Sign in to follow this  
dutton98

VSync and triple buffering!

Do you think you will preference 30Hz capable panels?

That would be good, maybe not quite the top of my wish list. But I was thinking in terms of something like the U3415W so I can do more work. lol

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve, why the option NVI at 30 and also 30 locked in P3D ?

I get excellent smoothness but i use unlimited instead of 30 in P3D

Vernon Howells

Testing should be done with little or no AA.

Setting the NI limit of 30fps and P3D Display Settings to Unlimited fps + VSync=On + Triple Buffer=On is far less demanding than setting the Fixed fps slider to 30.

How does setting fixed FPS in NI affect overall FPS.. what I mean is if you lock FPS in the P3D you loose quite a few FPS in comparison to unlimited. Do you still loose those FPS if you lock frames outside, in that case with NI, or would that be equivalent to unlimited?

Steve,

Finally I have reached the point of maximum smootness on my system...

- 5820 at HT 340 and all other addon programs through Process Lasso on the remaining cores ( exept SIOC which may choose what its want )

- NVI framerate limiter at 25

- P3D Unlimited / Vsync On / TB on

- All 3 outside view monitors at 25 Hrtz

Many thanks for all advices and help.

Regards,

Gerard

While I was waiting for the REX Update I used a very nice Cumulus cloud from FEX

FEX%202.JPG

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hi - who ever you are :hi:

Would´t call adding a custom resolution with 30hz refresh rate via the Nvidia Control Panel a dream setup, but it sure works, unless I pan around.. It is very smooth, as stated. 

Regarding the GPU issue: I don´t use Nvidia Inspector. I´ve only set "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the NVCP prepar3d.exe application profile. I use GPU-Z to monitor GPU utilisation, and after v 3.2 it seems a bit lower than in 3.1. I use 2x EVGA GTX980 Classified custom loop watercooling, and both hover around 40-50%  at EGLL RW27L. in fair weather. My goal is to create a setup that works between EGLL and KJFK, for the Concorde-X. The Concorde is a heavy hitter, and you have no time to be looking out the window while flying at low altitudes/speeds, so I intend to keep the scenery amount to a bare minimum. Smoothness over eye-candy :Whistle:  

In my experience, the difference between the sim running out of (CPU) power and the GPUs overloading is vastly different. The GPU overload (both stuck at 100%) is far worse, and a lot more jerky than CPU overload. That said - this panning jerkiness is resembling GPU overload, although GPU-Z says everything is fine.. :Doh:

I think I´ll try a different driver. I´m on 364.51 at the moment. (btw - I always do a full re install of the drivers when up/downgrading, to make sure no gremlins are left behind). 

Best regards 

Kristoffer 

Best of luck with that - you have a dream setup - a 30Hz monitor so that P3D can lock to VSYNC! The situation you seem to be in is unusual. The simulator is delivering absolutely smooth frames for terrain movement, but view movement now stutters. They are two different things. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason why view changing should be an issue for you other than some stupid glitch in the drivers or background scheduling somehow. Hmmmm......

EDIT: try running at a lower resolution just to cut out any possibility of GPU issues.

How does setting fixed FPS in NI affect overall FPS.. what I mean is if you lock FPS in the P3D you loose quite a few FPS in comparison to unlimited. Do you still loose those FPS if you lock frames outside, in that case with NI, or would that be equivalent to unlimited?

When the Fixed fps on the slider is used, it's a bit like unlimited in that it keeps banging out frames, but these are look ahead frames rather than all visual frames. Each Fixed frame is generated with an exact time period, but unfixed frames are generated from the mean of the last few frames. With the NI Limit + Unlimited slider fps can still wobble around a lot. But with Fixed, the sim will produce an fps straight line, if it can maintain frames in the look ahead buffer. Any stutter depletes frames and the sim needs overhead to redraw those look ahead frames, so a good setup with high fps is required.

SteveW et al - What about Gsync?  I use an Acer XB270HU Gsync monitor (144Hz) with 2 980Ti's in SLI.  I use NI to cap at 30fps and have FPS at Unlimited in P3D.  I also have P3D with no AM (i5 3690K 4core no HT) and all addons with AM=14 (Hex E) via batch files.  So in my case...unless I'm under 30 fps (where Vsync supposedly kicks in from Gsync) my monitor refresh rate syncs to the frame rate.  

So my questions are...

1) with Gsync enabled should I keep Vsync/Triple Buffer off in P3D?  

2) with Gsync enabled is there any reason not to increase NI fps cap to say 35 (no cap usually sits in the 40-55fps range)?  

3) should I just disable Gsync and use Vsync for P3D?  My monitor can be set to 144,, 120, 60 and 24 but not 30hz anyway so I'm guessing Gsync is better.  I don't think Gsync does any good at or below 30 fps so I am thinking either run it a little faster (35 in NI) OR cut it off and use standard Vsync and NI at 30fps (maybe 120hz would be better than 144Hz in that case assuming the refresh rate goes to 1/2 or 1/4 if can't maintain fps that match monitor Hz).  Anyone else struggling with this?  Thoughts?

GSync works in faster refresh modes, so above 30 it can coincide with the frame output. In this case it would suit a 35-40fps locked fps and the dropouts down to 30fps would be handled by GSync. This is heavy going for an eye candied up P3D.

The 24 refresh setting, 24 limit in NI, and Unlimited+VSync+TB would work nicely, although a little slow for higher speed manoeuvring with jets, acrobatics, and gliders for example. May even get good results Fixing at 24 instead here.

The 60 refresh setting and the NI 30 limit, and Unlimited+VSync+TB may work well.

Thank you Steve - will run some tests and report back.  Initial reaction is - I have to manually set monitor refresh - can't set it on an application level in nvidia control panel or NI and at 24Hz my mouse curser is painfully laggy so I'm not sure how the 24/24 combo will work or if I have the patience to switch it on/off all the time.  If smooth flight otherwise (mostly GA plus the Q400) it may be worth the hassle.  If that doesn't work I will try the 60/30 combo and pick the best of the 3.  Appreciate the quick response!

144/5 is 28.8. Try 144 and NI 29fps limit and Unlimited+Vsync+TB

Steve - 24/24 was too laggy to bear BUT your suggestion of 144Hz/NI at 29fps with VS and TB on may just be the winning ticket.  Just tried a flight in heavy cloud coverage and rain here in my home town of Nashville using ASN (Rob A's settings) and it was smooth as silk.  Just wish I could keep the occasional "stutter" when a new airport pops into view from occurring but I'll take it if everything else including turns is SMOOTH.  The only thing I notice a SLIGHT lag on vs GSYNC and 35-40 fps is my TrackIR view panning...it's still smooth though so I think I may be in business for good with these settings.  Thanks again!

• Upvote 1

Hi, Steve.  Very interesting thread here.  Do you have a screenshot of your Scenery settings handy, particularly the autogen stuff?  Do you also run any ORBX scenery?  Just trying to make a comparison here.  I have a 3770K @4.4GHz., HT, AM=248, and 980Ti.  Are your specs posted somewhere?  Also, do you know which default aircraft in P3Dv3 is the best to use when checking performance?

Thanks very much,

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Hi Jeff, I've rarely got a consistent system set up worth posting due to development purposes. But I'll often be using medium to high settings, shadows, volume fog, medium water. I'll often use the B58 for testing during software development, but for cross checking performance characteristics I'll load up ORBX, Mega airports, and PMDGs as well.

Hello,
have a 144Hz monitor and can not find the right setting of the FPS .
Tried divisor of 144 , ie 48 FPS or 36 FPS , always stutter.
Does anyone even 144Hz monitor and what setting ?

My system :
CPU 4790K ( 4.7 GHz )
MSI Geforce 970 Gaming
P3Dv3.2
Vsync and and TB On
No AM

Karl

i7-10700k 5,1 GHz - 18 GB RAM - ASUS 1080Ti  - Dell G-Sync Monitor

Can you move your addons above core zero? Put them on 1,2,3 with a .bat.

Or enable HT use AM=85, put addons above core zero (LPs 0 and 1) put them on 2,3,4,5,6,7. Or use AM=116, and run addons as-is.

Or if you want to keep HT off use AM=14 and run addons as-is.