Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Payware aircraft gathering dust

This thread makes baby ******* cry. I'm surprised so many people buy practically every add on out there, but abandon them so fast.Sure I have payware I no longer use, but mostly for reasons related to the add on quality or whatever.I can't believe so many mentioned the F1 ATR. It's a wonderful aircraft and landing it just takes practice. I found that going too fast and trying to flare as much as I would in other planes made it tough at first. If you look in the manual, the Vref speeds are pretty low, and 100 to 110 is not an uncommon a speed to land (pp. 388). I also, found that just cutting the throttle (e.g., 30 feet AGL) and letting the plane set down on the runway was the best approach. Try it!F1 Meridian. Not sure why people think they can't reinstall it. Just get a new key from F1 and you can reinstall no problems. It's all automated from their customer support page, no waiting for people to respond. It's always worked extremely well for me, and that's on 3 different computers now, so I'm not sure what the issue is. It handles very well and is a great plane.I get the feeling some here are put off by the complexity of these payware planes, but that's the idea. You want something easy, then fly freeware. It aggravates me when people complain about the complex add ons. Look at what your buying before you actually buy it!

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest seev_39

Hey guys, did you forget we are a consumer society? You must see what my Lady and daughters bought in the mall and never put on for a second timeHave funhttp://www.sk-flightsim.com/

>This thread makes baby ******* cry. I'm surprised so many>people buy practically every add on out there, but abandon>them so fast.I have plenty of dusty payware planes (gobs in fact), but I use the "movie rationalization" to assuage my ego... if I use a plane for 2-4 hours and it costs the same or less than going to a movie and all those associated costs, I'm generally okay with it. (if it is/was a particularly expensive plane, I of course have to add in the "cost of gas getting to the movie rationalization" (patent pending) *grin*)

Guest Knikolaes

I try to rotate regularly, and fly all my AC. However dust does collect as it waits for it's turn -- http://guildofdarkhaven.org/flying/reviews_aircraft.htm are a few of the aircraft I have qued for reviews that I need to dust off. Sure as heck not listing them all here -- sitting in college class at the moment LOL. On that list is about a third of the payware AC I have installed - but these are the only ones worth a review.

Guest Knikolaes

>This thread makes baby ******* cry. I'm surprised so many>people buy practically every add on out there, but abandon>them so fast.>>Sure I have payware I no longer use, but mostly for reasons>related to the add on quality or whatever.I agree with the quality bit.>F1 Meridian. Not sure why people think they can't reinstall>it. Just get a new key from F1 and you can reinstall no>problems. It's all automated from their customer support>page, no waiting for people to respond. It's always worked>extremely well for me, and that's on 3 different computers>now, so I'm not sure what the issue is. It handles very well>and is a great plane.If it can't be reinstalled - it's probably a hacked and illegal copy :-( Reactivating and reinstalling a legally bought product from Flight1 is so easy it's my favorite way to buy software. I love the Flight1 Wrapper. Makes it VERY easy for me to reinstall during my monthly reformat of windows.>I get the feeling some here are put off by the complexity of>these payware planes, but that's the idea. You want something>easy, then fly freeware. It aggravates me when people>complain about the complex add ons. Look at what your buying>before you actually buy it! **shrugs** Because people want aircraft with full autoflight systems that will do the whole flight for them . . . must be Airbus pilots **giggles**Now an add-on with a bunch of bugs, that's a different story . . .

Guest ThrottleUp

-----------------------------------------------I get the feeling some here are put off by the complexity of these payware planes, but that's the idea. You want something easy, then fly freeware. It aggravates me when people complain about the complex add ons.-----------------------------------------------Im one of those who mentioned the F1ATR gathering dust. I am not insterested in complex systems-simulation or ultra-realistic airplanes for flight sim. I fly the PMDG 737 a lot - but I bought it for the visual model, its complex panel has been deleted and I use a super-simple freeware one. I got the F1 ATR to get a good visual model of the ATR - its panel also got scrubbed after installation. I can fly the ATR and land it...its just that I dont fly propjets much (well..hardly actually) so yes..my purchase of that plane was hasty heh heh. Pure jets from now on! :)

Guest bobsk8

I flew the PMDG 737 and the Flight 1 ATR for a long while and got pretty good on both aircraft. I then bought Misty Fjords and started flying only GA aircraft, all around the Alaska.At that point, I got hooked on Vatsim and needed an aircraft that I could fly mostly IFR, so back to the ATR-72. Then I joined a VA, UPSVAC, and they had very few ATR flights available. I needed something bigger and faster than the ATR, so I bought the Level D 767, and since then, the 767 is the only aircraft I fly. All the others, which are under my signature, are in storage. The 767 has really spoiled me for flying anything else.

I don't have that many payware planes, but from the ones I do have the Premier made by Eaglesoft is gathering dust. If this plane did not come with the Beechjet 400 I would not have gotten it. They did a very nice job on the outside visual model, but the flight dynamics do not feel like a payware product. Plus Im not a big fan of the over all look of the (real) plane.Planes I do fly alot are the PMDG 737's, Eaglesoft's Citation X, Eaglesoft's Beechjet 400, and Aeroworx's King Air.

Guest Armstrang

I go through stages. Right now, I am using the GA a lot, and the big iron is in mothballs. The Eaglesoft Premier I was in mothballs for a very long time. Then, one day I got a wild hair and stuck the RXP JL4 and a couple of GPS's in it. It is now one of my favorite biz jets.I have taken to recording trips for each plane on a seperate piece of paper. That way, I can keep track of which planes I use and make an effort to give them all some attention. I can also keep track of where each one landed last, so as to keep the continuity of the trips going.What a fun thing, this simming!

Guest Mr. T

I have not bought a ton of payware and I use most of what I have. Since I have become hooked on FS Economy I don't use my military choppers like the Alphasim Seaking, Lynx, or the Aerosoft SH-60.

Planes in long term storage:DF 727F1 Cessna 441Planes in need of a D check due to overuse:PSS 777LDS 767Planes still far away from a D check but still used:PMDG 747PMDG 737Planes I want out of the factory and in my hangar:PSS 757LDS 757Planes that I wish someone would design:A high quality full package spectrum A320

Eric 

Interesting thread!I have as many as anyone here in mothballs, although sometimes I bring them out for a "dusting". I get so frustrated with myself in my sense of realism- in that a real professional pilot would be rated only on one type concurrently- that I find it hard to jump around different types. Bummer.I recall FS5.0, when I first became interested in simming during a hiatus in my flight training. We had 4 aircraft (I think that's right), no scenery- addons (payware of freeware) were almost unheard of. There was no mechanism to add anything to the 4 stock planes. A C172, 182, Lear and B737-400, as I recall. We were just happy to pick one and fly in a no-scenery world (I think the US had 6 airports, all however were just bare runways with some very simple buildings, as I recall).With no eye candy, no choices of what to buy- it was just flying. Progress, I guess......Bruce.

Guest neilb

PSS AirbusPSS 777 (Barely used it since I can roll the thing with a flick of my wrist)There the only ones :)I use the PMDG 744 so often its not even funny.

Guest Knikolaes

>Planes in long term storage:>>DF 727>F1 Cessna 441>>Planes in need of a D check due to overuse:>>PSS 777>LDS 767>>Planes still far away from a D check but still used:>>PMDG 747>PMDG 737>>Planes I want out of the factory and in my hangar:>>PSS 757>LDS 757>>Planes that I wish someone would design:>>A high quality full package spectrum A320I have a LOT more add-ons in my hanger than that collecting dust, but on the "need a D check" and "working on getting close to a D check" I totally agree, and I am DEFINATELY hot on agreeance with wanting those 757's as well!!!

Guest martin842

I have no freeware, and only one payware, the Flight1 ATR 72, which I think is a superb aircraft, and easier to fly manually than the default Cessna 172.I am a bit surprised at how many have mentioned the PMDG 744 as gathering dust - are folks giving up too easily on things?Martin