Sign in to follow this  
YukonPete

FSX-SE Whats the best tweak guide?

thought I would install FSX-SE.  Whats the best go to tweak guide? Does it require the same tweaks as the Box edition or did dovetail already optimize it for more modern hardware?

Cheers!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I just started using it.

I only made three changes to my .cfg file

Highmemfix=1 in the "graphics" section  (not sure if this is needed, but it wasn't present anywhere else in the file so I added it)

Wideviewaspect = true

Affinitymask=14

That's it.  And FSX works better than the boxed version ever did.

Jeff Calder

Highmemfix=1 in the "graphics" section (not sure if this is needed, but it wasn't present anywhere else in

DTG hard coded Highmemfix into FSXSE so no more need to add this line in the config file.

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

thought I would install FSX-SE. Whats the best go to tweak guide? Does it require the same tweaks as the Box edition or did dovetail already optimize it for more modern hardware?

Cheers!

Try it without any tweaks first! Don't get obsessed with FPS - if it runs smoothly, stop tweaking and just fly. Many of the ”standard" tweaks were attempts to try to improve performance with older hardware and, as I found in a few cases, can actually make things worse on a modern system. I would definitely avoid the online "we'll tweak your FSX.cfg for you" websites - they add a lot of unnecessary rubbish.

I found running in DX10 with Steve's Fixer made a noticeable difference for me and I would highly recommend it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Adjust your sliders when it bogs down, and keep a frame lock at a reasonable value.

I use 30 FPS frame lock with very dense autogen. I also have my LOD_Radius at 7.5.