Sign in to follow this  
rlw9sr

Is Reinstall the Answer?

I continue to experience random, crashes of Prepar3D (v3.2.3.16769) to the desktop without error messages either in the Event Viewer, WhatIsHang, AppCrashViewer, or via fsuipc.log (Win 7 Prof).   I have several devices including a PFC yoke and Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Rudder pedals, GF-ICCS, and a Logitech G13 which is programmed for cockpit and external views.  The scenery includes UK2000, FlyTampa, and FSDT; ASN is used for the weather generation.  I have examined the dll and exe.xml files and eliminated items one by one to no effect.  Initially, I thought their may be a correlation with Side by Side errors msgs generated by the G13; that has been resolved through an update of x64 C++ packages.   There's little to go on (as PMDG will affirm).  Are there any suggestions or is this a restart from the beginning (reinstall the OS and Prepar3D)?  Thanks--

Robert

P.S. i7 4930k/16GB memory/GTX Titan X (v364.72)

From my experience, and it's a long one, you should not bother with reinstalling the OS unless it shows errors unrelated to the sim. Uninstall Prepar3D and all add-ons first though. Then reinstall Prepar3D and the add-ons one after another. Run the sim and check if it is stable after each run. It should point you to the right direction soon. 

• Upvote 1

Hans Schmitz

Do you have any other games/sims on that PC?  If so, do they CTD?

Might want to run some freeware burn-in tests just to make sure everything is working correctly on the hardware front.  Prime95, RealBench, 3D Mark, etc. etc.

If the hardware is ok, then do the following:

1.  rename EXE.XML, DLL.XML (these can be located in two folders ProgramData and AddData\Roaming ... make sure hit all 4 files if they exist

2.  delete shaders folder

3.  unplug all your devices except keyboard/mouse - find a standard keyboard and plug that it, unplug the G13

Now test P3D by flying with keyboard/mouse only.

If you still get CTDs, then go Hans's route

If you still CTD with base NO-Add P3D, then it'll be time to consider re-installing the OS

Cheers, Rob.

Do you have any other games/sims on that PC?  If so, do they CTD?

Might want to run some freeware burn-in tests just to make sure everything is working correctly on the hardware front.  Prime95, RealBench, 3D Mark, etc. etc.

If the hardware is ok, then do the following:

1.  rename EXE.XML, DLL.XML (these can be located in two folders ProgramData and AddData\Roaming ... make sure hit all 4 files if they exist

2.  delete shaders folder

3.  unplug all your devices except keyboard/mouse - find a standard keyboard and plug that it, unplug the G13

Now test P3D by flying with keyboard/mouse only.

If you still get CTDs, then go Hans's route

If you still CTD with base NO-Add P3D, then it'll be time to consider re-installing the OS

Cheers, Rob.

Good point Rob, while I never experienced issues with hardware it makes a lot of sense to eliminate this as a failure source as well.

Hans Schmitz

Hans and Rob--Thanks for the suggestions.  I had checked the hardware with Prime95 and 3DMark. The flights are long-haul, e.g. YSSY-KSFO with the PMDG 7772.  I suspect the G13 because of the previous Side by Side errors; I suppose it's conceivable that an abort command is somehow generated; I can't think of anything that doesn't leave some "footprint." I'll report back--Thanks again--

Robert 

I had similar issues with P3DV3.2 crashing randomly. Despite my best efforts I was unable to find the cause so I did a complete reinstallation of  P3D. I no longer had the issue after this and began the slow and laborious addition of my many addons (you name it, I have it). However this time I used Simlink Creator to create Directory Hard Links to install my addons (include ORBX) outside of P3D. I also did the same with any P3D directories that are changed during installations; such as gauges, fonts, effects. This means that if I ever have to reinstall P3D all I have to do is to create new links to these folders. I've had no issues thus far and I have lots of room on my P3D drive and performance is better than ever.

Dale Collins

When I started to receive OOMs in P3D v3, I bit the bullet and did a reinstall of P3D and all related add-ons I used.  I considered it a refresh, which seemed to help me.  With the recent reinstall of FTX Vector (which I was hesitant about), P3D still ran the same as it did before the reinstall, so to provide some feedback to the OP, I would say that it totally up to you if you want to do a reinstall of the sim or not, but I wouldn't recommend a full "nuke" of your entire system unless, as Robin pointed out, there are other issues at play with the system and not just the sim.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I had been having problems with all apps under my very old overly updated, upgraded from win 7, and bandaged 8.1 OS.

So I did a clean install of windows 10 on a new SSD and reinstalled P3D and all its bells and whistle apps and everything is quite pleasing.

I kept my antiquated 8.1 OS as a multi-boot choice so that i can get all my other-than P3D stuff as needed, which is slowly becoming unnecessary.

A definite solution.

PS If you do this win 10 will hide the other OS(s) from the boot manager so you have to do a repair of startup only, from the 8.1 disc

P3D-v4  RULES

Allen  Lavigne    in   Canada

27.jpg

Are there any suggestions.

Sure,  try Xplane 10

With the hardware specs you have, XP will run with lots of eye candy and with real butter smooth performance.

Carlos Franklin

Sims: XPlane

Asus Sabertooth z77 - i7 3770k @ 4.6 HT WC - 32gb Corsair @ 2133 (XMP) - Asus GTX 1070 - 250 Evo Pro SSD for Win10 Pro - 500 Evo Pro SSD for XP11

With the hardware specs you have, XP will run with lots of eye candy and with real butter smooth performance.

I wish, that's NOT been the case for me, P3D can provide considerably more eye candy and supports multiple GPUs which XP10 does not.  I like XP10, but performance is definitely NOT it's strong point (especially with HDR and 4K res and clouds for the most part really kill performance - doing a 80-90mi equivalent cloud distance in XP10 will bring any system to it's knees).  Anyway, this thread isn't about XP10.

I suppose it's conceivable that an abort command is somehow generated;

This could be very likely ... I accidentally generated an Abort command with one of my GF controllers and it does indeed just dump you to desktop with no error (as it should).  In my case I had accidentally associate Abort to one of my button states.

Cheers, Rob.

Anyway, this thread isn't about XP10.

I can definitely agree with this last statement.

Carlos Franklin

Sims: XPlane

Asus Sabertooth z77 - i7 3770k @ 4.6 HT WC - 32gb Corsair @ 2133 (XMP) - Asus GTX 1070 - 250 Evo Pro SSD for Win10 Pro - 500 Evo Pro SSD for XP11