Sign in to follow this  
Dreamflight767

FMS ETOPS set-up

You should end up with:
HOLD
DISCO
ETP

Perfect timing, just starting a PANC-PHNL trip and was looking for this answer. Found the beautiful ASA Spirit of the Islands by Goldstar textures in the library and had to fly her.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hey guys. I think there is some confusion on the ETOPs stuff. First, put the range rings based on the airport that your etops entry point and ETOPs exit point is based on. That is 394 nautical miles for a winglet aircraft and 388 for a non winglet aircraft. These distances are your single engine, cruise speed (TAS) in still wind conditions at 10,000 feet. When we do a CYVR-PHOG it most likely is 394 based on Portland and 394 from PHOG (remember you have to take in to account the weather forecast weather conditions for your ETOPs airports which are more restrictive that a regular alternate airport). As soon as you are outside these range rings you are in ETOPs airspace. Now you input the coordinates of your equal time point (ETP). On this leg there is only one ETP. Going over the Atlantic there may be a couple. So your ETP would be the equal time point from PHOG and Portland (KPDX) and being an equal time point, obviously this is based on wind conditions. That's just a quick idea of how to get started. Lots more to know for ETOPs flying but I gotta get to bed! Take care!

Jack Colwill

Hi Jack:

So if I understand, you actually put the rings around your ETOPS alternates and not around the ETOPS lat./long.?  How are those 394/388 distance calculated?  Do you know if they are available from PFPX?  

I really gotta jump seat on an ETOPS flight and watch this stuff.  Stuck over the water for 5-6 hrs and me asking questions, I'm sure they'd drop to 10,000 just to throw me out.  LOL.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

So if I understand, you actually put the rings around your ETOPS alternates and not around the ETOPS lat./long.?  How are those 394/388 distance calculated?  Do you know if they are available from PFPX?  

This is exhibited in the 777 Tutorial flight, if you have the 777. The numbers come from the amount of distance flown in one hour. It's a nominal value, though, and can vary by operator, depending on the profile that's in their OpSpec.

Kyle Rodgers

Is it always an hour?

Thanks!

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

Is it always an hour?

Seeing that the ETOPS segment begins at an hour away from the suitable ETOPS alternate...  :wink:

In other words, if you can remain within an hour of a suitable airport, you're not ETOPS.

Kyle Rodgers

But won't that change if you're ETOPS 120 min, 180 min, etc. or is that not relevant and remain an hour.

Aaron Ortega

But won't that change if you're ETOPS 120 min, 180 min, etc. or is that not relevant and remain an hour.

Nope. If you don't go outside of 60 min, you're not ETOPS-anything...

You're determining where you're in the ETOPS segment. Dispatch isn't going to hand you a route that isn't within the ETOPS rule your carrier is certed for (or they shouldn't).

Kyle Rodgers

Good stuff.  Thanks!

PS - Stand-by for more questions.   :wink:

Aaron Ortega

Good stuff.  Thanks!

PS - Stand-by for more questions.   :wink:

Fire away. If I'm not here to answer it, someone else will be.

Kyle Rodgers