Sign in to follow this  
clocki

High VAS - OOM on every flight

Hello simmers,

since V3 I'm having much problems with OOM's on nearly every flight and even on simple flights. Never had that on FSX or 2.5 (afaik).
I'd like to describe you my flights so you know what I've done. I have reinstalled V3.1 after removal of 3.0 as I thought there could be a V3.0 problem. So the sim is currently only running with the named addons and nearly clean on that.

1. flight test (on 3.0 with a full sim)
Flight from Hannover (German airports) to Mallorca (Aerosoft) with the PMDG 737 and ORBX Vector+Global+OLC;FreeMeshX but no other photoscenery etc.
The flight at all was fine but on 12nm final of Mallorca I got an warning of high VAS load via FSUIPC. I looked into a program and saw I'm on 4,1GB. Maybe a mile or two later I got the OOM error of course.

2. flight (still 3.0)
With the same full sim and that flight was only with FSX AFCADs from avsim.com on rather normal airports. Started LHBP towards ELLX with the B777 made by PMDG.
Overhead Germany I already got an OOM error. Reloaded my flight and continued towards ELLX. Here the same on approach. Sadly I forgot to look after the VAS :/

3. flight ( 3.1)
Scenery installed is only Aerosoft Düsseldorf, FlyTampa Vienna and ORBX Global+Vector and FreeMeshX.
On departure with the Aerosoft A319 I had a VAS usage of 3,72GB. That was on DEPARTURE!!
Overhead Germany and northern Austria the VAS went down to 3,6GB. During approach on the arrival route and 25nm final I then had already again 3,8GB. Approaching the runway with low visibility and 3,9GB I got the crash with OOM error.
There was no other airport scenery installed like Munich,Frankfurt which we crossed.

On 3.1 I did not that much test flights but on another local flight the VAS usage was very high without any scenery. Always 1,6GB-2,2GB and it's not releasing memory when leaving the area :/

I work as paramedic in 12h shifts so flying (within P3D) is good to relax and makes much fun. A very good thing to start a flight after a night shift :) But thats currently not possible without 1-3 restarts of the sim.

I would like to know where the problem is. Is it mine fault I made during installation or during config? Is there a possible setting I made false? Is it a software problem? Is it a user fault? .........

My system:
Windows 7 x64
Intel i5 4670k 3,50Ghz but overclocked to 4,2Ghz by factory
8GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 2GB (Res in the sim 1920x)

If needed I can upload the Prepar3D.cfg to see the my settings and the few tweaks.

Happy New Year

Greetings Eddi :smile:

Your using vector,it causes OOMS like no other with all the settings turned on it uses almost 900mb of VAS by itself. You can turn all the stuff off and have just the coast lines for about 200mb of VAS. I never had an oom till I bought vector and they happened every flight till I Uninstaller it. Orbx doesn't seem to care about fixing it either,UTX does the same thing and only uses 400mb of VAS

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Somebody please break this record, Cause everytime, and I mean I every post I have seen with VAS issues always has a PMDG aircraft in use.

As far as VAS issue posts go, I have seen more posts with issues using PMDG, more than I have seen of FTX Vector. Always mostly NGX or 777.

Got both, but still enjoying GA at the moment, o also got vector, not looking forward to my pmdg test flight some x months down the line.

I suggest you turn down sliders in graphics, or find a plane to fly that is designed for P3d with addons.

Failing that, wait till LM do a 64bit P3D remix, then your PMDG will be worth the  $X@X#*££$+"

Somebody please break this record, Cause everytime, and I mean I every post I have seen with VAS issues always has a PMDG aircraft in use.

If you had finished reading the OP, you'd have realized that he was having the same problem with Aerosoft's A319 -- except that his memory problems with the A319 appeared much sooner.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Can't see why people insist on blaming this that and the other with improper testing. How about running the PMDG or Aerosoft 319 with no freemesh, no addon airport, and default P3D config. Also, if you are running a four core or more with HT enabled, apply an AM that enables just 4 LPs, like 85 (or 116 on a 4 core if you need to avoid core zero).

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 3.1 I did not that much test flights but on another local flight the VAS usage was very high without any scenery. Always 1,6GB-2,2GB and it's not releasing memory when leaving the area :/

Can you post a screenshot of the error message and the VAS usage?

P3DV3.x is very good with the VAS... I suspect its something else.

Initially when I installed P3DV3.0 I too was getting a pop up error message about memory..and I assumed it was VAS...actually it was my Page file...that was the issue. 

Another thing you could do is, in Vector setting un check small streets... and un check items you really do not need... like railway lines etc..

Your using vector,it causes OOMS like no other with all the settings turned on it uses almost 900mb of VAS by itself. You can turn all the stuff off and have just the coast lines for about 200mb of VAS. I never had an oom till I bought vector and they happened every flight till I Uninstaller it.

Yup..I agree.. this is a killer and the most valuable thing in Vector is the coast lines...The rest I don't care.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

this (Vector) is a killer and the most valuable thing in Vector is the coast lines...The rest I don't care.

Not fair to blame ORBX either. A couple of hundred Mb is not going to save anyone from OOMs.

90% of what I read about VAS issues is misleading. The trend isn't PMDG or ORBX. What the OP says "3,6GB...3,8GB...3,9GB..." is the trend, a trend whereby the memory use grows hand over fist until more is asked for and none can be allocated. The sim is probably furiously making way for some component fooled into allocating more and more memory to a pointless task. What's needed is to single out the item causing that behaviour. Reduce the sim to defaults and stock objects, introduce one addon at a time. If the fault occurs with the PMDG, and also the Aerosoft, it's not a certainty, but it's probable that other than they use differing amounts of VAS, they do not otherwise contribute to the error in this case.

90% of what I read about VAS issues is misleading. The trend isn't PMDG or ORBX. What the OP says "3,6GB...3,8GB...3,9GB..." is the trend, a trend whereby the memory use grows hand over fist until more is asked for and none can be allocated. The sim is probably furiously making way for some component fooled into allocating more and more memory to a pointless task. What's needed is to single out the item causing that behaviour. Reduce the sim to defaults and stock objects, introduce one addon at a time. If the fault occurs with the PMDG, and also the Aerosoft, it's not a certainty, but it's probable that other than they use differing amounts of VAS, they do not otherwise contribute to the error in this case.

I read so many posts where people get a sim like P3D, and then immediately load every possible add on at once, fly it, and run into problems. As you said, start with the basic sim, and one or two things at a time, fly it a few times, and if it is OK, then add one or two more. Makes it so easy to identify what is causing problems. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Not fair to blame ORBX either. A couple of hundred Mb is not going to save anyone from OOMs.

Not assigning blame..

I am trying to do  a cost benefit for each addon feature...  I can't trim the feature on the 777. I tried eliminating external view (Saved about 200 MBs) but I like the fixed spot view of the 777. so I couldn't live without that.

I stopped buying the orbx regional sceneries since I felt I could live without that. I  like the Orbx high resolution coasts so I do not want to compromise on that...but I could do without the small streets and save some bits of MB..

:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Not assigning blame..

I am trying to do  a cost benefit for each addon feature...  I can't trim the feature on the 777. I tried eliminating external view (Saved about 200 MBs) but I like the fixed spot view of the 777. so I couldn't live without that.

I stopped buying the orbx regional sceneries since I felt I could live without that. I  like the Orbx high resolution coasts so I do not want to compromise on that...but I could do without the small streets and save some bits of MB..

:)

If you turn off preloaded sounds or somthing like that it'll save about 200mb of VAS

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I'm seeing this issue too. I have my setup identically in v3.1 as I did in v3, but now memory isn't unloading and seems to eventually OOM, despite starting out around 3.0GB VAS in use. I think I saw somewhere someone put it down to the use of road traffic in v3.1. They stated that if you disable road traffic then the memory leak doesn't occur. I might get some time to test tomorrow so will report back if I confirm this to be the case. FWIW I'm running it at 10%.

Do you have ai traffic?

I found out when i use the traffic optimizer it saves me 20ü-300 mb vas.

P3d v3.1

Aerosoft egll extended

Pmdg 777

Mytraffic 6 35 % setting

Active sky next

Gsx

Fs2crew

Gep3d

Utx 2 eurooe

Free mesh x

Before treaffic optimizer i had between 300-450 directly after startup. No i have between 750-800 mb vas.

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Hi just in case your not aware PMDFG have released a new 777 installer that saves 38% of VAS usage.

might be worth a shot.

here's a link

http://www.avsim.com/topic/481007-01jan16-new-year-new-updates-for-the-777-product-line/

steve.

Fantastic news thank you

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT