Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

Commander Merlyn Turbo Charger conversion

Must of done some thing major wrong cause i folowed the instructions best i could . All was fine till i did a cold and dark and that thing took off hell bent for election -the sreen turned all red  and so much for that . I rebooted and put every thing back to normal 

Louis,

Sorry you had a problem. sounds like there was a LOT of fuel in the start. The red screen is simulating a red out due to excessive negative "Gs". If you want to try again, copy the entire folder so that you still the original Shrike. If you need more help PM me.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

I know slightly off topic but how high can you go with no pressurization and just an oxy bottle?

It depends at least somewhat on equipment used, but in general it is as Ed notes as high as the airplane can fly if the right equipment is used.  For example, it's quite common for GA pilots in turboed singles and light twins to use nasal cannulas rather than masks.  This kind of setup is nice because you don't have to use special equipment for radio work and normal conversation, and they're simply more comfortable than a full mask (though they can dry out your nose something fierce!).  In the US, however, a cannulla can only be used up to 18,000'.

Apologies for the off topic post.  :wink:

Scott

Must of done some thing major wrong cause i folowed the instructions best i could . All was fine till i did a cold and dark and that thing took off hell bent for election -the sreen turned all red  and so much for that . I rebooted and put every thing back to normal 

Same for me ! When I start the engine Lor R, from C &D the plane start spinning all over the place like if it was full throttle!

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

Patrick and Louis,

I tried a C&D start this morning and got the same result. I do not know what is causing this. It is now a known issue. 

Greg

Greg Morin

Ha ok we'll just sit back and wait .

I found the cause of the erratic behavior when doing a cold and dark start up. I changed the power scale to reflect the increase in horse power. It was that variable that causes the problem. Any change in the power scale will cause a disastrous start. The turbo charger and thrust scale changes are fine. I was getting 198 KIAS  at sea level 32" MP and 2400 rpm. Using just the turbo charger and thrust scale changes, I am getting 186 KIAS at 32" and 2400 rpm at sea level. 

Here is the changed aircraft cfg:

[piston_engine]
power_scalar =            1.0 // was 1.0                     //Piston power scalar
cylinder_displacement= 91.7                     //Cubic inches per cylinder
compression_ratio= 8.0                          //Compression ratio
number_of_cylinders= 6                          //Number of cylinders
max_rated_rpm=   2575                           //Max rated RPM                                         
max_rated_hp=     320 // was 290                           //Max rated HP                                                
fuel_metering_type= 0                           //0=Fuel Injected, 1=Gravity Carburetor, 2=Aerobatic Carburetor
cooling_type=       0                           //0=Cooling type Air, 1=Cooling type Liquid
normalized_starter_torque= 0.3                  //Starter torque factor
turbocharged=       1                           //Is it turbocharged? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE                      
max_design_mp=      41                           //Max design manifold pressure, (inHg)                     
min_design_mp=      1                           //Min design manifold pressure, (inHg)
critical_altitude= 18000                           //Altitude to which the turbocharger will provide max design manifold pressure (feet)  0000
emergency_boost_type= 0                         //0=None, 1=Water Injection, 2=Methanol/Water injection, 3=War Emergency Power
emergency_boost_mp_offset=   0                  //Additional manifold pressure supplied by emergency boost
emergency_boost_gain_offset= 0                  //Multiplier on manifold pressure due to emergency boost
fuel_air_auto_mixture= 0                        //Automixture available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
auto_ignition= 0                                //Auto-Ignition available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 1.0       //Scalar on maximum RPM mechanical efficiency
idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 1.0      //Scalar on idle RPM mechanical efficiency
max_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0                    //Scalar on maximum RPM friction
idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0                   //Scalar on idle RPM friction

[propeller]
thrust_scalar = 1.10 // was 1.0                             //Propeller thrust scalar
propeller_type= 0                               //0=Constant Speed, 1=Fixed Pitch
propeller_diameter= 6.4                         //Propeller Diameter, (feet)
propeller_blades= 3                             //Number of propeller blades
propeller_moi= 4.0                              //Propeller moment of inertia
beta_max= 45.0                                  //Maximum blade pitch angle for constant speed prop, (degrees)
beta_min= 15.2                                  //Minimum blade pitch angle for constant speed prop, (degrees)
min_gov_rpm=       1900                         //Miminum governed RPM
prop_tc= 0.1                                    //Prop time-constant
gear_reduction_ratio= 1.0                       //Propeller gear reduction ratio
fixed_pitch_beta= 0.0                           //Fixed pitch angle of fixed pitch prop, (degrees)
low_speed_theory_limit= 80.0                    //Speed at which low speed theory becomes blended in (feet/second)
prop_sync_available= 1                          //Prop synchronization available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
prop_deice_available= 1                         //Prop de-icing available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
prop_feathering_available= 1                    //Prop feathering available?  0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
prop_auto_feathering_available= 0               //Prop auto-feathering available?  0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
min_rpm_for_feather=                1000        //Minimum RPM for prop feathering                           700
beta_feather= 82.5                              //Feathering pitch angle (degrees)
power_absorbed_cf= 0.9                          //Coefficient of friction for power absorbed by propeller
defeathering_accumulators_available= 0          //Defeathering accumulators available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE 
prop_reverse_available= 0                       //Prop reverse available?  0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
minimum_on_ground_beta= 0.0                     //Miminum pitch angle on ground, (degrees)
minimum_reverse_beta= 0.0                       //Minimum pitch angle in reverse, (degrees)
propeller.0= 4, -1, -1
Propeller.1= 4,  1, -1

Thanks to Louis and Patrick for bringing this to my attention.

Greg

Greg Morin

Thank you so much for this conversion. I had another plane - in idle - on the RW and and exchanged it with a 500s TC. Works just fine. Seeing 188 kias level flight at 2000 feet (32 mp and 2400 rpm. Put it in a 1000fpm climb using the same mp and rpm, steady at 168 kias in the climb. 

Course with this turbo prop working now it would really be nice to hear that turbo sound. :Rose: :Rose: :smile:

I found the cause of the erratic behavior when doing a cold and dark start up. I changed the power scale to reflect the increase in horse power. It was that variable that causes the problem. Any change in the power scale will cause a disastrous start. The turbo charger and thrust scale changes are fine. I was getting 198 KIAS at sea level 32" MP and 2400 rpm. Using just the turbo charger and thrust scale changes, I am getting 186 KIAS at 32" and 2400 rpm at sea level.

I was starting up after Cold & Dark with your original settings in Aircraft.CFG with no trouble. I don't follow you very well when you say "a disastrous start". The only thing I noted is way too much power. Could you please elaborate a little bit more on what would be a disastrous start?.

Thanks, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Ed,

After starting the left engine, the aircraft started tumbling end over end causing excessive negative G forces and a red out. It is interesting that this is the only Carenado aircraft that I changed the power scale and had this effect.

Ken,

It is now turbo charged not a turbine.

Martin,

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Morin

Ed,

After starting the left engine, the aircraft started tumbling end over end causing excessive negative G forces and a red out. It is interesting that this is the only Carenado aircraft that I changed the power scale and had this effect.

Ken,

It is now turbo charged not a turbine.

Martin,

Thanks,

Greg

Thanks, not mine, strange!. Probably is the pilot???

Cheers!

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Why would the fuel flow increase when leaning during climb to 16,000ft? I would think the PPH would decrease?

Thanks

Thanks Greg, man she goes like a jack rabbit now . Wonder what this conversion would cost in real life.