Sign in to follow this  
N3265A

Thoughts on a Build

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's a budget minded build - I think it will do well. Id venture a guess of 18-22 fps in pmdg aircraft in weather with addon scenery... Higher the more you OC

Keep settings reasonable and overclock it as best you can

Edit: Z170 - try the Asrock board http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157636&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-N82E16813157636&gclid=CPOh_tXFycsCFQeraQod55IN0A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit again - Windows 8? Bah stick with Win7 - Amazon has it for 60 bucks. If you want get Win10 but not 8.

People are going to rush in screaming "6700K / GTX 980 Ti " etc etc - not for your budget build!

Also, does anyone have any idea for a motherboard with a Z170 chip.

I went fort the Asus Z170-A fantastic board for the price. Did consider the deluxe, but then at the last minute used my common sense, and accepted the fact that I wouldn't use many of the features of the deluxe.

Max budget?

Overclocking?

Thanks to both of you. My budget is around $850, but I can be a little flexible. Also, I may overclock my computer.

MS support of Skylake for W7/8 ends 2017.  W10 is highly recommended. 

I was planing to upgrade to windows 10 for free anyway.

I wouldn't adulterate an OS on its birthday with an upgrade especially when I was paying for an OS anyway but it's your dime.  Make sure your MB is approved for W8.  GL

I wondered, with Windows 10, how to be sure Windows won't install video driver update by itself? Because my understanding is that W10 will download update automatically. It seems it is not possible to run Windows Update manually such as with W7. How do you deal with that?

Pierre

I wondered, with Windows 10, how to be sure Windows won't install video driver update by itself? Because my understanding is that W10 will download update automatically. It seems it is not possible to run Windows Update manually such as with W7. How do you deal with that?

Pierre

This seems to work:  http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Edit:  You know Phil they are updating W10 all the time.  What was said in 2015 may not apply to today.  I never stopped W10 from updating and I have not seen any attempts for the OS to update my video driver.  Not sure if it would or not but I probably wouldn't come out of the gate with a new system and limit its ability to update.  I would wait to see if it is an issue first.  Just my 2-cents.

The 960 all day long, however if you can find an extra $80 that will get you a 970 which would be more than worth it

Flight sim is traditionally CPU biased. However, that doesn't mean to say that the GPU  has no effect. These days, now we are using higher resolutions and AA settings, and add-ons that stress the GPU more it's become more important. But yes, still the emphasis is on CPU power.

I'm no P3D experts, but I believe LM have made strides toward shifting the emphasis  more toward the GPU. CPU is still the priority though.