Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Problems achieving cruize alt

I realize that it's a normal thing for aircraft about 18k ft to have reduced climb, and I'm wondering if there is a trick to get more than .1 on a climb after this?

Patrick Boynton

Throw out the heavy passengers and she will climb like a kite :)  Are you doing a manual climb or letting the AP do it? Only time I have had any issues with climbing to cruise alt is when I was over weight 

I'm wondering if there is a trick to get more than .1 on a climb after this?

I assume you mean a climb of 100 FPM. Sounds like your OAT/TAT is too high. Is this a consistent problem on every flight or does this just occur occasionally? Do you remember what the OAT was the last time this occurred?

I realize that it's a normal thing for aircraft about 18k ft to have reduced climb, and I'm wondering if there is a trick to get more than .1 on a climb after this?

Patrick Boynton

Did you ever solve your flight temps issues from earlier posts? What you are describing again implies the same problem.

Could I also suggest, as you are returning to the big girl, you carry out the tutorial flights and see if you have the same issues. This way, any item you may have missed, will be covered. When I returned to the MD11, I re-did the tutorials and was happy I did, due to the 777 being soooo different.   

Geoff Bryce

The temperature issue seems to have been resolved, at least in so far as its no longer just dropping like a rock for no reason at all, I do have the weight set at 1/3 and full fuel, which is something I used to do quite frequently, maybe that's the problem? Maybe I need to set my fuel at less than 100%? I don't really need it after all for most flights.

Patrick Boynton

I do have the weight set at 1/3 and full fuel

I don't see how this would cause the problem you described unless the CG is out whack. If you don't see any CG's out of range when you run the MD-11Load Manger and save to FSX this should not cause your problem. You are using the Load Manager and not FSX to load pax and fuel into the MD-11?

and I'm wondering if there is a trick to get more than .1 on a climb after this?

Assuming the OAT is correct and the pax and fuel are Loaded correctly into the MD-11, let's try and isolate the problem in either the loaded panel state or the FMS. After you load the MD-11 into FSX I assume you change the panel state to Cold and Dark, Short Turn, Long Turn, etc. Leave it just as it loads into FSX. Complete the FMS setup and the remaining steps such as lights on, brakes at RTO, flaps set, TCAS on Spoilers armed, etc. Takeoff and see what happens. If the issue persists, it's in the FMS setup and the several steps after that. If everything seems okay, it's in the panel state that is being loaded and the steps performed on the panel state to prepare for flight.