Sign in to follow this  
Djembe

VoxATC 7 Beta bugs

At one point some people were complaining that there was no visible general aviation AI traffic. I forgot about this issue since I've been flying with the XP 11 beta. Now I'm back using P3d V3, so I thought that I'd check on this again. What I did to work around this was to assume that VOXATC didn't spawn any VFR AI aircraft, so I just set the VFR slider in P3d to a small number like 5 or 10%. That gives on some My Traffic general aviation aircraft and little chance of collisions with commercial AI.

But on to the issue. I ended up having a problem with a malformed airport BGL file and VOXATC was generating its notorious ***FATAL ERROR*** message. I figured that out but after reviewing the VOXATC err.log, As an aside, I also discovered these lines at the beginning of every VOXATC session:

Log Start 3/31/2017 8:22:15 PM

No FS Type found = Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint1
No FS Type found = Cessna Grand Caravan Paint1
No FS Type found = Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint2
No FS Type found = Mooney Bravo
No FS Type found = Beech King Air 350 Paint1
No FS Type found = Learjet 45
No FS Type found = Boeing 737-800 Paint1
No FS Type found = Beech Baron 58 Paint1
No FS Type found = Boeing 747-400 Paint1

Those aircraft and paints do indeed exist in P3d and can be used in traffic BGL files.  My guess is that VOXATC is looking in the wrong folder for these items. I also have FSX-SE installed and those aircraft are present there also, so that's not the destination folder that VOXATC is looking for. Anyway, that may have nothing to do with the lack of GA AI traffic, but I thought that it was interesting.

10 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

At one point some people were complaining that there was no visible general aviation AI traffic. I forgot about this issue since I've been flying with the XP 11 beta. Now I'm back using P3d V3, so I thought that I'd check on this again. What I did to work around this was to assume that VOXATC didn't spawn any VFR AI aircraft, so I just set the VFR slider in P3d to a small number like 5 or 10%. That gives on some My Traffic general aviation aircraft and little chance of collisions with commercial AI.

But on to the issue. I ended up having a problem with a malformed airport BGL file and VOXATC was generating its notorious ***FATAL ERROR*** message. I figured that out but after reviewing the VOXATC err.log, As an aside, I also discovered these lines at the beginning of every VOXATC session:

Log Start 3/31/2017 8:22:15 PM

No FS Type found = Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint1
No FS Type found = Cessna Grand Caravan Paint1
No FS Type found = Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint2
No FS Type found = Mooney Bravo
No FS Type found = Beech King Air 350 Paint1
No FS Type found = Learjet 45
No FS Type found = Boeing 737-800 Paint1
No FS Type found = Beech Baron 58 Paint1
No FS Type found = Boeing 747-400 Paint1

Those aircraft and paints do indeed exist in P3d and can be used in traffic BGL files.  My guess is that VOXATC is looking in the wrong folder for these items. I also have FSX-SE installed and those aircraft are present there also, so that's not the destination folder that VOXATC is looking for. Anyway, that may have nothing to do with the lack of GA AI traffic, but I thought that it was interesting.

Jay

I dont know if its relevant but I reported fairly early on in the beta that I was only getting Mooneys generated.  With 7.2 l started getting other a/c as well.  I'll try to do another video at a GA airfield to demo what I see.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Last time I ran with 7.2 I was getting only 1 paint of each type of AC. Such as, 1 paint of a C172 and 1 paint of a twin. So, it was very obviously repetitive. Of course, I reported this to Tegwyn, with no response. I also remember reporting that, in the 1st beta, that there was only 1 type of 1 paint being spawned. So, he changed something in 7,2 to address the issue, but not enough to completely fix it.

I'm back to 6.52, mostly due to the myriad of issues in 7.2 when flying GA, which I do almost exclusively. The absolute show-stopper is that you never get handed-off to your destination field. I know you can ask for a frequency change and just go expert mode from there, but it's not the same. That's a no-go for me.

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

2 hours ago, jaybird1nyc said:

Last time I ran with 7.2 I was getting only 1 paint of each type of AC. Such as, 1 paint of a C172 and 1 paint of a twin. So, it was very obviously repetitive. Of course, I reported this to Tegwyn, with no response. I also remember reporting that, in the 1st beta, that there was only 1 type of 1 paint being spawned. So, he changed something in 7,2 to address the issue, but not enough to completely fix it.

I'm back to 6.52, mostly due to the myriad of issues in 7.2 when flying GA, which I do almost exclusively. The absolute show-stopper is that you never get handed-off to your destination field. I know you can ask for a frequency change and just go expert mode from there, but it's not the same. That's a no-go for me.

Jay

My rw GA flying experience was that having passed VFR into uncontrolled airspace, it was always my duty to call my destination and if controlled, seek permission to enter that controlled airspace and if uncontrolled, announce my intentions on the A/G freq, most usually as an overhead join.  

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Yes, all of that is true, in the real world, but that's not how vox works. Vox has a flow and if you don't complete 'A' then it won't go to 'B'. EG, on a VFR flight plan, at some point it will tell you to contact "XYZ Radio" to open your flight plan. If you don't do that then vox won't give you any taxi info or permit you take the runway. You can, of course, but it messes up the flow. That's just an example of breaking the flow. In 6.52 you can complete a GA VFR flight, but it's broken in the beta. If you are never given the instruction to contact your destination field (towered), or to switch to advisory frequency (non-towered) then you don't get pattern entry instructions (towered), which means you never get landing clearance. At a non-towered field you don't ever get the pattern entry menu and basically it's just as if vox wasn't even there. Also, if I remember correctly, there isn't any AI activity either, but I'm not 100% sure. This is with a GA VFR flight plan.

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

I'm a new user to VOX, and I have been using the Beta for a few days now.  I noticed that planes have trouble parking at some airports.  For example, at aerosoft Dublin, some gates would cause issues for some planes while others parked fine the first try.  The problem aircraft would appear to park fine (there was plenty of room) but then would do a 360 turn out of the gate, taxi over the grass, turn back and try again multiple times, without success.  Finally after several tries, around 4+ it would shut down.  I'm using Mytraffic 6 planes and I ran the indexer.

Any thoughts on how to solve this or is it just a bug?

Another issue is planes landing on cross runways into each other.  I experienced this at Cork airport (default).  When the wind changed, the planes were landing right into each other on the same runway also.  Since there is no parallel taxiway at Cork with default scenery, the planes were taxiing up the runway for takeoff and other planes were taking off right through them in the opposite direction.  Very strange.

Also, I noticed planes going through buildings at Aerosoft Dublin.  This probably happens at other airports.

To be honest, I would have a hard time buying this product if I can't fix this issue.

This has been discussed previously. Although a bug in the Indexer  can't be ruled out, the issue appears to be related  in some way to how some 3rd party airports use exclusions to mask out the stock airport.

I would  also check to make sure that you don't have multiple  3rd party versions  of an airport installed. Keep in mind that MyT 6  comes with a whole bunch of updated airports. The two versions may be conflicting so you would have to rename the MyT 6  version from .BGL to something  else like .BGL.ORIG.

• Upvote 1

I had another problem tonight.  All landing traffic into KDCA Runway 1 (DD design Washington) take a turn-off into the grass instead of the taxiway and then are promptly deleted.  The departing planes all seem to follow the taxiways properly which is strange.   

I tried renaming the MYT file for KDCA and nothing changed.  The plane just misses the turn-off, taxied off into the grass and disappears.

This is my only KDCA add-on. 

1 hour ago, Heathrow to Dublin said:

Am I the only one who has these AI issues?  Can it be fixed please?  If not going to buy a product that has these issues with 3rd party airports. 

as jay said i think the first hurdle to overcome is multiple afcads on your system.

I dont experience problems like that, and if ai a/c are taxiing through buildings at a quality payware scenery then its likely the specific problem you have is down to your system..

cheers k

xaP1VAU.png

One way to check what's happening is to temporarily disable the scenery file in your library that contains the stock KDCA airport:

\scenery\0302\APX27180.BGL

This is not a solution as that file also contains dozens of other nearby stock airports.

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

One way to check what's happening is to temporarily disable the scenery file in your library that contains the stock KDCA airport:

\scenery\0302\APX27180.BGL

This is not a solution as that file also contains dozens of other nearby stock airports.

It didn't seem to solve the problem.  The planes still turns off into the grass (runway 1) and disappears.  An aircraft landing on the other runway taxied off the runway OK but took 3 tries to park at the gate.  That runway is not used much. 

5 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

as jay said i think the first hurdle to overcome is multiple afcads on your system.

I dont experience problems like that, and if ai a/c are taxiing through buildings at a quality payware scenery then its likely the specific problem you have is down to your system..

cheers k

How did you solve your issue in your youtube video?  The one with the AI off in the grass?

2 hours ago, Heathrow to Dublin said:

How did you solve your issue in your youtube video?  The one with the AI off in the grass?

i think that was with 7.1 iirc? it didnt seem to happen again.  part of the problem there may have been user error as I have 2 gloucester sceneries and I may have had both active then... (slap me I know- doh!)

xaP1VAU.png

36 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

i think that was with 7.1 iirc? it didnt seem to happen again.  part of the problem there may have been user error as I have 2 gloucester sceneries and I may have had both active then... (slap me I know- doh!)

Ah, ok.  Thanks for the explanation!