Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Payware aircraft gathering dust

I just did a survey of all the aircraft in my virtual hanger. I found that I have (4) that are payware that I have not flown in a long time.Dreamfleet Archer - This is a very good aircraft in terms of the visuals and the flight model, but it is so slow, I just don't use it anymore. Blame it on the new A-36, it does everything I need in a single GA planeFSD Aerostar - FSD did a good job on this aircraft, but I find it awkward to fly - the engine gauges are on the right side of the panel, the autopilot is quirky, and it just looks a bit strange (so does the real aircraft!)FSD Commander - I had a lot of problems loading repaints to this aircraft, but I finally solved the problem. By then, I already had the A-36, and there just wasn't anything in the Commander to bring me back.Aeroworx Premier - I only got this plane because it came with the Beech 400A. To me, it looks like a flying dolphin. It flys well, but the panel is a bit hard to read and I find I would rather fly the Beech 400 or the Cessna Citation II.So there you have it. All of these are decent planes and may be some of your favorites, but they just don't get out of the hanger for me.So, what gathers dust and cobwebs in your hangers?Dale

Dale

>Aeroworx Premier - I only got this plane because it came with>the Beech 400A. To me, it looks like a flying dolphin. It flys>well, but the panel is a bit hard to read and I find I would>rather fly the Beech 400 or the Cessna Citation II.I'm sure that you meant to type "Eaglesoft Premier," right? ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Actually, my Flight1 Cessna 172 and my turboprops are collecting more dust than I expected. The Cessna, just because I tend to fly more commercial planes lately and the turboprops are inactive, because I haven't had time to read the manuals. ;-)And yet, I am still looking to add new planes...

I always seem to have more aircraft than time. Most of my aircraft end up sitting idle for long periods of time, with a select few being active.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest beana51

Hi Dale,Oh yes the hanger is full.The Hanger Queens are gathering dust.Every once in a while I gotta blow the dust off of them. Some days the War birds come out to to celebrate a special day ,or to reminisce a different time.Just like gong to an air museum. Of course they are all great.Not enough money in the world to own them in real life,and for many,true also on the sim. Maby thats why I stay with what I have managed with till now.On the Sim,like all the great line captains out there,I do what I always did in the air.That is have lots of fun,getting there.You mention the Archer,yes a good one.You could have alluded to the C-172,C-152, Cherokees,Cubs and other GA Aircraft, which are most popular at airports world over.I still take of with the Archer on all my flights. A solid, honest ,no surprises,reliable,no mombo-jombo, start up, safe,affordable, and one of the best for the common man and his family.Same for the "Hawks"Sometimes I gotta buy a ticket on the airlines to get there.Once I do,however,its SEL,VFR,flying with finger on chart, in my lap. "LESS WORK MORE FUN" VIN

My top hangar queen is the F1 ATR cos I've never worked out how to land the bloody thing properly. I end up just floating off down the runway and into the sunset. I never get the DF Archer out anymore because it reminds me that I had to give up flying lessons.The PMDG 737s were pensioned off ages ago to make way for bigger Boeings. And Boeings to come.. The RealAir Spit doesn't get as much use as it should.And I've just remembered the LAGO Tornado and Twin Otter. They've both been sent to museums.Ian

Guest Debosonic

For me there are lots of dusty aircraft in my hangar:The PSS Airbusses, The CS 727, The SSW A310, The RFP 747-200, THe YAk 40 SCDS, The CS yak 3, F-104 the F1 Piper Meridian, The F1 Dc9, The lago MD80s, the F1 ATR-72,The feelthere ERJ 145, The Majestic Dash8, The MAAM DC3, PMDG 737 series, The CS 707, The DF A36,THe mi-17 and Mi-2 choppers from Nemeth, the Aerosoft A10 and sh60 chopper, The eaglesoft hawker 400 xp, The PSS VULCAN, The carenado C182RG, The F1 C152, the PSS CONCORDE, the IGFLY Tu-154M, the horrible Wilco A380, and the eve worse perfect flight L1011 and the great realair spitfire...Lots of these are permanently grounded, some are not airworthy at all. A few of these do get some flying however on occasion.I only have the DF 727, the PMDG 747-400, the CS C130, the pilot SR71, the Aerosim L1011, the Eaglesoft Cirrus and CJ1 the LDS 767-300in active service these days. Our fleet is also getting some new B777-200LRs from PSS and maybe the Mi24 from Nemeth.

I think anyone with several years of FS history has more than a few.In my case it's dozens (literally), collected over the last 6 years (has it really been that long?).Interests change, some I got as freebies for helping in betas but never really interested me that much, others are just superseded by other models (like indeed the Archer, which has been replaced long since by the DF Cardinal in my main fleet, an aircraft which itself doesn't get as much attention as it maybe should), etc. etc.

Guest cleetus vandamm

All my modern military related jets. as much as i may love the real thing, you can only buzz the tower so many times before it gets boring. I leave them to combat sims and fly general aviation in FS. as beana51 said, its VFR no autopilot for me.

I have also many payware aircraft gathering dust, like you say so well.It's for that reason I decided to try more freeware and since I did find out that there are many very good freeware planes out there (it's true, none has an FMC). As one can fly only one plane at once, many of the freeware also gather dust now, but at least I didn't spend money for them.Guy

Guest Calb

Not one. That's because refuse to purchase payware.Cal (CYXX)(sorry, no brag list)

>I'm sure that you meant to type "Eaglesoft Premier,">right? ;)I told you I haven't flown these in a long time! (LOL)Of course, you are correct - it was the Eaglesoft Premier.Dale

Dale

>My top hangar queen is the F1 ATR cos I've never worked out>how to land the bloody thing properly. I end up just floating>off down the runway and into the sunset. >>I never get the DF Archer out anymore because it reminds me>that I had to give up flying lessons.>>The PMDG 737s were pensioned off ages ago to make way for>bigger Boeings. And Boeings to come.. >>The RealAir Spit doesn't get as much use as it should.>>And I've just remembered the LAGO Tornado and Twin Otter.>They've both been sent to museums.>>Ian>> How to land the ATR (hand flying). When you hit the glide slope. your speed should be 120 kts. and the Torque should be at 8 (28% power). 30 degree flap. Gear down. Over the numbers, throttle to zero and flare to put it down.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I just noticed that I only have three freeware planes in my hangar. I love freeware, but I seem to only fly payware and some of it is collecting dust.FSCharter TurboCommander (what a mistake)PMDG 747 (too d*mn hard on FPS)CS727 DF CardinalDF ArcherF1 Meridian (over the last three years I've had to reinstall so many times they won't let me reinstall and it's buggy again)ESDG PremierPSS A320PSS Dash8Every MS Stock aircraft (technically since I paid for FS2004 they're paware)best

I have no payware anything gathering dust as I have not purchased any 3rd party addons...After trying a freeware whatever, if it doesnt perform well its the trash bin pronto! And no love lost or hard feelings.I have one or two excellent freeware airplanes that do what I want. And the same for scenery...Nothing against payware developers. From what I read most seem to do excellent work like FSUIPC, active sky etc... I do donate to freeware projects when I can.Bill