Sign in to follow this  
severniae

Lancair Legacy V2, 400HP Turbo version questions.

I've got the Lancair Legacy V2 on P3D 3.1 - Its amazing!

One question I have, what power settings do other people use for the 400HP version of the engine? I've found lots of info for the lower power engine, but nothing really concrete for the Turbo...

Second, last night I did a short flight at around 8500 feet, I set power at around 35mp and 2400 RPM, when I tried to lean the mixture to get better GPH, instead of lowering the fuel flow, the fuel flow actually increased, and the engine started to produce more power, it added several MP ...Am I missing something here? 

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I simply add 10 MP to the regular engine numbers so during climb I fly with 36 MP and 2600 RPM and I cruise at 34 MP and 2400 RPM.

Can't help you with the fuel flow: I do use the mixture (of course) but seldom check fuel flow. I do know that the mixture is a bit er... odd: the engine can SUDDENLY drop at a certain altitude and needs a change of mixture quickly and the higher you get, the smaller the range of possible change becomes, up to where even a millimeter of pulling the mixture lever can mean the difference between the engine working well or almost dropping out.

I am btw switching back to the regular engine because the turbo performs too well: I enjoy the plane so much together with the GTN 750 that my flights are over way too soon. And I am up at cruise alt too soon too LOL so I am going back to the slower version. Somehow the performance seems almost unrealistic. (Does a turbo version exist in real life...?) Which isn't a complaint btw but I like it more 'slow' (compared to the turbo) and 'regular'.  :wink: The Legacy is awesome and it's the only plane I fly.

It's not unrealistic - yes there are turbocharged Legacies out there. A few perform at the Reno Races (with other aerodynamic speed mods)

The reason there's not much numbers to go off is it's an experimental and little documentation.

I had started creating my own performance tables but got a bit busy with my kids

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

One question I have, what power settings do other people use for the 400HP version of the engine? I've found lots of info for the lower power engine, but nothing really concrete for the Turbo...

Second, last night I did a short flight at around 8500 feet, I set power at around 35mp and 2400 RPM, when I tried to lean the mixture to get better GPH, instead of lowering the fuel flow, the fuel flow actually increased, and the engine started to produce more power, it added several MP ...Am I missing something here? 

In some circumstances, slightly leaning leads to a much quicker mixture burn due to a phenomenon known as flame front propagation (you can google it!) which can tend to increase fuel flow slightly along with initially higher rpm, but continuing to lean will then result in a lower fuel flow. FSX tends to exaggerate this. 

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I don't want the turbocharged Legacy... I want the turboprop Legacy... :)

http://generalaviationnews.com/2015/08/06/around-the-field-at-airventure-oshkosh/

Yeah it's a great looking plane - I haven't seen ANY specs on it - have you?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't want the turbocharged Legacy... I want the turboprop Legacy... :)

http://generalaviationnews.com/2015/08/06/around-the-field-at-airventure-oshkosh/

We did consider this, but we thought that the elongated engine cowl somewhat spoils the aesthetic. The dual turbocharged piston is less complex and nearly gives the turboprop a run for its money speed wise.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

We did consider this, but we thought that the elongated engine cowl somewhat spoils the aesthetic. The dual turbocharged piston is less complex and nearly gives the turboprop a run for its money speed wise.

Oh, please don't take what I was saying as a complaint. I have the V2 Legacy and love it. I was just commenting in reference to the turbocharged variant. Experimental + Fast = Someone will always find a way to make it go faster. :)

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

http://www.avsim.com/topic/482349-realair-legacy-release/?p=3364681

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Oh, please don't take what I was saying as a complaint. I have the V2 Legacy and love it. I was just commenting in reference to the turbocharged variant. Experimental + Fast = Someone will always find a way to make it go faster. :)

I didn't take it as a complaint. True, there's always enthusiasm to go faster! Often at a price. See example of high performance aircraft accidents such as these:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/dblist.php?AcType=LNC4

and here: 

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/324715-lancair-legacy.html

and here:

http://www.lancairowners.com/2013safetyreview/

and here:

http://www.bendbulletin.com/news/1442192-151/many-lancair-crashes-are-due-to-lack-of

That turboprop Legacy is beautiful ha!  Thanks for the link, haven't seen that!

Ah!

So reading through that thread - could the reason my power increased when leaning actually be because that's what I'm meant to do to get power at higher altitudes with the turbo version? I've never tried an aircraft with turbo so don't really know anything about this / why it needs this....

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg