Sign in to follow this  
GreyLadyAir

SSD Size

Now that SSD's are at a good value, Should I just use one 1Tb SSD or 512 Gb on C: drive for everything, OS, FSXE and all add on's, aircraft, scenery etc., and not bother with using any other drive for storage. 

Now that SSD's are at a good value, Should I just use one 1Tb SSD or 512 Gb on C: drive for everything, OS, FSXE and all add on's, aircraft, scenery etc., and not bother with using any other drive for storage. 

Welcome to the forum. Full names are required to be placed in your posts in this part of the forum - first and last.

While this is more of a question for the generic FSX/FSX:SE section of the AVSIM forum, I'll toss my opinion in:

My set up is a decent amount of overkill, but given what I do, it kinda makes sense:

1. SSD - 1TB: OS Drive
  2. SSD - 256GB: FSX/FSX:SE
  3. SSD - 256GB: P3D
  4. SSD - 256GB: X-Plane
  5. SSD - 256GB: Backups/installers

...with a combination of Network Attached Storage and Dropbox for various picture/file backups. Again, most people wouldn't really need something like this - and I don't truly need it - but I like the idea that, if I'm testing something and somehow mess up a single sim, I can just nuke the drive (reformat it) and start over without worrying about affecting anything else. Additionally, if I need to upgrade a single drive, I'm only affecting a single sim (or two, in the case of FSX/FSX:SE, but I keep those stock, so those are quick installs).

All that in mind, I think people would have the best success from one hard drive for your Operating System, and one drive for FSX/FSX:SE. Even with all of the stuff I have packed into P3D, I'm still well below the 256GB available. Getting a 512GB might give you a little more room, but I'm not sure I'd find it necessary. Then again, I know some people pack as many high-detail airports into their sim as possible.

Kyle Rodgers

I have a 960Gb SSD as my C\:: which runs my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit as well as my FSX-SE and other programs. So far, touch wood, I've seen no detriment. I can boot into the lock screen within less than a minute, and frame rates using a EVGA GTX970 at a 4.2GHz Haswell CPU are good too. No stutters. So, I'm happy.

I would echo a minimum of a 240GB for your simulator alone. You could get away with a 120GB for the OS drive but you need to manage it carefully. Separating your simulator onto its own dedicated drive lessens the chance that Windows would take any bandwidth away, as a separate drive gets its own SATA port and hence bus through to the CPU\PCH.