Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Q400 taxi?

I understand everything in the tutorial flight but how to taxi, how exactly do I get this airplane to turn while on the ground?

Is it going too fast to make the turns?  Are there conditioning levers to adjust the idle speed?  Rudder or nose

wheel steering?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

If you're talking about the Majestic Q400, by default the roll/aileron axis controls the nose wheel steering and adjusts the power levers slightly to help you turn. To turn on the ground simply roll left/right. You can made smaller corrections with the yaw/rudder axis, as this axis is only for the rudder (not the tiller) and only turns the nose wheel a few degrees

I understand everything in the tutorial flight but how to taxi, how exactly do I get this airplane to turn while on the ground?

Hamoody is correct above, however that option does need enabling in the control panel, you'll find it under Flight Controls you need to select Ailerons + Mouse.  It's probably set on mouse only. 

Ian R Tyldesley

Select which controls you wish to use for Taxi in the Control Panel, and when on the Flight Deck be sure you have the Nose Wheel Steering Switch to on.  It's located on the bottom right of the Captains Panel and I believe it just says "Steering".

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

She's a handful, lol.

I selected Ailerons + Mouse.  I have no idea what Mouse only does, and spoiler makes no sense to me for turning.  I suppose spoiler can be assigned an axis with a controller but that seems weird.

If you select Aileron+Mouse you turn by moving the yoke as you would in flight to bank.  Kinda like steering a car.  Works best for me.  I think some people have a separate joystick they like to assign for the tiller, but that's too much work IMO.

As far as in-game play goes, you must turn the nose-wheel steering on, like you would in a real Dash 8.  It's the switch on the bottom right behind the tiller handle. 

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

If you're talking about the Majestic Q400, by default the roll/aileron axis controls the nose wheel steering and adjusts the power levers slightly to help you turn. To turn on the ground simply roll left/right. You can made smaller corrections with the yaw/rudder axis, as this axis is only for the rudder (not the tiller) and only turns the nose wheel a few degrees

I finally realized that the steering thing on the left controlls the wheel, but I have no idea how to program that into my joystick. If it can be or not.

Shouldn't need to program it.  If you select the Aileron method then using the yoke/joystick that you'd use to bank the aircraft in flight will turn it on the ground.  Again, I have no idea how the mouse method works.  I mean you can grab the tiller with the mouse but that's kinda hard unless your view is way back or you have two monitors.  And the spoiler method I think requires an assignment too.  IDK.

If you aren't gonna use the Aileron+mouse choice then you might want to ask on their support forum

Set that option in the control panel and turn on the nose-wheel steering above the tiller (circled in red below) and use your yoke or joystick that you use to fly the plane.  No reason it shouldn't work.  If you have tried to enable 125hz controls then that can take some trial and error.

Q400.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

The thing that caught me out originally was turning the nosewheel steering ON using the switch that Chris has circled. if you have the other settings he has outlined all set then you should be fine. The Q400 has perhaps the best taxiing characteristics of any FS aircraft available!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg