Sign in to follow this  
Malafor

Terrain Package Options

Hi am thinking about buying Orbx Globle Base and Vector to enhance my FSX-SE .
I wanted to ask other players opinion on there views with this package.
Is there any other packs which you would consider better value for money as the Orbx is not cheap.
Also what freeware packages would you recommend.
As it stands i have....
Rex Soft Clouds
REX Texture Direct 4
Active Sky Next
Ezdok

Basicaly i want to improve my game's over all visual appearance and as i am new to this sim and i would appreciate some of your opinion's.

Thanks

as the Orbx is not cheap.

It is cheap compared to its closest competitor, which is GEX.  I don't recall the exact number, but I once calculated that GEX would cost 2 to 2 1/2 times what FTX Global does and with that, I'm not sure if GEX covers all of the areas that FTX does.

The same situation exists with FTX Vector and UTX, its closest competitor.  However, UTX (IMHO) is a superior product, so the cost is justified.  However, UTX does not cover all of the areas that FTX Vector does, so that is another consideration

I'm not pushing any product, just stating the financial reality.   As for which you decide to go with.. You'll have to weigh perceived quality vs total cost.

Of course, if you're willing to wait, ORBX usually has a sale around Christmas and sometimes once during the year.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

It would depend on the type of flying (GA-low altitude or Commercial tubes at high altitude) and the area you

like to fly in.  ORBX is fantastic for GA flying and probably Photo-Real for higher altitudes.  I use

BlueSky scenery for most of my tube-type flying.  Try some of the free offerings from ORBX.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Global + Vector works if you fly airliners great distances or you like flying in different regions each flight.

Orbx regions are much more detailed and the best option if you like low and slow. Southern/Central California is good for this plus so many addon airports available to add if you are happy getting in a little prop and flying a hundred miles or less.

I would go with FTX Australia it gives you the entire continent in good detail and you can add some of their addon airports and FlyTampa YSSY. I wish a developer did YPPH Perth International but the rest of the airports are pretty well covered.

Don't forget FreeMeshX available here in the forums.

Don't forget FreeMeshX available here in the forums.

+1  - I was about to highly recommend that too...

Ian S

38.jpg

Hi,

And thanks for the fast replys it seems theres a nice and friendly community here which i appreciate.

I also hope you dont think that some of my questions sound abit stupid or anything like that as i prefer to ask questions to people who know what there talking about rather than trolling forums here there and everywhere for hours on end.

When i get my head into a game / sim i will play it for years ( last game eve online played for over 12years ) so i look at the long term and the bigger picture ( no pun intended lol ).

With reguard to Charliearon's question my home is in North Wales 7miles east of Caernarfon Airport.So my plan is to fly South around Europe then over to USA Then South America Onto Australia and at some point end up in Asia.Using the larger aeroplanes for the long haul part and smaller ones to explore.Being a Mature gamer if only in age and have time on my hands to do this :smile:

Now it seems FTX Orbx is the way to go with all the add-ons etc so i will most probably go for that.

But in the mean time if i installed FreeMeshX ( 777200irf thanks for the heads up ) then in a few weeks purchase FTX would FreeMeshX need uninstalling before i could use FTX ?

Thanks All for your time and patience :dance:

Paul

EDIT.

I have just looked at some of the images from FreeMeshX and WOW what can i say the quality is amazing i have seen some payware that doesnt look that good very nice

Edit 2.

But in the mean time if i installed FreeMeshX ( 777200irf thanks for the heads up ) then in a few weeks purchase FTX would FreeMeshX need uninstalling before i could use FTX ?

Theres a good guide included

Edited by Malafor

No you wouldn't need to install it, the key would be the positioning of the files in the Addon Scenery list. This is a direct lift off the FreeMeshX website - 

"I’ve been frequently asked on where to add these in the scenery library. The answer is: It’s up to you. I would keep them before any ORBX regions and after your stock scenery. That’s about all the advice we can give you since everyone’s library is so different."

Ian S

38.jpg

Yea I have read the Info.

As i said before thanks for the info on this,it looks damn good