Sign in to follow this  
dutton98

VSync and triple buffering!

Nice work.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I do have 2x SGSS enabled which smooths things out a bit.

Yes was giving this some thought.

When we are looking for a setup that provides maximum bandwidth, it's not going to look pretty. VSync and triple buffer off, with unlimited set on the slider, the fps will jump around all over the place. The output of the GPU needs to be carefully monitored anyway, to get a real idea of performance, and comparisons made.

But when we add AA, especially SGSS, it'll cap the fps to a straighter line, showing up as smoother on the monitor. All that's only going to perform even better if the sim is running more efficiently.

When we see better performance with HT disabled, it's usually because a problem is halved, since with HT enabled we have double the LP count. In these cases, the setup just needs more careful inspection. For example, if my AV scanner starts up it runs 12 jobs, if HT is disabled it only runs 6 jobs.

Steve, may I ask you a question?

Ever since I installed P3D v3.2 I've been struggling with poor performance compared to P3D v3.0. In P3D v3.0 I ran unlimited FPS, 2x MSAA, HT disabled, Vsync and triple buffering off and had great performance. I also used to Nvidia Control Panel to run "Single Display", not multi monitor, and high performance etc. 

I've tried adding AF = 85 and FFTF = 0.01 to the P3D.cfg, but this doesn't make any difference. Any suggestions? I'm running the exact same in-game settings as before.

Specs:

i7 4770K OCed to 4.5 Ghz

GTX-970

16 gb RAM

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

For example, if my AV scanner starts up it runs 12 jobs, if HT is disabled it only runs 6 jobs.

I'm on a new install of Win10. Not sure what the default AV is (if any) but I'm not running anything additional.

Not sure what the default AV is (if any) but I'm not running anything additional.

Windows 10 has its own AV, its called Windows Defender, here's a link on how to add program exclusions if you are interested.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220232/how-to-use-the-built-in-windows-defender-antivirus-on-windows-10/

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I am new to Prepare3D (x-plane user for years) and took the plunge and built a new computer for this sim.

System Specs:
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 27-Inch WQHD G-SYNC LED Gaming Monitor
MSI Computer Video Graphics Card GTX 980TI GAMING 6G
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Type A Type C Intel Z170 ATX Motherboard
Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 

This system runs P3D very well,  my frames  sometimes reach over 100 fps using the Majestic Q400 but I need to lock the frames down or 
my ground textures get all blurry. 

My monitor refresh rate is 144Hz  should I bump this down to 60  or  is 144Hz overkill for P3D?
I have my frames locked at 58fps in NI  which appears to make the sim run pretty smooth.

Having a G-SYNC monitor would I need to set VSYNC and TB on?

I have my AF set to 116 in my P3D.cfg thats about all the tweaking I have done. (total newbie here)
Anyone have any other suggestions to get the most out of my system?

One last question, I much would I gain overclocking the ASUS Maxiumus VIII, is it worth doing?

The addons I have purchased  are:
ASN
FTX Global and Vector
EZDok

Thanks for the help!
Paul C

- Paul Cartier

@ Fi5kuS - P3D v3 is more intense graphically than v2 or FSX so sliders left!

@ MarkW - LPs are Logical Processors, 4 with a four core no HT, 8 with a four core + HT.

Ahh, thanks.

When we turn HT on, the hardware looks to the software like we get two cores in place of each one. They look the same as the non HT one, just there's two in each place of one. It does this so that it can save time switching between two processes. When it's only one it has to stop start every process as it switches. With HT on it only stalls on half the processes. That's why HT enabled outperforms HT disabled. The problem with HT On is that each of these two LPs share one real core. If we're not careful, HT on will cause programs to create twice as much work filling the chip. That's why some find better performance turning off HT, they just have a poor setup with HT on.

Question: I got 144Hz monitor, do I need to use Vsync and TB? My GPU is a Geforce 970

@Lindbergh72 - I also have a 144Hz Gsync monitor and per Steve's advice I went with an NI external limit of 29 (1/5 of 144 is 28.8).  Using unlimited in P3D and Vsync on and TB on - this has REALLY been much smoother for me.  I was TRYING to use Gsync and unlimited frames hoping that Gsync would cure the stutters problem (which it DOES improve) but the FPS fluctuations and long frames still drove me crazy.  Then I went with NI limiter at 36 (my fps would fluctuate mostly from 40-40fps) and this helped more but still in steep turns I could notice the terrain "skipping" ever so slightly.  So I listened to Steve and tried NI at 29, VS ON, TB ON, UNlIMITED FPS, removed my FFTF setting in CGF and changed Texture Bandwidth Multiplier to 180.  I also set up P3d with no AM (aka 15 or using all 4 cores (non HT i5 5930k at 4.7Ghz) and took time to set up all external proggies to use only cores 2-4 freeing up 1st core (core 0) for the main P3D thread using Steve's .bat file manual method...bottom line?  Damn if I haven't ever had a smoother experience!  Bottom line - not sure if your 144Hz monitor is Gsync or not but regardless...Gsync doesn't work below 30fps anyway so it shouldn't matter...try the above and see what you think?

• Upvote 1

Thanks Gino,

I do have Gsync (acer predator xb270hu)  But I don't agree with you about having no AM. I've added AM to my cfg with 85 for my i7 4790 and it works very nice. The only thing I was unsure of was the Vsync and TB :-) 

Frank - makes sense to use AM=85 on your cpu since this forces P3D to 4 cores which is essentially what I accomplish by using no AM, which for my CPU (non HT quad core) is the same as an AM setting of 15 in cfg.  Love that monitor (same as mine) btw...hope you do too!