Sign in to follow this  
Claude Troncy

My experience with 364.72 the latest nvidia driver.

I've been using Nvidia's GeForce Experience to update my graphics drivers regularly since day one of my current build and never had a problem. I always opt for a clean install and it just works, as designed, every time! For me at least, GFE has removed all the hassle and inconvenience of these sometimes tedious driver updates. The downside of doing a clean install each time is the inability to roll back but, if required, I suppose I could carry out a System Restore. Fortunately this has never been necessary. Usually I wait a week or two to review reports from early adopters, but on this occasion, and perhaps foolishly, I went for it and updated immediately to 364.72 which appear to be performing very well, so no complaints here :)

Mike

I wouldn't even count on system restore to fix a driver issue.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

performance reporting without system specifications is a totally useless....

Sorry,....  so I forgot to give my processor type 4790K OC 4.7ghz and 16go.... In fact again that confirm I never should have start that thread.

Cheers

Claude

Claude Troncy

Lucky you, Mike.

Hi Rick,

Do I detect a hint of irony in your response? I prefer to see it as the product of due care and attention to detail before diving in blindfolded. We make our own luck and occasionally multiple factors ensure we fall short of a successful outcome.

Regards,

Mike

Sorry,....  so I forgot to give my processor type 4790K OC 4.7ghz and 16go.... In fact again that confirm I never should have start that thread.

Cheers

Claude

Hey Claude, no reason to apologize. We all get excited about different aspects of the sim, and one of those of course is

smoothness. Folks can try the driver or not, but you did nothing wrong.

Bob

Do I detect a hint of irony in your response?

Nope. That was meant as a genuine compliment acknowledging your good fortune that you had no issues, ala, 'I've won the lottery', when your numbers don't come up and you compliment somebody for winning. Capice? Sometimes in this game of Updates/Ugrades/Drivers, one can either hit a sweet spot and all goes well..............................or. one can come a cropper.

Thanks for that link. Already had that one from guru3, but that has not done the trick, and now I cannot even roll-back to 347 drivers.

Claude

Did all as per that link, still cannot go forwards or backwards. Might have to hack the Registry to delete everything related to Nvidia.Wish I had never gone anywhere near 364.72 !!!

Sorry to hear that you have issues with the driver uninstalling. I used this tool a couple of times during the past days for switching between NVIDIA and AMD cards and it worked just fine. Let me know if I can offer any more help. 

Hans

Nope. That was meant as a genuine compliment acknowledging your good fortune that you had no issues, ala, 'I've won the lottery', when your numbers don't come up and you compliment somebody for winning.

Okay, fair enough. Thanks!

Mike

Sorry to hear that you have issues with the driver uninstalling. I used this tool a couple of times during the past days for switching between NVIDIA and AMD cards and it worked just fine. Let me know if I can offer any more help. 

Thanks, Hans. You are a star. What a disaster this has been. First, I purchased a utility called Drive Cleaner, which was supposed to clean out everything related to Nvidia. Took 3 goes, and it did finally clear out Nvidia but also took the generic default Windows Display driver, and on re-booting left me with a screen where none of the icons were discernible. Luckily I was able to remember the layout of the CP and work my way to do a System Restore, and thus regain some semblance of a graphics display. But I still have exclamation marks in the Dispaly Entries in DMgr.

So, any help you can render, is most welcome. Not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue or a Registry issue as even Windows Update which finds the new driver, falls down with error messages.

NvidiaIssues.jpg

Tried this install straight off the CD, same result as you can see for every attempt.

Thanks, Rich, that was the first tool I used, and Uninstalled from.

Try this : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

PC SPECS:  WINDOWS 10 X64 , Intel Core i9 9900K @ 4.9GHz, RAM: 64GB DDR4 1800MHz, MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE AORUS ULTRA Z390,GPU: NVIDIA ROG STRIX ROG 3080TI 12GB

Hi Rick,

I feel your pain and can well understand your feelings of frustration over this issue. Nothing else appears to have worked so why not install NVIDIA's GeForce Experience, check for driver updates, chose the custom installation option and then perform a clean install. I have no way of knowing for sure but, like Microsoft's Windows 10, I'm guessing NVIDIA introduced GFE as an idiot proof way of keeping their driver environment current and intact on end user systems.

Like you, I encountered the loss of the generic VGA driver while using 'Driver Cleaner' with Windows XP. Very annoying and so, from that point on, I decided it best to avoid third party driver 'cleaners' as the outcome can not be assured with any degree of certainty. Clearly there will be times when there is no other option but using them routinely is a definite no no as you may be flirting with potential unwelcome outcomes.

This might help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/325341

Anyway, give the GeForce Experience route a try. I'm hoping that the installation routines will scan your existing setup before clearing everything out. Hopefully this will establish a stable starting point from which to guarantee a successful fresh driver install.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/geforce-experience

NVIDIA have been in the game long enough for us to be able to trust they know what they are doing. Ignore the naysayers as their negative experiences with GFE are probably system specific or, more likely, self-induced with all their unnecessary meddling.

I suggest you start by restricting the installation to the Graphics Driver and PhysX. Leave everything else unchecked.

Fingers crossed!

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for that Riche, but will it work for Windows 10.

Just tried your suggestion, Mike, downloaded GeForce Experience. This is what I get:

And your first link is informative, but the Oemnsetup.inf, etc, ect are not found in the INF folder.

GeForceFailsToo.jpg

And most frustrating of all, Windows 10 now tells me that it cannot repair itself! Great

I had the Nvidia install failure 3 times with the latest drivers,which I have never experienced before,So I closed down Comodo firewall,Panda antivirus,Superantispyware,Malwarebytes and guess what they installed like a dream,I believe the antivirus was stopping my install from completing

Peter

Thanks for that Riche, but will it work for Windows 10.

Just tried your suggestion, Mike, downloaded GeForce Experience. This is what I get:

And your first link is informative, but the Oemnsetup.inf, etc, ect are not found in the INF folder.

GeForceFailsToo.jpg

And most frustrating of all, Windows 10 now tells me that it cannot repair itself! Great

Rick, not sure why the driver mess occurred but I believe that you need to completely remove anything NVIDIA related before trying the installation again. I assume that you have an onboard Intel graphics on your mobo. Check if it is enabled in the bios, then connect your monitor to its HDMI output on the board. Reboot into safe mode and run DDU again (the free tool not the payware driver cleaner, get the latest DDU version first). Use the option to clean and shutdown for installation of new card. Let it finish which can take a while and have it shutdown the computer. Then reconnect your NVIDIA card, reboot and you should be in VGA mode. Then reinstall the NVIDIA driver package. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Hans

Hi Rick,

I can see this is proving to be very problematic. I almost hesitate to say this, but have you a recent backup image which predates this issue you can restore? Sometimes it's best to accept the inevitable, cut your losses and simply restore that image - much less hassle and time wasting than starting again from scratch.

Regards,

Mike

If there is a newer beta driver than the one used install all of the features that might get it back to normal then try to uninstall all the features in add remvove in windows control panel if you want to use an older driver

doesnt look like they have one yet - are you sure you used the windows 10 driver version ?

You cant revert back unless you get this latest driver installed and stable - fyi

Rick, not sure why the driver mess occurred but I believe that you need to completely remove anything NVIDIA 

Assuming you are running windows 10 64bit on yout gtx 970 try this driver

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/100868/en-us

==============================================================

Posted by others at nvidia

Delete the NVIDIA Corp folder off your pc, then go to the website and re-download the drviers you need for your card and everything should be working no problem. It happened to me this morning with my GeForce GTX 750. Cause I use a dual monitor setup it was not working till I did those steps. Hopes this helps.

Thanks man. My issue was that windows was trying to install the drivers in the background but it was having some problems so i had to close the processes through task manager and then install the drivers. I found this out while trying to delete the files lol. For others i was getting "Nvidia installer failed" error.

Rich Sennett