Sign in to follow this  
KNOSSOS

Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA)

Yes - I can see that would be a problem!!!! Thanks for the quick reply. I may try going back to FEX to create much lighter/paler base water textures. I have terrain looking pretty good, IMHO, but water has always been a problem for me in P3D.

To me, skies have degraded deeply in P3D. I was seeing several screenshots I made in the FSX times and some of them are really awesome, something which I still couldn't resolve in P3D. Things like darker skies at high altitude, yellowish dusks, to name a few, I just can't get even half of the beauty. I've always used REX as far as I can recall, and I just don't know why it happens. I even tried some freeware textures, which improved things a little bit, but they injected collateral effects such as making the panels with strange colors.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

To me, skies have degraded deeply in P3D. I was seeing several screenshots I made in the FSX times and some of them are really awesome, something which I still couldn't resolve in P3D. Things like darker skies at high altitude, yellowish dusks, to name a few, I just can't get even half of the beauty. I've always used REX as far as I can recall, and I just don't know why it happens. I even tried some freeware textures, which improved things a little bit, but they injected collateral effects such as making the panels with strange colors.

I hate to say it (after all these hours of PTA tweaking) but I tend to agree!! Much as I like the way P3D handles the terrain shading, there's something "soul-less" about its skies. I also look back at some of my FSX screenshots and wonder!

Also - along with the "upgrade" to P3D, all the major sky/cloud applications have also been "upgraded" - yet I don't feel we're really seeing as much of an improvement as we would expect. Certain late add-ons (Soft Clouds etc.) weren't really improvements, IMHO, more an attempt to "fix" deficiencies in P3D.

And ... don't even mention the water ... :Hmmmph:

Adam.

• Upvote 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

LOL! I'm starting to worry about you guys. I think maybe it's time to think about enrolling in 'TA' (Tweakers Anonymous), step back for a while and enjoy your magnificent achievements.

Seriously, I wonder whether you are experiencing a degree of tweaker's burn-out. All that tweaking, all that interminable loading and reloading to compare the 'after' with the 'before'. The more you tweak the more those feelings of uncertainty and frustration tighten their grip as you strive for a state of perfection which likely will always remain elusive.

I love your presets, Adam, but, as we all know, the degree of success depends largely on each individual's perception of what is close to being real and the choice of installed Sky textures. I look at your incredible screen shots and know that these are extraordinarily close representations of the reality we see in our natural environments. However, it is unlikely that we will ever match exactly what nature has to offer 100% of the time. Best we can hope for is a close approximation. Also, let's not forget our experiences will vary greatly depending on where we live and our first hand knowledge of other parts of the world. Right now I am looking out my window at a pale blue sky in Central Scotland which is pretty close to what I can see these days in Prepar3D. Again, I have witnessed morning and evening skies mirroring what can be seen in the simulator.

Currently I am using Sky textures installed by ENVTEX along with your 20_09 tweaks, Adam. This combination provides a good balance of colour and lighting of all affected sim elements throughout the day and night. Also, I would encourage everyone to try Mamedov Gennadiy's great set of Sky textures and a link to download can be found on Yuri's (aka KNOSSOS) website. I have tried other presets, but to date find myself returning to that which provides what I am looking for in the sim.

It is a very personal experience and we should not allow ourselves to be discouraged by less than favourable comments from others who may be at risk of finding themselves trapped by their unrepresentative expectations.

Using Yuri's exemplary PTA utility, I am already more than happy with what you have achieved for us, Adam. I am one of those preferring to avoid any tweaking at this level, leaving instead that onerous task to willing folk, like your good self, who have a good eye and clearly know what they are doing. However, and perhaps inevitably, that effort often comes with a cost. Your enthusiasm is undoubtedly infectious and your evident skills have certainly helped enormously to drive this remarkable project forwards. I thank you for that and obviously would prefer to see this continue, but not at any expense. For my part, I would not wish you to carry on simply because, with your ongoing self-imposed involvement, you are now feeling a sense of obligation to the Community. Many of us have come to rely on your superb tweaking skills and certainly look forward to the release of each new Preset. Hopefully, and despite the downsides of time spent testing and retesting, you are still enjoying the challenge and will continue willingly to the point when, for all practical purposes, all tweaking options have been exhausted.

Maybe you should consider taking some 'me time' and step back from this responsibility for a spell to recharge those batteries. Both you and Yuri have given us far more than we could reasonably have expected in a relatively short period of time. Exploring the world has become a real visual treat and starting Prepar3D each time now fills me with feelings of eager anticipation of what may await.

Best regards,

Mike

Great tool! Thanks a lot for that, it changed P3D completely along with URP.

However, in v1 there was the ability to add a certain cusomt twea to a certain camera. Why has that disappered from v2? I would like to aplly some brightness to the VC alone because the contrast I use is great for the outside but it makes the VC too dark for me.

Cheers

Gentlemen,

I have to add to what has been posted these last couple of post. I am a lurker on these forums, enjoying the work of others! I agree with Mike (Cruachan) whole heartedly with his post. You all who have put all this together have given the P3D community such a wonderful thing for us to use. It's time to take a brake and relax and enjoy your work. Thank you very much for making this sim a beautiful place to fly in.

David

VCW3

Thank you all (and particularly Mike!) for all your wonderful messages of support! I'm truly touched (honest!) ... and it's so great to hear other people enjoying what I enjoy.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression - I'm not in any way despondent - far from it. It's just that you do sometimes find yourself taking a long hard look  - with a view that maybe you "can't see the wood for the trees"!

Though tweaking (and all those P3D restarts) can get a bit repetitive, the vast majority of the time is spent at what's on-screen which, usually, is pretty stunnng. I'm lucky enough to live in NZ in Real Life, so I'm constantly amazed at how true to life P3D can become. It really is a pleasure.

Just prove I'm not giving up, here's one from a recent "session" (the full trio is in the other thread - http://www.avsim.com/topic/490178-prepar3d-tweak-assistant-pta-screenshots-presets/#entry3557983 ) - and, yes, given the right conditions (and choice of cloud textures) great skies *can* be achieved in P3D:

tasmania_01_626_1350.jpg

Adam.

• Upvote 2

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I'd like to darken a bit autogen objects during day/dusk/dawn (for night there is a parameter).  Any chance to do it?

I'd like to darken a bit autogen objects during day/dusk/dawn (for night there is a parameter).  Any chance to do it?

Yes. Please use Objects lighting tweak and adjust the Diffuse and Ambient parameters for sun lighting. You can see how they affect the scene by using "Images" button.

this tweak works if only the autogen receives shadows. any way to change the btightness with unchecked shadows?

this tweak works if only the autogen receives shadows. any way to change the btightness with unchecked shadows?

Well then, it needs a fiddling with the custom tweak..

Try this:

AutogenDim_3124521_24981718.jpg

and adjust 0.7 there (lower = darker).

Of course this not tested thoroughly. Using the Objects lighting tweak with shadows=ON is much better.

• Upvote 2

Yuri,

Is there a way yo highlight clouds parts where the sun is shining on ?

To make the clouds look more like this :

clouds.jpg

Thanks

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Is there a way yo highlight clouds parts where the sun is shining on ?

All I can propose is experiments with the Clouds lighting tuning and Clouds light scattering tweaks.

The first one allows more bright clouds. And the second one can make the difference between lit and unlit sides of clouds more noticeable.

regards,

Great tool! Thanks a lot for that, it changed P3D completely along with URP.

However, in v1 there was the ability to add a certain cusomt twea to a certain camera. Why has that disappered from v2? I would like to aplly some brightness to the VC alone because the contrast I use is great for the outside but it makes the VC too dark for me.

Cheers

Yuri, did you get this?

Cheers

Yuri, did you get this?

I'm sorry, I missed it.

There were some troubles with a/c specific cameras that need only manual assignments.

And the new post-process assignment method is more user-friendly.

I made a sort of poll about it and my proposal has been endorsed unanimously.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.