Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Dovetail Games Direction

The bit that makes me uncomfortable wasn't directly of growth or uptake, just fact the only legitimate license for P3D would be the Professional licence which is absolutely fine but that to me limits the use to enthusiasts and wouldn't bring in moderately skilled or new players. The Academic license is cheaper but does not seem to be viable to users who want to simply enjoy the product as a simulator.

This is not for you or I to determine, we are not lawyers and most important we're not judges that could make such a ruling.  This is why such discussions around P3D end user licensing (EULA) and who can do what, when and where are a ToS violation at AVSIM.  We are not to provide legal advice.

Cheers, Rob.

don't agree. This hobby is tied far too much to the past, and at this point its like an anchor around the neck of simulations future. In my eyes, DTG has already taken the simple way out by choosing to gussy up FSX (Again!!) rather than blaze its own path, and every concession we make to the past is yet more energy wasted on looking back rather than stepping forward.

To me, backwards compatibility is like trying at 45 to fit into the same clothes you were wearing at 15.

Time to buy some new clothes and donate that old stuff to the Salvation Army! :lol:

That is probably the best posting so far.

We, broadly speaking, have been shouting for years now, for a new sim.

And we are going to get it, (please, no more complaints about it being FSX based & not Flight!)

So, we want a brand new squeaky clean sim that satisfies all our demands, & we are upset that our old add-ons, obviously not optimised to this new sim, are not going to fit?

Guys, new is new, get over it.A new product from a new (relatively speaking to flight sims) company.

I'm excited to see what new stuff there will be. If I want the old, use the sim it was built for, dont try jam it where it's not supposed, or optimised to go.

• Upvote 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

This is not for you or I to determine, we are not lawyers and most important we're not judges that could make such a ruling.  This is why such discussions around P3D end user licensing (EULA) and who can do what, when and where are a ToS violation at AVSIM.  We are not to provide legal advice.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob, I was stating a feeling about the license putting some people off P3D, I really didn't mean to offend. Maybe these forums have made you battle ready either that or you've been watching too much Game of Thrones LOL! Apologies again and thanks for your wisdom Rob, always good to chat.

Cheers,

Dave.

Some numbers to consider:

People following THIS forum:  58

People on ALL Avsim forums right now:  626

People playing FSX-SE on steam currently (Last hour):  3348

Where do you suppose the DTG marketing plan is focusing?

• Upvote 1

Tom Constantine

The Old Hangar

http://mainescenery.proboards.com

ahhh !

DLC Central  !!

Well lets see, what we know is existing features like AI and ATC will be there, even in Flight School, whole world coverage/NAVAIDS, Orbx FTX Global out of the box, weather. So all the basics are there, unlike when MS Flight was released, which actually stripped most of those features out. So long as they provide good developer tools/SDK as they say they will, and don't lock out external developers, which they say they won't I don't see a problem for this community.

• Upvote 3

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Well lets see, what we know is existing features like AI and ATC will be there, even in Flight School, whole world coverage/NAVAIDS, Orbx FTX Global out of the box, weather. So all the basics are there, unlike when MS Flight was released, which actually stripped most of those features out. So long as they provide good developer tools/SDK as they say they will, and don't lock out external developers, which they say they won't I don't see a problem for this community.

I'm not sure which approach is better. stripping out the old to start fresh, or just putting a new coat of paint on the old.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm not sure which approach is better. stripping out the old to start fresh, or just putting a new coat of paint on the old.

If they were starting from scratch with a new engine I would agree, but using the existing engine, I think this is the best approach. DTG has a strong base to run off of which will keep their cash flow going, developers will have the tools they need to grow the platform. One of the main things that killed Flight, was the lack of content from the beginning, and the inability to grow it at a fast enough pace to keep their customer base happy. To the point they resorted to releasing cockpitless aircraft.

• Upvote 2

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

very true !

but the problem will be price of dlc - exactly as ts - they are not cheap.

too many will want a piece of the cake:  steam - developer - dtg - taxman !

prices inevitably will be out of reach for quite few and those will simply give up.

very true !

but the problem will be price of dlc - exactly as ts - they are not cheap.

too many will want a piece of the cake:  steam - developer - dtg - taxman !

prices inevitably will be out of reach for quite few and those will simply give up.

Not really, a train model DLC is about $20, and a route of 100+miles about $39. Compare that to FSX addon prices. Not to mention the periodic 50-80% sales.

• Upvote 2

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Not really, a train model DLC is about $20, and a route of 100+miles about $39. Compare that to FSX addon prices. Not to mention the periodic 50-80% sales.

yea - that is cheap if you got them in your pocket !

but for a student / pensioner / family man is a quite a bit !

I wandered over to this forum thread this evening because last night I started playing Flight after having put it aside a few years ago, and I wanted to see what was going on.

What drew me back to Flight? The fact that probably 25% of my FSX sessions end in some sort of glitch.  The issue isn't specs, the issue is tons of add-on''s piled on the old FSX; a unicycle holding up twenty+++ trained seals.  Moreover, I'm the guy who maybe sims for an hour or two every weekend or two. When I sit down at the computer, I want an entertaining experience (probably a lot like all those people on FSX:SE), I don't want to waste that precious hour trying to figure out why this thing broke this way this time. SAs several people have mentioned in this thread, Flight, "out of the box" is massively more stable than FSX, and comes with a visual environment that I've paid $100's of dollars on ORBX  to distantly replicate in FSX. Moreover, Flight's Stearman and Maule are still the most visually impressive iterations of those planes anywhere in flightsim-land.

I for one am very interested to see that DTG does no matter the road it is taking to get there, and I'll certainly follow DTGFS before wasting time on another of those FSX/ORBX/REX/Carenado/PMDG/MilViz/Aerosoft/A2A-osaurus reinstalls.

So until April, if not beyond, Flight is where all my flightsim time will be spent.

Tim

yea - that is cheap if you got them in your pocket !

but for a student / pensioner / family man is a quite a bit !

Go check PMDG plane prices. Go check airport sceneries prices. Go check any decent addon on FSX. They will be around >35 euros or dollars.

This "bohooo, train sim addons cost too much" doesn't apply to FS World, it just makes no sense.

People also go with "if i wanted to buy all train sim DLCs i would have to spend over 1000 euros". Well, go make a cumulative amount of money you would have to spend for FSX/P3D addons and you will find that things are not much cheaper there either

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Yes, it does strike me as rather odd that people complain about the Train Simulator DLC situation. I don't see how it is any different to the flight simulation model. The only criticism I would make of some Train Simulator DLC is that you don't get a lot of track for your money. Another factor (and one that actually stops me from being tempted to purchase TS2016) is the limited scale of the UK network. We really should have an extensive network of rail routes in the UK by now. It's no good having bits and pieces of main line here and there. We need to be able to travel from (for example) London to Aberdeen, London to Glasgow, Exeter to Birmingham etc. Most of the main cross country routes should also have been done. Train Simulator has been around for a fair amount of time now, but those types of addons seem to be few and far between. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, it does strike me as rather odd that people complain about the Train Simulator DLC situation. I don't see how it is any different to the flight simulation model. The only criticism I would make of some Train Simulator DLC is that you don't get a lot of track for your money. Another factor (and one that actually stops me from being tempted to purchase TS2016) is the limited scale of the UK network. We really should have an extensive network of rail routes in the UK by now. It's no good having bits and pieces of main line here and there. We need to be able to travel from (for example) London to Aberdeen, London to Glasgow, Exeter to Birmingham etc. Most of the main cross country routes should also have been done. Train Simulator has been around for a fair amount of time now, but those types of addons seem to be few and far between. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

The Majority of Steam users are mostly young - they like buy a game and get on with it - and have it all in one go. After a couple of weeks they will move on to the next and so on.

With console games now coming out with Amazing graphics and functionalities competition is very strong - console games do not require any DLC to experience the full potential.

This kind of gamers will never stick to any simulator; and neither will spend money after it.