didn't seems to cause any problems.

Walter Meier

Everything just seems to work better (very objective, I know  :smile: ).

Gotta love the butt dyno.

(For the record, I do agree with you - regardless of specific, empirical evidence.)

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Win10 will bring some minor performance improvements specifically around the VC in P3D V3.x.  

Most of P3D development work is done on Win7, Win8, Win10 PCs so LM are making sure Win10 is supported.  I'll be doing a fresh install of Win10 Enterprise (it has some additional features I want) during the holidays once V3.1 is officially released.

As for upgrades, I believe MS will do a system scan prior to installing Win10 upgrade and confirm that it has all the drivers needed to support the hardware it finds ... if you have any external USB devices (or eSATA etc.), make sure they are ALL plugged in and powered on before MS do their Win10 compatibility scan.

Cheers, Rob.

My new machine has not even a CD drive anymore.  :smile:

Never missed it, never need it. Installed Win 10 from USB 3.0 Stick.

I hardly ever use my CD drive, but I wouldn't want to be without one. I have a lot of backup media on CD and DVD and how else would I rip a CD?

The only thing left to say is hold out and wait.  Don't be surprised when you have to install Windows 10.  I was a holdout for a little while after the surge of Win10 installs from folks, but after the driver updates I thought why not try it, I had 30 days.  I don't regret the upgrade one bit.  As for legacy media, it's really a crapshoot whether we will see the day CDs and DVDs come back into focus.  With everything going to the cloud now, it's hard to stay the purist I vowed to be.  When it comes to old games, I am right there with you.  I have quite a few games that I play the heck out of and some I wish i could again, but that's why there is GOG and similar companies who port and patch old games so they can still be played.

As for FS9, have you tried creating a iso file out of it and running it through a virtual drive?  Since you own the game and you would technically be circumventing EULA (as you are just adjusting the way the computer reads your media), I don't see why that wouldn't work.

BACK ON TOPIC:  I really don't think there needs to be any blessings for PMDG aircraft to work in Windows 10.  I've seen videos online of folks using Win10, using P3D v3 and PMDG and they all work fine.

-Jim

Yes, that's what I plan to do. I don't see how I can be forced to upgrade to Win 10 if I don't wish to (my laptop is still running XP quite happily), but the free upgrade offer will eventually come to an end and I might get tempted to upgrade as that point approaches.

I already have a workaround for the rare times I use FS9, I only used it as an example of Win10 breaking something. My real concern with Win 10 is the stated aim of Microsoft to drive out legacy software. Once you cross the rubicon to Win 10 there is no way back and Microsoft has all the control. You can't stop it updating.

FS9 is a 11 year old obsolete game  designed to run on an obsolete Windows 2000/ XP, or  98/ME. It's not going to last for ever

That's no reason to knowingly stop it running now. Some still prefer it to FSX, which is a nine year old obsolete game that far more people use.

I'm slightly uncomfortable with the way Microsoft is heading with Windows 10 and don't want to be put in a position where legacy software and utilities I run for business are no longer usable after some future update.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Win10 Enterprise you have complete control over updates ... but that's not free.

Cheers, Rob.

I downloaded windows 10 to my main machine that runs FSX and all my addons plus PMDG NGX and I could not see the menues in FSX........?

I then returned to windows 7 and since then the following problem exsists.......

Also I have this machine networked to a Laptop running windows 10 and I cannot  access the C: Folder on either machine. I get an error you do not have permission to do that.......The ? is how do you access these folders.....Can anybody help........

Regards Brian Jennings.

I hardly ever use my CD drive, but I wouldn't want to be without one. I have a lot of backup media on CD and DVD and how else would I rip a CD?

I have all backups on a NAS and do not use CDs at all.

The last thing using CDs was my car which I sold in 2009 ;) Thex next car used SD Cards and my car now has an iPod interface.

So no need for a CD drive at all any longer :smile:

That's no reason to knowingly stop it running now. Some still prefer it to FSX, which is a nine year old obsolete game that far more people use.

I'm slightly uncomfortable with the way Microsoft is heading with Windows 10 and don't want to be put in a position where legacy software and utilities I run for business are no longer usable after some future update.

That is my point. The default boxed version no longer installs in Win7. Beig obsolocent, Microsost has no longer any interest in it!

That software is not updated to match the current OS versions is not a Microsoft problem (well for FS9 it is, but you have to stop support sometime after 10 years ;) ).

You cannot be backwards compatible for decades.

What else do you mean with "the way Microsoft is heading"? I think Microsoft is doing great work lately regarding OS and phones.

Win10 Enterprise you have complete control over updates ... but that's not free.

Cheers, Rob.

I was wondering about that as I'd noticed that I couldn't turn that function off when I got Win10 installed. Thanks for mentioning that. One of the bigger topics that I used to drive home when I taught Sec+ was about updates and managing that process for operability and security. Auto Win updates can get in the way of both of those.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm still having a hard time understanding why people think that upgrading an OS will break a flight simulator add-on.  Win10 isn't anything revolutionary or that different to cause programs, add-ons and the like to just fail.  I dove in and upgraded, against my initial judgement, but I have no regrets whatsoever.  All of my CADD software works just fine, Office works (of course, it's Microsoft, right?), Adobe products work, everything just works and as it should.  I run P3D v3 with a host of add-ons with not a single things breaking.  As Kyle pointed out, as long as all of your drivers are up to date, you shouldn't have any problems.  As for those who are reluctant to upgrade (which I don't blame you for being skeptical), Microsoft is going to aggressively seek out each and every machine still running old OS's and hound the heck outta ya to upgrade.  If you read the tech trades, articles have been published that state that Microsoft has already been sneaky in sending preinstalls to users machines that have Win7, 8, 8.1 to be at the ready for when they relent and decide to upgrade.

I tested the waters, they're fine. <-- if anyone actually puts stock in my opinion. :|

-Jim

Seriously...?

Are you new to the computer world? :)

Seriously...?

Are you new to the computer world? :)

Actually, no I am not new and yes, seriously.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

That is my point. The default boxed version no longer installs in Win7. Beig obsolocent, Microsost has no longer any interest in it!

You have that backwards. The box version of FS9 no longer installs in Win 10 because of the change they made to CD validation services. It was perfectly usable in Win 7. In effect Microsoft made their software unusable by the way they changed Win 10 (it was already not supported).

That software is not updated to match the current OS versions is not a Microsoft problem (well for FS9 it is, but you have to stop support sometime after 10 years ;) ).

You cannot be backwards compatible for decades.

What else do you mean with "the way Microsoft is heading"? I think Microsoft is doing great work lately regarding OS and phones.

Is there a ten year rule for OS support? Us FSX users will have to watch out next year then. Previously Microsoft attempted to maintain backwards compatibility if they could. Now the emphasis is the opposite. They are actively removing backwards compatibility. Clearly this gives them more freedom to develop Windows, but it will make people increasingly unhappy. We don't all ditch old stuff to move onto the latest shiny thing.

Then there's the user data collection and the targetted adverts that come with Win 10. You can no longer opt to decline certain updates either. You can't go back to Win 7 after 30 days. These things taken together are why I am uncomfortable with the new direction Win 10 is taking. It may turn out to be fine, but then again it might be like the guy who jumped off the Empire State Building saying "it's all going well so far" as he passes the third floor.

ki9cAAb.jpg

While a number of you have confirmed that FSX/PMDG/etc are now functioning smoothly in Win10, so far noone has chimed in to indicate whether upgrading brings any advantages for FSX.  My flight-simming rig is used almost exclusively for flight-simming.  Thus, I am mostly trying to learn if I am missing out on something performance-wise by not upgrading.  Switching to FSX-SE, for example, has already brought many performance improvements for the $4 that it cost me; better FPS and better VAS management.  Will WIn10 help further with VAS or some other area(s)?

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones