Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

Navigraph Files Location

After some time off from FSX, I came back and purchased Navigraph FMS date for PMDG.  Ran PMDG-1601.exe and didn't know where to put data (program did not offer me a default setting - location box was empty and wanted me to browse for location).  I chose ...FSX\PMDG\NavData and there were some .txt files there with the correct date.  However, in NavData\PMDG\NavData\SIDSTARS there were only older data.

I have downloaded Navigraph FMS data before, but either I was offered a default location to which I should download data, or I remembered where it went.  Now I don't remember (getting old, I guess !).

Oh, and the end result has been that the 737 FMS still shows NavData is out of date.

That's quite a long topic which can be solved by some one refreshing my memory on the proper location in which to download these files.

EDIT:  Finally decided to just leave the file location in the download program blank and data was downloaded to C:\Program Files (x86) and looked OK, but when I went to fly the 737, the FMS still said "Data out of date"

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Just install them like you did in FSX\PMDG\NAVDATA.

However I think something went wrong in your installation because there is no such thing as below or is it a typo?

"NavData\PMDG\NavData\SIDSTARS"

in the NAVDATA folder I have 2 .dat files and 6 .txt files and one folder which is the navdata backup. Among these files and the folder, none is called SIDSTAR.

I would advise to backup your navdata folder somewhere else, then empty it completely and re-install the AIRAC.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

(program did not offer me a default setting - location box was empty and wanted me to browse for location)

Navigraph now supports FSX, FSX:SE and P3D, so this doesn't surprise me. FSX isn't the default for anything anymore.

I chose ...FSX\PMDG\NavData

Here's where you went wrong. Point it to your FSX root folder. Done.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Point it to your FSX root folder. Done

That makes sense!

That's why he's got FSX\PMDG\NAVDATA\PMDG\NAVDATA...  :wink:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

BudBud - I do indeed have a folder FSX\PMDG\NavData\PMDG\NavData\SIDSTARS.  Don't know how it got there, but could that be the problem ?  Should I delete it ?

And I have the six .txt files but only one .dat file - airports.dat.

Kyle, I reinstalled to D:\FSX, and still have the problem with 737 FMS showing "Data out of Date".

Dave

FSX\PMDG\NavData\PMDG\NavData\SIDSTARS.

Yup... delete that. As Kyle said, point the installer to FSX... done. A correct install has navdata in ...\PMDG\NAVDATA where "..." is the main folder for FSX, FSXSE or P3D; and the sidstar files are in ...\PMDG\SIDSTARS.

I recommend the Navigraph FMS Data Manager to install and update navdata. It's free and will also update multiple platforms if you have 'em along with PFPX and TOPCAT if you have those.

Dan Downs KCRP

BudBud - I do indeed have a folder FSX\PMDG\NavData\PMDG\NavData\SIDSTARS.  Don't know how it got there, but could that be the problem ?  Should I delete it ?

And I have the six .txt files but only one .dat file - airports.dat.

The fact that you have a FSX\PMDG\NavData\PMDG\NavData\SIDSTARS shows two things.

In red:

_ Repetition of the folders one into the other shows that as said by Kyle, the installation was not pointed to the correct folder.

The installer just needs to know where is FSX and then automatically send the data in the correct \PDMG\NAVDATA folder.

If it doesn't find that folder tree because it has been pointed to another folder than the root FSX, then it creates it again. Hence your double tree.

In blue:

_ As said by Dan, the folder SIDSTARS should be in the PMDG folder, not in the NAVDATA. Again, it is because the installer didn't find the correct tree as it was not pointed to it the correct folder and created the missing folder in the wrong place.

As everything has been mixed up, I would suggest to delete everything that is in your PMDG\NAVDATA folder (the first in the tree) so you have an empty [...\FSX\PMDG\NAVDATA folder]. You can backup all the files and folders that were in to another place if you like.

Then re-install the Nav data browsing the root folder FSX in the installer instead of the nav data folder.

Once it is done, check that you have:

_ ...\FSX\PMDG\NAVDATA\ with the dat and txt files in.

_ ...\FSX\PMDG\SIDSTARS\

Regarding the second .dat file I have, it is arpt_rwy.dat but I suspect I have got it for another reason that is not part of the default nav data. Maybe because RAAS is installed on my computer...

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

arpt_rwy.dat but I suspect I have got it for another reason that is not part of the default nav data. Maybe because RAAS is installed on my computer...

Yup, put there by the PMDG 77X for RAAS.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks, all, for the helpful responses.  I now have data in the correct folders in  .\FSX\PMDG\NavData and \SidStars folders.

I also checked the cycle_info.txt and the fms_ident.txt files, which I assume from their contents are where the NGX gets the information to display in the FMS Ident page.

I suppose that since I have the correct files in the correct places, even if the FMS shows "Out of Date", that all the updated FMC info will be used.

I ran a Repair from the NGX installation file.

I am now going to the PMDG Support and ask them if the above "supposions" are correct.

Dave

Well, I finally got it right.  Don't exactly know how (probably with help from you guys), but I did.

Something still mystifies me - When I use the FMS Data Manager, it puts files in a folder named D;\FSX\PMDG rather than where my FSX.exe is located - D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX (I have FSX Steam).  

Which location is correct ?

Dave

Which location is correct ?

The one that works!  :Tounge:

Sorry I couldn't help. As I don't have the steam edition, I cannot answer your question seriously!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Something still mystifies me - When I use the FMS Data Manager, it puts files in a folder named D;\FSX\PMDG rather than where my FSX.exe is located - D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX (I have FSX Steam).

You may have to manually set the Data Manager from FSX to FSXS, which is how it recognizes FSX-SE. Navigraph has an excellent forum and does provide support for this application.

Your FSX-SE navdata for PMDG should be in the Steam PMDG folders: D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\PMDG\NAVDATA etc.  It is separate from FSX boxed version, and in fact if you have both then there will be two sets of navdata.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 1/25/2016 at 0:37 AM, Budbud said:

The fact that you have a FSX\PMDG\NavData\PMDG\NavData\SIDSTARS shows two things.

In red:

_ Repetition of the folders one into the other shows that as said by Kyle, the installation was not pointed to the correct folder.

The installer just needs to know where is FSX and then automatically send the data in the correct \PDMG\NAVDATA folder.

If it doesn't find that folder tree because it has been pointed to another folder than the root FSX, then it creates it again. Hence your double tree.

In blue:

_ As said by Dan, the folder SIDSTARS should be in the PMDG folder, not in the NAVDATA. Again, it is because the installer didn't find the correct tree as it was not pointed to it the correct folder and created the missing folder in the wrong place.

As everything has been mixed up, I would suggest to delete everything that is in your PMDG\NAVDATA folder (the first in the tree) so you have an empty [...\FSX\PMDG\NAVDATA folder]. You can backup all the files and folders that were in to another place if you like.

Then re-install the Nav data browsing the root folder FSX in the installer instead of the nav data folder.

Once it is done, check that you have:

_ ...\FSX\PMDG\NAVDATA\ with the dat and txt files in.

_ ...\FSX\PMDG\SIDSTARS\

Regarding the second .dat file I have, it is arpt_rwy.dat but I suspect I have got it for another reason that is not part of the default nav data. Maybe because RAAS is installed on my computer...

But what should i have in the \FSX\PMDG\SIDSTARS\ folder?

Hi,

You should have the definition files of the SIDs and STARs for each airport included in the AIRAC.

They are text files with the ICAO code of the airport: XXXX.txt

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

39 minutes ago, Budbud said:

Hi,

You should have the definition files of the SIDs and STARs for each airport included in the AIRAC.

They are text files with the ICAO code of the airport: XXXX.txt

Thank you very much. I did it right.