Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

Commander Merlyn Turbo Charger conversion

Works now like a charm Greg :wink:

Cheers

Pat

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

I'm a little sideways on the leaning with this conversion.I was under the impression that with a conversion you shouldn't have to lean it at all.

I'm a little sideways on the leaning with this conversion.I was under the impression that with a conversion you shouldn't have to lean it at all.

That's what I can't find info.  Certain planes are different I've found.  The Cirrus I believe, you only lean for fuel flow but the actual power is still present in their turbo normalizer.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

IRL, while there are variations between turbo-charger implementations, in general you wouldn't lean at all in climb, but would once cruise is reached - though the amount of leaning would typically be very modest even then. In FSX/P3D, however, with its broken mixture model you'll HAVE to lean or you'll lose power as you climb. It's not in any way correct IRL, but an unfortunate necessity in the sim.

Scott

That is one thing I wish LM would fix in P3D, a more realistic model to the RW on leaning aircraft engines....it's pretty far off the way it is now.

Martin

Like you Ryan i can't seem to find info on it also. Now for sounds files for the turbo .My friend has the free Commander i think B 90 if that sounds right  and he sent it to me . i put it in but had to remove it cause it doesn't sound right and went back to the original.This thing is worst then a 767 , you have to almost start slowing down 20 mi. back, what a slippery little gem . The Real air Duke turbin Martin, we dont touch the mixtures at all .  

"The Real air Duke turbin Martin, we dont touch the mixtures at all".

Correct you wouldn't have mixture controls in a turbine,  they are replaced with condition levels, whereas in a turbo like the AC500S you do.

Cheers

Martin

Correct you wouldn't have mixture controls in a turbine, they are replaced with condition levels, whereas in a turbo like the AC500S you do.

Additionally, if by chance you were referring to the Piston Duke, Real Air has taken some steps to help with the FSX mixture issues in their turbo-charged Piston Duke (B60).  You still have to lean (even though you shouldn't) but not as soon, and not as much.

Again, the issue is inherent in FSX/P3D and their piston model.

Scott

Thanks for this great update!

It only cost me $50,000 more for the TC version in Air Hauler 2 and I made that back in one round-trip with the extra MTOW it provides.

One question I have for the community:

• How would you go about updating the performance tables for a checklist for this aircraft?

I am working on a printable checklist (Templatehttps://github.com/19TDG2000617078/00-CL-1/tree/master; 500S: https://github.com/19TDG2000617078/00-CL-1/tree/500S) written in LuaLaTeX that prints three pages per 8.5" x 11" US Letter paper. Early prototypes print and cut well, it's all down to refining the actual content. For the most part I built it based on Carenado's checklists, the actual POH, and my own real-world aviation experience. The issue is, the performance tables won't match up with the new turbocharger installed, including the fuel burn rate, economy/performance cruise settings, best anything, etc. Is there somewhere in P3D I can look to pull raw data for aircraft performance? I'd appreciate any inputs.

Thanks!

Additionally, any feedback you have on the checklist I'd love to hear. Once I complete the 500S, it'll be very easy to translate the same format to any other aircraft (I've already started the A36 Bonanza, the Twin Otter, and the DO 228).

Andrew

From Leroy Cook's article in the October 2003 issue of Private Pilot, reporting on a real flight test with a turbocharged 680E:

3400 rpm for takeoff.

3200 rpm climb.

"The little Lycomings can pull a maximum of 48 inches manifold pressure to give 340 HP for sea level take-off.  . . 44.5" manifold pressure at 8000 ft. 

. . .it's unstated but understood that two mins. is the take-off power duration, after which the sea level power limit is 45" at 3200 rpm."

"I like to fly away at Vyse, about 100 mph, but . . . it can be yanked off the ground at 80 mph in 1000 ft. of runway."

"Once off, the throttles are pulled back to the top of the green or less and rpm is reduced to 3200; but a quieter cruise climb at 2750 can be conducted at 130--135 mph.  Climb rate is about 1500 fpm with all engines operating at max conditions."

[this airplane was 43 years old at the time] "The original specs showed a 226 mph cruise speed on 65% power at 10,000 ft. Today's pilots can would probably figure on 190 kts. burning about 19 gph per side, pulling about 28" of manifold pressure.  The usual cruise rpm is 2600 revs, which turns the propellers at 1700 rpm."

There's no mention of conversion because this aircraft was, iirc, manufactured as turbocharged, but he does mention that the overhaul cost of $35K per engine (Lycoming GSO-480) was cost prohibitive.  At the time, the airplane (TG-DEL) was still in the hands of its original owner, who had it in for TLC at Downtown Air Park in OKC.  I thought he mentioned the name of the outfit doing the work, but if so I'm missing it.

Note:  Leroy was a writer and Sr. Editor for the now-defunct Private Pilot magazine, and author of 100 Things To Do with Your Private Pilot's License.  I was lucky enough to have him as my flight instructor.

Anyway, thanks for the mod!

On 10/6/2016 at 6:52 PM, Tenpin said:

Thank you so much for this conversion. I had another plane - in idle - on the RW and and exchanged it with a 500s TC. Works just fine. Seeing 188 kias level flight at 2000 feet (32 mp and 2400 rpm. Put it in a 1000fpm climb using the same mp and rpm, steady at 168 kias in the climb. 

Do you have or been flying a 500S with this merlyn conversion 320? 

Its similary to the fsx conversion?

What are the values in the stages of the flight? I dont think that an engine of 320hp use 2500/2400 rpm i think that there wil be higher values.