Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

One last time...

It's been over a month now and I am going to give P3D/Orbx one more shot.  I have FS2004 pretty much where I want it now so I am ready to try Orbx once again.

This time I'm doing it differently.  Instead of reinstalling from my backup files I am going download each scenery fresh from the Flightsim Store.  I figure I can download one or two regions overnight and install them in the morning and check them out.  If all goes well I'll download another one or two.  I own them all except the new LCNA.  I'll hold off on buying that until I have everything else up and working.

Not getting greedy this time around.  Just sticking to North America.

Wish me luck.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Good luck.  I'm still on the fence about purchasing OLC NA, Northern CA, and Southern CA to go with my FTX Global or just purchase all photoscenery.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Not sure what you mean by backup files, are these the previous install just copied over?

If so that you should install from the installers.

Yes, go get the most recent quad installers, check to see if there are small update files as well on their support pages as a few have small updates available.

Organize yourself, keep track of what you have installed and not installed. 

Install one item at a time, run the libraries and then check it out to see if everything is OK.

Then install the next item.

Start with anything Global, then do Regions, then do airports, then do the freeware stuff.

If you have Vector you will need to run their AEC tool after each airport install just to be sure. If you have Palm Springs you need to use the AEC tool and specifically disable the it manually using the tool.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

My backups are backup installation files.  But some of them are still FSX instead of P3D.  So I thought I'd just download all fresh ones.

I'm doing the regions first since I'm still ambivalent about Global and Vector.  It was global that gave me the texture problems that caused me to uninstall it all go back to FS2004 in the first place.  Even reinstalls couldn't remove the dense forest from the floor of Death Valley.  We'll see how it goes this time.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I figure I can download one or two regions overnight and install them in the morning and check them out. If all goes well I'll download another one or two. I own them all except the new LCNA.

Take note that the OLC addons (I do suppose LCNA stands for OpenLC NA) are NOT regions. Do not confuse those. You either use regions or you use Global together with OpenLC and (if you want to) Vector. Completely different products. Regions are the best way to go btw because they contain 'all you need' in one package and in far greater detail and quality than Global + OpenLC + Vector will ever offer. And both OpenLC and Vector require Global to be installed.

Personally I would never ever use backups whenever I do a reinstall. I ALWAYS download ALL installers fresh from the site and install only those. Using older installers is a bad idea and using old backups is a far worse idea imho.

I understand what everything is, Jeroen, and how it fits together.

At this point in time I am just installing the Regions for North America.  If that goes well I will consider adding Global, Vector and OpenLC to cover the rest of North America...or not.

I did have everything installed until I uninstalled everything out of frustration of not being able to solve a problem I had at the end of June.

Noel

Be advised that some people seem to have run into trouble* when they installed regions without having Global.

If you already have Global anyway, it may be better to install that first, as the "general background", so to speak, and then add the more "specific" OLCs and regions later as required.

Good Luck!

the Fiddler

* I don't remember how severe, though; and it may have been solved by now.

Well, I've got al the regions installed now and it looks good without Global.  The regions came before Global was introduced and they worked fine.  I don't see why they wouldn't now.

What about reports of OLCNA?  Since I don't have access to the Orbx forums I was wondering if there have been any problems or if it is running smoothly.  Any reports good or bad?

Noel

Well, I've got al the regions installed now and it looks good without Global.  The regions came before Global was introduced and they worked fine.  I don't see why they wouldn't now.

What about reports of OLCNA?  Since I don't have access to the Orbx forums I was wondering if there have been any problems or if it is running smoothly.  Any reports good or bad?

Noel

It ruined my install, so for now it was a waste of money.  Pretty irritated.  Things looked ok with FTX Global at least despite minor displacements of textures.  Now I have trees on airports, completely displaced textures and other problems.  No help on ORBx forum either.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

No help on ORBx forum either.

I see that you had posted your issue 8 hours ago  at the ftx forum maybe  give them some  time to actually  see your post, and the way you had  posted  it user think  that you didn't  get any help

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I see that you had posted your issue 8 hours ago  at the ftx forum maybe  give them some  time to actually  see your post

Well I've seen a few others like it unanswered.  Not getting my hopes up. 

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I have OLC NA installed, have also the latest (famous) libraries installed and have no issues at all. I did a couple of flights in Colorado, Mexico and Arizona and love it

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Well I e-mailed my guru Sue and she told me it installed easily and looks great.  She warned me to unzip all four files into a common folder and then install.  She said most of the problems come from trying to install each section one at a time.

I purchased it last night before I went to bed and this morning they are all present so I will be installing it and let you know how it worked out.

Noel

Think  that  what you meant  to do with any more  than 1 file  to place them in a folder  and than unzip  since  they look  for  each  of  the files  to install

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yes, I unzipped each zip file into a common folder and then installed.  Unwrapping took a little over 4 minutes and installation a bit over 12 minutes.

After the installation I went to Sierra Blanca airport (about 70 miles west of Roswell NM) to examine the results in a familiar area.  I followed the highway from south Capitan over the hill to Ruidoso.  Then Highway 70 over the pass to Tularosa, Alamogordo, and across the south end of Holloman AFB and White Sands and over the next mountain to Las Cruces.  Magnificent!  I recognized almost everything.  I am also using Pilots Ultimate Mesh for The Americas so Sierra Blanca stood out quite well. 

If I have any criticism at all it is of Global (I guess) instead of OLCNA.  Lake Lucero at the west end of White Sands is full of water in P3D/Orbx.  In reality it is a dry lake and the source of the white sand the winds blow east to produce the white dunes at White Sands National Monument.  I've hikes across the dunes several times to see it.

But all in all I have to give OLCNA an A+.

Noel