Sign in to follow this  
Ashatsea

Upgraded system to a i7 6700k and GTX 1080

I have been browsing the forum for a while and reading your advice on system builds and wanted to give feed back on your tips and information from mine.

I just built an i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro (decided to upgrade on it's own late at night. I guess as the PC's owner I don't have a say :smile: ) and 32GB of G.Skill ram. The improvements in Prepar3d v3.3 are absolutely mind blowing. With a fresh install no add on's I saw an average of 100 FPS ground/air. I loaded up the new Aerosoft's Frankfurt, Prepar3d Sliders midway to high, HIFI, ASN, PMDG 777, ORBX Global and Vector and was getting an average FPS of 60-70.  I could have never hoped in my life I would see results like this with all the additional add ons running. Been simming for over 20 years and 6 personal builds and never seen a speed increase like this before. I was expecting to have to go into the high heat range to get these results. I am not a professional computer wiz or hold a certification just my two cents and probably late to the party of smoothness.

Thank you to all the informative posts and information in the forum!

Ash, your build is very similar to mine but I have a Zotac Amp! Extreme 980Ti and I share your sentiments on the performance of this component setup.

My machine is absolutely easily going through everything I throw at it at 4k and ultra settings.

GTA V and Tom Clancey's 'The Division' must be seen to be believed at 4k..

Congrats on the new rig and enjoy!

Don't do it. Be patent. You will only twist your extremely flexible, rubber-like legs backwards and kick you self in the gluteus maximus if you do. That will be when the non-reference cards with their superior overclocks and awesome coolers, not to mention top-notch VRM's are available.

Non-reference cards aren't overclocking any better than FE cards at this point in time, and the only way they ever will is if someone cracks the Pascal VBIOS and is able to workaround the power limits Nvidia has set.  I have a 1070 Gaming X from MSI, a full-custom card and it can only hit 2050MHz on the core, same as all the FE 1070 reviews.  The same situation is true with 1080s.  

My previous setup was a EVGA GTX 970, Intel 2700k, 16GB of DDDR3 RAM, MSI motherboard, Win 7 home, and FSX SP2. This is a first time for me running Prepar3D and one the reasons I'm going slow turning the sliders to the right and updating you guys. Meaning I am new to the program and am still trying to figure it out. I flew the 777-300 from Memphis to Frankfurt today my average FPS was in the 50-60 (Huge weather cell off the east coast and around Germany might of had to do with the loss of FPS). My 1080 is a founders edition and from everything I have heard I would wait for the next version. I work in the maritime community driving large ships so I am always on borrowed time when my feet are on dry land. My resolution is 1920x1080x32 and the refresh is 60hz. I am going to tweak my Nvidia inspector setting next flight will get back to you on that. Like I said I have not started pushing my system yet but running P3d stock with no addons I was getting in the 100's and with all my addons PMDG, FTX Global, FTX Vector, FS Global 2010, Frankfurt, and HIFI ASN I am working in the 60-70's and like you said the more clouds and moving vehicles will play a factor.

...My resolution is 1920x1080x32 and the refresh is 60hz. I am going to tweak my Nvidia inspector setting next flight will get back to you on that. Like I said I have not started pushing my system yet but running P3d stock with no addons I was getting in the 100's and with all my addons PMDG, FTX Global, FTX Vector, FS Global 2010, Frankfurt, and HIFI ASN I am working in the 60-70's and like you said the more clouds and moving vehicles will play a factor.

And film at 11?

..still waiting for that YouTube vid

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Non-reference cards aren't overclocking any better than FE cards at this point in time, and the only way they ever will is if someone cracks the Pascal VBIOS and is able to workaround the power limits Nvidia has set. I have a 1070 Gaming X from MSI, a full-custom card and it can only hit 2050MHz on the core, same as all the FE 1070 reviews. The same situation is true with 1080s.

True enough Max, can't argue with that. But something like a non-reference EVGA card with it's ACX 3.0 cooler will be cooler and quieter for a given overclock. Personaly, I wouldn't go for a reference (FE) card.

• Upvote 1

I have a 1070 Gaming X from MSI

Are you happy with it?

I am on my 3rd week of waiting for an Asus GTX 1080 Strixx and slowly start to reconsider. The MSI 1070 would be available now and as I don' t own a 4k monitor yet the 1070 would be more than enough...

( I am currently on a new build, i7 6700k, but without GPU, which is not funny at all)

Regards, Perry

Are you happy with it?

I am on my 3rd week of waiting for an Asus GTX 1080 Strixx and slowly start to reconsider. The MSI 1070 would be available now and as I don' t own a 4k monitor yet the 1070 would be more than enough...

( I am currently on a new build, i7 6700k, but without GPU, which is not funny at all)

Have you tried this site ?

https://www.komplett.dk/search?q=gtx+1080

Maybe they will ship to you

Sorry only std editions

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Are you happy with it?

It's hard for me to answer that because I'm a very special case.  Prior to this card I owned a 980 Ti which was volt-modded and overclocked on water so it was an extremely good performer.  The 1070 without its power limits increased via modded VBIOS is just a little bit slower so for me this is technically a downgrade, but only by a few percent.  I hope that someone cracks the Pascal VBIOS by the time I water cool this one so I can get a better overclock and then it would actually be even or slightly ahead, and with significantly less power consumption and more VRAM so that's worth it in my book.

I'm guessing you're not in the same situation though so from that perspective it's a fantastic card, even with the stock cooler.  A bit overpriced right now though given the stock levels @ various retailers.  I bought my card early last week @ Micro Center and I needed to stop in yesterday and just happened to see someone picking up the same card.  Last week I bought it for $469 and it was overpriced then.  Looks like they're scalping even worse now because it's up to $489.  Newegg has it at $459 (out of stock) which according to the only place on the net I've been able to locate an allegged MSRP for this card is actually not overpriced https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1070_Gaming_X/  However, I remember this card being priced as low as $429 at one point for pre-order so it's pretty obvious they've been adjusting prices upwards during this high demand/low availability period.  

On that note, I'm very disappointed by both availability and pricing of cards for this launch, it's the worst I've ever seen and I've been buying video cards since the 90s (hence why I often say video card instead of the more current "graphics card").  We really need AMD to step up and release some competitive offerings at the high end of the market or this trend will become the standard from now on, I'm afraid.

Enough of a rant from me, here's a summary in easy to read pro/con format.

Pros: 

-fast (previous generation high-end performance for a good amount less money)

-low power consumption

-great stock cooling solution

Cons:

-low availability/overpriced compared to MSRP

-doesn't overclock very well since the stock boost is already very high

On that note, I'm very disappointed by both availability and pricing of cards for this launch,

Thanks for you review of the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X.

I am also not pleased with this launch. I spoke to the dealer I ordered the Asus Strixx 1080 from and he told me that smaller dealers only get 1 or 2 cards, the bigger ones maybe 10-20 with each shipment. Only the founders editions or standard cards are somewhat available.

Regards, Perry

Sorry if I am abusing this thread, but I am about to turn my back on the 1080 craziness with high surcharges and long waiting times.

@OC3D they say the MSI 1070 Gaming X is so close to the performance of the 1080 in game and actually recommend it.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/msi_gtx1070_gaming_x_review/20

-fast (previous generation high-end performance for a good amount less money)

What is your experience in P3D, is it possible to fly smoothly in P3D in 4k with your MSI 1070?

Regards, Perry

I had posted this in another thread, but not so sure how many saw it. If you are looking for one of the new cards and want to know who has them in stock, then go to this site: http://www.nowinstock.net/

Just register there (totally free) and receive updates minute by minute as to who has which card in stock.

Keeping a careful eye on Newegg via this sites alerts got me my Strix 1080 within minutes of it becoming available, and its interesting following an alert and seeing an item available, and then out of stock 15 minutes later. Other people are using this service!!!  :wink:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If you are looking for one of the new cards and want to know who has them in stock, then go to this site: http://www.nowinstock.net/

Thanks for the tip! I was able to peorder one on Amazon that should ship on Monday, yey! On the other hand the additional shipping and tax adds up and makes this an expensive choice.

Regards, Perry

6700K and 1080 is the best setup for P3D right now.

Thanks for the tip! I was able to peorder one on Amazon that should ship on Monday, yey! On the other hand the additional shipping and tax adds up and makes this an expensive choice.

Amazon and Ebay are the most expensive choices at the moment because the cards are being sold by scalpers who are buying them up and reselling, usually at exorbitant markups. I purchased from Newegg instead.

Availability there can change literally by the minute.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5