Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

I76700k OC - ASUS 5 ways optimization or Old School BIOS digging?

Is it the latest Ai Suite from the Asus website

All works fine with my board and I am sure that  yours will be fine as well Martin.  There are some peculiar  traits that I am experiencing that I hope a future bios update will fix.

My biggest annoyances 1. long bios to OS handoff- typically 30-seconds.  2. Using "ASUS Diagnostics" test for  "RTC" results in "RTC fails accuracy. "

Came with 1302 bios installed, currently running 1602.

Using:  ASUS AI Suite 3 V1.01.30  Past tense, uninstalled using manual tuning now.

I was playing around a bit more with stress testing and such, (I even pushed the CMOS Reset button).  Failed the Rog "RealBench" test@ 4.5GHz @ 1.28V  (It went into screen saver  during the test, not sure if this contributed to the fail.).  I set 1.29v adaptive, (with LLC, on auto- measured volts CPU Z is 1.312v under load and .832v @ idle @ 4.5GHZ ).  Stable 1-hour under RealBench, max temp once 70c.

I would expect Post to OS handoff to be 6-second range and of course no RTC errors under diagnostics.

Well...I see that my thread is pretty much alive :-)

Somebody had to kick it in the pants. :>)  Didn't mean to hijack the thread, thought it was  pertinent to your original post though marginal at times. :>)

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Always overclock in the bios directly.

I used this guide:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18692676

I got 4.7GHz stress test stable with 1.38v

No, sorry, I disagree. Many use Asus 5 way optimization with great success. Asus auto rules are now very good.

Better advice would be try it and see how you go. Some experienced overclockers use 5 way optimisation as a basis for further tweaking.

Just a little bit update then. I tried to use ASUS 5WO, but with no luck. The software tried to find base clock, memory settings and many other aspects that I didn't want to change. I had a few BSODs even though AI Suite said that I passed the test.

Well yes, that's the whole point. Why didn't you want to change those other parameters?  Not sure why you wouldn't want optimum memory settings etc.

When you said "tried to find", did you allow it to do so, or did you try to interfere with the process somehow? 

You can configure the stress tests it runs to run for longer, up to many hours. Better results would have been achieved setting "Total Stress Test Duration" to a longer test. The default setting is only valid for 80% of CPU's.

Returned back to classic manual BIOS digging. 4.7 with 1.35v. easily passed both Realbench and AIDA64 1hours tests. The temperature has never gone higher than 61C with heavy overcast and ~300AI in Heathrow area. Very stable, even though H110 cooler is quite noisy thing.

Well at least you are happy, that's the main thing. Most swap out the noisy Corsair fans for some nice Noctua fans.

Just read this and do as they say. Very well written and easy to understand for non-technical guys like myself. Try to stay with 1.32 - 1.35 voltage for 4.6 - 4.7 with 0.02 safety margin.

http://rog.asus.com/...s-viii-extreme

Useful link in case 5 way optimization doesn't work out for me. So thanks for that.

Using:  ASUS AI Suite 3 V1.01.30  Past tense, uninstalled using manual tuning now.

Did you uninstall Ai Suite using the special Asus tool. Some have had problems after uninstallation, hence the tool from Asus.

I use the 5 way for my 5930k but I do not use the automaitc section. I use the TPU section where you can set many variables manually. When you do it this way you can then save that OC setup and use it when you want.

Example; I will have a certain OC setup for P3D so when I go to use P3D I go back into DIP5, select TPU, select the OC setup I made for P3D and activate it. When done I can revert back to default clocks just as easy. Several OC setups for different games works best for me.

This is cool because I can mess with CPU core voltage and CPU frequency ratio on the fly, even while in the sim and see how it goes.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Yes I have that on my present Ivy Bridge system. It doesn't actually save the overclock settings in the BIOS. As you say, it reverts back to stock.

You have to set the overclock profile each time. I prefer a permanent overclock, plus adaptive voltage so it throttles back when not required.

I used this guide:

Thank you for the link Gordon.  I love those UK guys, I used them for my 17 2600k but was unable to find them on this chip.  I set it up like they say and will stress test later.  5-mins RealBench no problem.  4.5GHz@1.312v as measured in CPU Z (1.320v actual in bios setting).  I guess I am seeing vDroop now as under load volts drop to 1.28V in CPU Z. 5-mins stress 67c one core max temp as measured on Real Temp GT.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Did you uninstall Ai Suite using the special Asus tool. Some have had problems after uninstallation, hence the tool from Asus.

Just now. :>) Thank you Martin.  Only thing that was running that normal uninstall did not remove was ASUS fan control but the cleaner removed that.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

Just a little bit update then. I tried to use ASUS 5WO, but with no luck. The software tried to find base clock, memory settings and many other aspects that I didn't want to change. 

thing.

Gary,

I've just remembered... if you didn't want 5 way optimization to alter base clock, then you should have hit the TPU stage 1 button instead of TPU stage 2.  :smile:

I've just remembered... if you didn't want 5 way optimization to alter base clock, then you should have hit the TPU stage 1 button instead of TPU stage 2.  :smile:

Hmmm...I thought that TPU Stage 2 is for those folks with liquid coolers. As I have H110, I chose TPU2 consequently. Anyway, happy with my set-up now, we'll how this will go on a longer time frame. 

I recall with the easy generic auto overclock, you hit TPU1 and get 4.2, or TPU 2 and get 4.6. You can do the same with the switch on the board. This is a non stress tested super quick overclock, not system specific. TPU1 for basic air coolers. TPU2 for high end tower air coolers and water.

5 way optimisation also has a TPU1 and TPU2 button. TPU1 will overclock just via the multiplier. TPU2 will overclock via the multiplier and BCLK. With 5 way opt, there's a second button to click for fast [stress tested, system specific] overclocking, and also a button for extreme [stress tested, system specific] overclocking.

http://rog.asus.com/...s-viii-extreme/

Has anyone had a success with this software or doing OC old way via Bios is a still way to go?

Following extensive research and testing I remain decidedly undecided.  :smile:

Currently I am back using 5WO, 4.6Ghz-all cores.  CPU Z shows Core Vid constantly moving at idle.  Under RealBench Volts ~ 1.28 Temps high 1-core 82c once.

This board also has a 3-way mechanical switch on the MB itself to set TPU1 or TPU2 without entering the bios.

I see a reference or two from ASUS guys stating adaptive voltage is preferable yet 5WO sets Offset voltage.  Maybe their adaptive recommendation comes from experience on a different non-current bios version.  I have not read where they say the reason for their statement that adaptive is preferable, nor do they explicitly say that Offset voltage should not be used nor do they even mention offset voltage.

I  conclude this:

1. If you want a manual steady state voltage use this http://forums.overcl....php?t=18692676  Potential consequence, excessive chip degradation due to constant voltage even when idle. Meh, same thing for any overclock, if you're worried about this you shouldn't be clocking.
  2.  ​If you want an adaptive voltage use http://rog.asus.com/...s-viii-extreme/  Potential consequence, excessive voltage using certain stress test programs.
  3. ​If you want an offset voltage use 5WO, potential consequence, I really cannot think  of any other than blind use of 5WO may set an overclock condition outside users comfort level. 5WO results can be inconsistent as in my previous trials, i.e. 4.3Ghz @ 1.4xx volts.

​Which is the better mousetrap...?

Regards,
Gary Andersen

I see a reference or two from ASUS guys stating adaptive voltage is preferable yet 5WO sets Offset voltage. 

No it should be adaptive voltage if you ran 5 way optimisation Gary. Might be off-set if you flip the TPU switch, not sure. Are you sure it was the full five way optimization you ran?

Not sure why 5WO would be inconsistant for you. Did you use the same setting in 5WO each time? There are quite afew.

No it should be adaptive voltage if you ran 5 way optimisation Gary. Might be off-set if you flip the TPU switch, not sure. Are you sure it was the full five way optimization you ran?

Not sure why 5WO would be inconsistant for you. Did you use the same setting in 5WO each time? There are quite afew.

Hi Martin,

I ran 5WO from the AI 3 program in Windows.  This sets TPU1 for me.  This is confirmed as I checked bios setting before and after.  I loaded bios default settings by F5 before using the 5WO this sets TPU to current settings.. 

Not sure why settings were inconsistent but they were. At that time I had the TPU1 manual switch set to TPU1.  Not sure if that messed up 5WO or what.

Not complaining I like the offset settings better.

Ok just set adaptive mode manually.  Load default F5, set manual, set adaptive, set additional Turbo voltage to 1.325 , turn off wifi and Bluetooth (because the world doesn't need any more radio waves), set XMP.  RealBench 15-minutes volts 1.344 @ 4.6Ghz-all core ,max temp 1-core 78c

Regards,
Gary Andersen

I ran 5WO from the AI 3 program in Windows.  This sets TPU1 for me.  This is confirmed as I checked bios setting before and after.  I loaded bios default settings by F5 before using the 5WO this sets TPU to current settings..

Hi Gary, not sure what you mean there. In 5WO you have the choice, it's a setting you select, TPU1 or TPU2. TPU1 auto overclocks just the multiplier, TPU2 auto overclocks both multiplier and BCLK. You choose, it doesn't do it for you. There's also a setting for mild overclock and extreme overclock, and AVX stress test or no AVX, and you can set a limit on voltage frequency, tempreture among other things. As I say, "you" select TPU1 or 2, not 5 way optimisation.

The TPU switch on the board is different, it's a fixed overclock and estimated voltage. Not stress tested. TPU1 gives you 4.2 and TPU2 gives you 4.6 GHz. Confusing that Asus named them the same but there you go. If I recall correctly, the fixed, non stress tested, fixed estimated voltage TPU1 and 2 overclock is also available in AiSuite  hope its not confusing you. 

It's in the video 7 posts up anyway.