Sign in to follow this  
dutton98

VSync and triple buffering!

Yes Vernon, got you. That should be pretty good.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I´ve went down the NVCP custom resolution route, adding in a 30hz resolution for my 3440x1440 monitor. By enabling VSYNC in P3D, the framerate stays at 30 all the time, and the sim is very smooth (wish i could say the same for UI and mouse movement, but everything has a price)!

But - there is a flie in the ointment - so to speak: while changing the view position in the VC, either with EZDock or the default hold spacebar and look around, it sometimes judders like crazy, even though the FPS is glued to 30 (monitored with the internal counter, and Fraps, for good measure). I´ve tried almost everything I can think of (global terrain view =1, disable SLI, turn off all autogen, lock fps internally etc), but it´s still there, and drives me crazy. I haven´t seen this is P3D before, so it might be that, or a combination with the latest Nvidia-driver. 

Have anyone else experienced this, or is it just on my computer? 

Best regards, 

Kristoffer

Yes be wary that there are some funnies happening within the drivers. For example, undock the GPS, or certain panels in certain aircraft and it may bring the fps down by half depending on driver version and GPU. That's a driver thing.

Hi.

A very interesting thread. I've been testing these adjustments and I noticed that when I locked 30fps (60Hz monitor) in NI + unlimited in the sim, sometimes the fps fluctuate above 30 fps.

So, my question is if NI is blocking fps or normal behavior?.

Another question. with the last versión of Prepar3D (3.1 & 3.2) it is better not include a value for AM?

So far I used AM = 84 with HT.

A greeting

AM=84 is OK if you are running a four core HT enabled, but 116 is better when leaving core zero out as 84 does. v3.2 is changed slightly from v3.1 but it works the same. The NI limit steers the GPU it's not an absolute cap, so you will get fps flapping around. Only way to get a dead straight line is to run fixed fps on the slider, but that's costly on GPU and CPU.

Ok,Thanks Steve. I try 116.

Vertical Sync 1/2 Refresh Rate is unusable in P3D v3, right?
nd I've always wondered about the correct value for "maximum pre-rendered frames" and if a great benefit is obtained.

by the way, that software can be used to obtain fps graphic statistics?

Yes be wary that there are some funnies happening within the drivers. For example, undock the GPS, or certain panels in certain aircraft and it may bring the fps down by half depending on driver version and GPU. That's a driver thing.

Thanks Steve!

Which one do you recommend at the moment?

Steve had this issue mind? Doesn't happen now with my new driver

Vernon Howells

Steve had this issue mind? Doesn't happen now with my new driver

That's good, gladly they sort out these kind of problems when they arise.

Ok,Thanks Steve. I try 116.

Vertical Sync 1/2 Refresh Rate is unusable in P3D v3, right?

nd I've always wondered about the correct value for "maximum pre-rendered frames" and if a great benefit is obtained.

by the way, that software can be used to obtain fps graphic statistics?

Yes the 1/2 Vsync doesn't apply to P3D, so we use the fps Limit instead.

Pre-rendered frames default is three. At 30fps that's 3/30s or 10th of a second. Not very long but enough to handle the jitter. It's easy to try just one or two, see how that goes. One frame would be about the same as the VSync Triple Buffer but still run with a flatter line so could be worth a play.

There's various programs that can monitor the GPU fps output, and some can make a file of fps values that could be loaded into a spreadsheet, and the change in fps computed into another column. Excel is good for making up the grapjhs quickly, and I used IF10 Pro which keeps track of the fps trace and delta variance.

Thanks Steve!

Which one do you recommend at the moment?

I always run the latest driver when it comes out, recreate the NI profile, and hope for the best. But as to which driver is best, my answer would have be "try it and see".

You're welcome guys!

I´ve went down the NVCP custom resolution route, adding in a 30hz resolution for my 3440x1440 monitor. By enabling VSYNC in P3D, the framerate stays at 30 all the time, and the sim is very smooth (wish i could say the same for UI and mouse movement, but everything has a price)!

Best of luck with that - you have a dream setup - a 30Hz monitor so that P3D can lock to VSYNC! The situation you seem to be in is unusual. The simulator is delivering absolutely smooth frames for terrain movement, but view movement now stutters. They are two different things. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason why view changing should be an issue for you other than some stupid glitch in the drivers or background scheduling somehow. Hmmmm......

EDIT: try running at a lower resolution just to cut out any possibility of GPU issues.

You're welcome guys!

Thought I would try a limiter - seems to be working well - not much of a difference maybe helping with thrashing my monitor so I tried 58fps (might improve inputlag on vsync 60hz) on my 32" 60hz Benq so think I will leave it there - as always great help Steve 

This limiter change is the only thing I changed from your NI preset that lives on my desktop permanently :wink:  

Rich Sennett

Yeah Rich, a lot of new goodies around. When it's getting close to my PC replacement time, I'm going to have a good look at panels other than boring 1920x1200 corporate class stuff. You got your new rig fettled and all going well with it? :)

• Upvote 1

Yeah Rich, a lot of new goodies around. When it's getting close to my PC replacement time, I'm going to have a good look at panels other than boring 1920x1200 corporate class stuff. You got your new rig fettled and all going well with it? :)

Do you think you will preference 30Hz capable panels?

Have anyone else experienced this, or is it just on my computer?

I'm running 30hz too, VSYNC, triple buffering and frames locked at 33 but not having any problems with EZDok (using track-ir). My resolution is 1980x1080 though. Single 970 gpu. Older drivers: 361.43

Darren Morris