Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

A HONEST view on how P3Dv3 performs...

I get a feeling I'll get flamed, but here it goes:

As of v3.3 I've been running unlimited in P3D + vsync on and nothing else (my monitor is 60hz). Settings are custom, but nothing extremely high, my GTX980 is not being overloaded (settings matched) and 6700K is overclocked to 4.8.

I often get 60fps (often even on the ground and especially in the air, and that with the NGX), which produces extremely smooth movement. Constant 60fps is not possible (yet), but my FPS are always higher than 30, almost never below.

I stopped looking at the shift+z, as when the FPS drop (extreme clouding for instance, and there is no NI AA) I can really feel that (usually somewhere around 25fps, if it's really bad).

In any case, I can't identify any blurries, like...ever.

This is almost identical to my setup AND my experience in P3D v3.3.5. My processor is I7 4.8Ghz and GPU GTX970. 60+ FPS with TrackIR and ASN. 15-25 FPS Orbx SoCal and VRS Superbug.

P3D still needs loads of processor in urban areas and a modern mid to high end graphics card.

(one last edit :-) ) I have FSX-SE and P3D on the same computer with virtually identical add-on loads. P3D performs at least 30-50% better FPS wise in an apples to apples scenario comparison.

In P3D I set unlimited fps and my monitor's refresh at 30Hz. Do I still need to limit 30fps in NI?

Thanks,

Dirk.

If you have 30Hz refresh monitor, set Unlimited and VSync On and that will steer the output to 30fps, no need to limit in NI then.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I have been saying this for almost a decade. There is a bottleneck somewhere between 4.5 and 4.8 ghz in the esp architecture.

It may not be a fsx p3d issue. But a window fiber management issue i once believed they would fix with windows 10 and offer in dx upgrades.

If you have 30Hz refresh monitor, set Unlimited and VSync On and that will steer the output to 30fps, no need to limit in NI then.

While my NEC monitor is 100Hz normally I can set it to 30Hz with nVidia Control panel (I checked the overlay, indeed it becomes 30Hz). I've always used your fps analysis and settings suggestions in FSX-SE and P3D, they are the best, at least to my specific hardware. 

Many thanks,

Dirk.

I have been saying this for almost a decade. There is a bottleneck somewhere between 4.5 and 4.8 ghz in the esp architecture.It may not be a fsx p3d issue. But a window fiber management issue i once believed they would fix with windows 10 and offer in dx upgrades.

Could you elaborate on that? Curious. Sorry I haven't been here a decade yet.

P3Dv3 runs pretty good, until you throw in AA and heavy cloud coverage into the mix, the it runs like a DOG. Mind you, it has gotten better but I keep reverting back to fsx for better "weather performance". Each to his own I guess.

Cheers!/Andreas

P3D suffers from the same AA problems as FSX DX10. DX10 and DX11 AA is done in a different way to DX9 to help improve performance within the renderer, but means more work at the AA stage and a tighter adherence to scale within the model structure. This shows up with some aircraft and scenery looking poorly AA'd whatever MSAA setting unless heavy lifting AA is performed with SSAA in the GPU setup for example Sparse Grid AA in NI. Overall DX10 and DX11 come out 20%+ better performing than DX9 for a similar scene but with less options for AA.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Very well summarized, Steve! As a compromise, I use 2xSGSS in NI, which is not too hard on fps but eliminates the worst shimmerings.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR