Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

CTDs After Upgrading to Windows 10!

Sure is sad when Microsoft sends out bug laden products. The old saying that you get what you paid for is definitively true here. The only thing worse would paying for it.

I'm not sure if I appreciate this comment.  Isn't it trolling?  Just because you are having issues, Windows 10 is bad.  It is working for thousands of our members.  Sure, there are some issues whenever you upgrade or install a new OS.  There are issues whenever you reinstall your OS.  But those all get ironed out as you receive Windows updates and manufacturers of the hardware release upgrades so their hardware will be compatible with the new (or old OS).  I know whenever I reinstall Windows 7, it's a scary situation as Windows has to install all of the hardware and software updates.  It takes some time for me to get Windows 7 back to the stability I had originally (and I'm very computer literate). 

When you install or reinstall FSX, that requires some special procedures as Windows built in some major security to help you, the consumer, to avoid the evil people in the world who would want to hack your computer or put some virus or malware into your computer that would shut it down permanently without a complete reformat of your hard drives and installation of the Operating System.  They have received complaints with their previous versions of Windows that their OS caused their computer to be hacked or some evil person was able to install a virus or malware. 

FSX works better outside of the default C:\Program Files (x86) folder as it avoids many of the security that Windows employs to protect you.  PMDG has an excellent "How to Install/Uninstall FSX" and there are many experts here who recommend it too.  When you install FSX or an FSX addon, there are special precautions you have to take and those you will find in the PMDG Guide and in the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature).  Unfortunately we have to go through these extreme measures because of the evil people in the world who want to hurt us.  I hope you are able to find a fix for your problem if it still exists.

AVSIM has a Windows 10 forum moderated by Bob Scott who is very computer literate (and one of our great moderators to boot!).  We also have many computer experts who are AVSIM members who help out in this forum. 

kudos to the people who put together the Avsim CTD guide. Helpful ideas.

Thanks for your kind comments.  A new version is near release and I expect to have it completed by the end of this month (I have a lot of other things I have to do like golf and respond to problems new members have registering and moderate).  More "how to" pictures (people like pictures to accompany the text) and cleaning up some guidance (mainly for Windows 8 and 10 users).  I also want to make it easier for the users to find exactly what they want (like "How to Fix Most Crashes") or, if they get an ntdll.dll error or OOM, they can go directly there to see the suggestions.  I have found over the years there is no fix that works for everyone.  It all depends on their system setup and how the simulator is setup and I think I have found the tools to investigate the "scene of the crime".

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

To Rick A.

I was able to fly around for about an hour this morning going to airports without crashing the program. Started at ABQ then to PHX TPA,JFK, LGA,and LAX all by inserting the airport identifier into the go to airport window in the menu. Zero problems. Even changed aircraft and still no problems. The only thing I did this morning was to do some housekeeping on my email (Thunderbird) by getting rid of a lot of stored files. When the sim started to fly nice again I thought maybe I was using too much ram with those emails. I normally try to only have FSX running by it's self with only the minimum stuff in the background. Then I checked my GTX980 settings and notice I had set the AA back to X8 instead of the normal X16. Then like magic, I started to get the crashes again even on the lower X8 AA setting.

It has been several years since I have tried to upload a picture to the forum so do not know how it will turn out. It will show what I get when the sim stops working.

Terry

PS: Looks like I will be unable to upload a requested picture of my crashed FSX since I do not have a URL to put it to. Yes I saw in the instructions some place you can go set up accounts outside of FSX but since I do not use that of that sort of media, (just AVSIM) I will have to describe it in words only. Small rectangular box in the center of the screen while FSX was running. (now stopped/frozen image) It reads

"Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  (Never does)

You have two choices then. Either click on the X in the upper right corner of the box or the "close program" bar in the lower right corner of the box. Either way the FSX programs stops and you are back to your desk top.

Hope this gives you some idea what I am working with and which way to go to find a solution to this problem.

Thanks Terry

Terry

I know the message! I run a dual monitor setup: one for FSX:SE flight window and one for any undocked window which I want - ATC, GPS, MFD, PFD, etc. I got the same error message frequently until I noticed that my "Settings - Display" device specific options were set differently for "Filtering". When I configured both devices to have the same filtering settings I never got another crash.

Hope that might help you resolve this or to investigate a bit more.

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

To the AVSIM Staff,

I am sorry that my thoughts on Microsoft offended. All I am trying to do is to get my FSX program that worked perfect on both windows XP home and 7 pro on two separate computers,  to run under windows 10. (same computer as the windows 7 FSX ran on)

I will go through the remove and install instruction mentioned to see if I have been missing something when I have reloaded FSX. Originally, FSX was on it's very on SSD which was definitively outside the x86 of the C: drive. 

I use to work on Air Force flight simulators (F-4E and F-111D) for over ten years and understand how modifying/fixing one problem can cause two or three new ones to appear. Since I have not changed the FSX program in ten years and it has worked correctly on two separate computers with two separate operating systems for that period of time, and the only new thing in this equations is windows 10, that is why I still think there lies the problem.

At least on my computer.

Terry

Terry

We feel your pain, but as I stated in my post, for us to nail what exactly it is that is causing your Flight Sim to crash we need to look at your EventVwr log. If you are running Windows 10, just type in at the Search box, EventVwr. That will bring up what exactly is the problem. You have already stayed that FSX flags an error first, then it is Windows, which is natural as the sim depends on the OS to run, so if the sim is causing a crash, it follows that Windows will also go belly-up.

I'd like to lay my money that it is not a Windows 10 issue, but unless we can see that EventVwr or AppCrash screenshot, very little we can do, except suppose.

I'm of the 'old school', reluctant to change. I did not want to move from Win95 when 98 came along; ditto with XP;ditto Win7; and the same with Win10. Likewise with FS2004 when FSX came along, an a couple of years ago you'd never have got me near P3D. And as for 2D panels............................

But I have evolved and embraced whatever has come along and learnt to absorb.

We'll get you to where you were once before, rest assured.

ll I am trying to do is to get my FSX program that worked perfect on both windows XP home and 7 pro on two separate computers,

They had less security, especially XP. 

Since I have not changed the FSX program in ten years and it has worked correctly on two separate computers with two separate operating systems for that period of time, and the only new thing in this equations is windows 10, that is why I still think there lies the problem.

You should go back to Windows 7 like many have done.  Complaining about Windows 10 not working for you won't fix your problem(s).  Update your drivers and disable the security (UAC and any anti-virus/malware program) and you should be fine.

Looks like I will be unable to upload a requested picture of my crashed FSX since I do not have a URL to put it to. Yes I saw in the instructions some place you can go set up accounts outside of FSX but since I do not use that of that sort of media, (just AVSIM) I will have to describe it in words only. Small rectangular box in the center of the screen while FSX was running. (now stopped/frozen image) It reads

Sorry your are having problems with screenshots.  Here's how to do it - http://www.avsim.com/topic/479802-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot/. I use the free flight sim website Oz to upload and post my images - http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/.

With the event viewer, if you find the error that cause your crash or freeze, double-click on the error and a new window will pop up. It will have all the details we need. In the lower left hand corner, you should see "Copy". Click on that and the error will be copied to the clipboard and you should be able to come back here and, in a new post, paste the error in your post.  This way you won't have to post a picture of your crash.  You will want to click on Custom Views and then Administrative Events as this will show you all of the errors that occurred on your computer in one place.  Look for your event (usually an Event 1000).

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Absolutely. My experience so far is Win10 is a worse experience than Vista64 in regards to stability and compatibility with games.

Working with the OS itself, I like Win10 better.

No offense but maybe you should get a little more reading/experience...

The comparisson is apples to oranges, and of the few issues I have seen almost all except very little are due to user errors/unawareness...

I think you're not by yourself buton a very small boat...

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-is-going-down-great-with-gamers-catching-windows-7-fast-1314310

This is what I found in the event log for aprox the time the FSX program stopped working.

Note for one of the posts above, only FSX stops and "Not" windows 10 The computer does not freeze up. Only FSX program freezes. I only have one monitor too.

My guess is maybe one or more of the settings that are in windows 10 that need to talk to FSX was turned off when setting up windows 10.  

Terry

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Windows Error Reporting

Date:          3/6/2016 7:46:22 PM

Event ID:      1001

Task Category: None

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      User-PC

Description:

Fault bucket 107787910542, type 1

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: fsx.exe

P2: 10.0.61472.0

P3: 475e17d3

P4: uiautomationcore.dll

P5: 7.2.10586.17

P6: 56518a34

P7: c0000005

P8: 0004d0b3

P9: 

P10: 

Attached files:

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9ED8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_fsx.exe_abd8766049ac49cd58574bb821bcfdca76c445_75b82f04_142f67d5

Analysis symbol: 

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 8a383049-de2b-4e44-8964-406e57055b62

Report Status: 0

Hashed bucket: df956ae9ef7a2ee58467ae72e3372053

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-03-07T00:46:22.152222600Z" />

<EventRecordID>2846</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>User-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>107787910542</Data>

<Data>1</Data>

<Data>APPCRASH</Data>

<Data>Not available</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>fsx.exe</Data>

<Data>10.0.61472.0</Data>

<Data>475e17d3</Data>

<Data>uiautomationcore.dll</Data>

<Data>7.2.10586.17</Data>

<Data>56518a34</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>0004d0b3</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9ED8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>

<Data>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_fsx.exe_abd8766049ac49cd58574bb821bcfdca76c445_75b82f04_142f67d5</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>8a383049-de2b-4e44-8964-406e57055b62</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>df956ae9ef7a2ee58467ae72e3372053</Data>

</EventData>

</Even

Log Name:      Security

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing

Date:          3/6/2016 7:45:30 PM

Event ID:      4672

Task Category: Special Logon

Keywords:      Audit Success

Description:

Special privileges assigned to new logon.

Subject:

Security ID: SYSTEM

Account Name: SYSTEM

Account Domain: NT AUTHORITY

Logon ID: 0x3E7

Privileges: SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege

SeTcbPrivilege

SeSecurityPrivilege

SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege

SeLoadDriverPrivilege

SeBackupPrivilege

SeRestorePrivilege

SeDebugPrivilege

SeAuditPrivilege

SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege

SeImpersonatePrivilege

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing" Guid="{54849625-5478-4994-A5BA-3E3B0328C30D}" />

<EventID>4672</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>0</Level>

<Task>12548</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8020000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-03-07T00:45:30.554931900Z" />

<EventRecordID>9315</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{43B140C0-77FF-0001-D440-B143FF77D101}" />

<Execution ProcessID="1008" ThreadID="6652" />

<Channel>Security</Channel>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="SubjectUserSid">S-1-5-18</Data>

<Data Name="SubjectUserName">SYSTEM</Data>

<Data Name="SubjectDomainName">NT AUTHORITY</Data>

<Data Name="SubjectLogonId">0x3e7</Data>

<Data Name="PrivilegeList">SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege

SeTcbPrivilege

SeSecurityPrivilege

SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege

SeLoadDriverPrivilege

SeBackupPrivilege

SeRestorePrivilege

SeDebugPrivilege

SeAuditPrivilege

SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege

SeImpersonatePrivilege</Data>

</EventData>

</Eve

Log Name:      Application

Source:        gupdate

Date:          3/6/2016 7:33:24 PM

Event ID:      0

Task Category: None

Keywords:      Classic

Description:

The description for Event ID 0 from source gupdate cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Service stopped

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="gupdate" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-03-07T00:33:24.468953400Z" />

<EventRecordID>2842</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Service stopped</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

No offense but maybe you should get a little more reading/experience...

Here is food for thought.

If I can get the abomination that was Vista64 and my 200 installed games (many of them modded heavily) to run perfectly fine without crashing, you would think the almighty, superior Win10 should be a total walk in the park. But this isn't the case.

As Jim (and I in other places) have said, hopefully OS maturity, hard/software compatibility or new found tweaks will solve all this in due time. I am hopeful.

Like I always have, I will indeed read and learn to make things work but there is absolutely ZERO doubt my experience with Win10 is worse for running my games thus far.

I've actually been mulling over the thought of re-configuring my hard drives to allow for easy dual boot to Vista64.

f I can get the abomination that was Vista64 and my 200 installed games

200 installed games?  How long are your calendar days? Sorry, that's a credibility issue despite your 2,000+ posts!  I and hundreds if not thousands of others here have trouble optimizing and managing between just one to four!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

This is what I found in the event log for aprox the time the FSX program stopped working.

You have FSX SP2 installed.  The error was caused by your computer system and the uiautomationcore.dll belonging to Windows.  The uiautomationcore.dll is part of the Microsoft.net packages that are used by Microsoft to make sure you application (FSX w/SP2) works properly.  You need to make sure you have Microsoft.net 2.0 and 3.5 installed (see page 7 of the AVSIM CTD Guide).  You can also try installing one of the uiautomationcore.dll's on page 7 and 8 of the AVSIM CTD Guide.  One of those versions are placed in your main fsx folder.  See my signature for a link to the AVSIM CTD Guide (new version to be released soon!!).

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim,

Thanks for the help. I went to M/S website and downloaded both Net Framework 2.0 and 3.5 and both of them would NOT load into my Windows 10 . I am pretty sure I had all of the Net Frameworks in both XP and 7 Pro. Also thought I heard/read where these program's were part of Windows 10 and that might be why the install of these separate versions is not loading.

When I initially load FSX program on the SSD, I cannot see any of the pictures/pages that tell you about the program and keep you entertained while the program is loading. Only the meter that shows wher you are in the install process.

My guess is this has something to do with the way FSX is running. It also takes about 30 minutes to load which is about twice as long as normal.  The black screen at loading might be the same black screen I get when trying to view the aircraft details prior to loading them in FSX to fly.

My next step is to try that dll you referenced.

Terry

200 installed games?  How long are your calendar days? Sorry, that's a credibility issue despite your 2,000+ posts!  I and hundreds if not thousands of others here have trouble optimizing and managing between just one to four!

Most are shortcut-ed here.  Few others are left direct on Steam, with several others scattered about on my harddrives without a shortcut.

This really isn't that many. There use to be a guy on nvnews.net forum that had over 1000; all installed and running properly. Now THAT was impressive!

Thanks for the help. I went to M/S website and downloaded both Net Framework 2.0 and 3.5 and both of them would NOT load into my Windows 10 .

There's a possibility they are already installed.  In the CTD Guide there's a link to the verification tool which you can use to see if Microsoft.net 1.1 or 2.0 is installed, etc.  Required dotnets for FSX are installed with FSX.  FSX needs 1.1 or 2.0 (32 bit, not 64 bit) as FSX is a 32 bit program.  So make sure you downloaded the 32 bit and not the 64 bit versions.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Most are shortcut-ed here.  Few others are left direct on Steam, with several others scattered about on my harddrives without a shortcut.

This really isn't that many. There use to be a guy on nvnews.net forum that had over 1000; all installed and running properly. Now THAT was impressive!

I have one, never refer to it as a game! And less than one issue!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere