Now I know why people refer to "the good old days". You know, when we could expect 100%+ performance gains when buying a new PC :sad:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Now I know why people refer to "the good old days". You know, when we could expect 100%+ performance gains when buying a new PC :sad:

Which is primarily why I've held back from upgrading my CPU & MB for several cycles in a row.

Since I'm still on a 3570K as well, this slow, progressive climb upwards through each successive generation means that finally it *might* reach that threshold where the cost of upgrading is worth it for the cumulative increase in performance.

But I guess we'll see come the new year.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

In a well balanced system, no CPU or GPU botleneck, overclocking is linear. In other words if you overclock by 10% you get a 10% increase in frame rate.

You mean in a well balanced system where the CPU is the bottleneck... :wink: 

But it shouldn't be just that. Otherwise my 3570K at 4.6Ghz would perform the same as an 6700K at 4.6Ghz.

What I'm saying is, are we sure that 7700K@4.6Ghz and 6700K@4.6Ghz will perform the same?

Different CPU architectures and RAM speeds also affect the FPS. Here is how much they all perform relative to each other in FSX when you are CPU limited.

LynnfieldToSkylake.jpg?dl=0

You mean in a well balanced system where the CPU is the bottleneck...  :wink: 

It wouldn't be a well balanced system if the CPU was a bottleneck. As I said, in a well balanced system [no bottlenecks] overclocking is linear.  :smile:

You mean in a well balanced system where the CPU is the bottleneck... :wink:

Different CPU architectures and RAM speeds also affect the FPS. Here is how much they all perform relative to each other in FSX when you are CPU limited.

LynnfieldToSkylake.jpg?dl=0

Thats a great graph. Thanks for posting.

I think Kaby Lake my finally be the time to move from my well used 2600K

• Upvote 1

Remember that Broadwell is not in the graph so the actual IPC improvement going 2 generations from Haswell to Skylake is minor. But when you also factor in the move to DDR4 it gives a lot more performance improvement. And the memorycontroller in Skylake handles way higher DDR4 speeds than 2133.

IPC improvements Skylake to Kabylake will be very minor Probably less than SanyBridge to IvyBridge. If you run your CPU at stock speed 7700K will be a bit faster but overclockability might be what determines if it is any improvement as an upgrade over 6700K. If you're upgrading from a previous platform I suspect 7700K will be the best option. But suspect upgrading from 6700K is not going to be worth it. Unless its a very good overclocker.

Remember that Broadwell is not in the graph so the actual IPC improvement going 2 generations from Haswell to Skylake is minor. But when you also factor in the move to DDR4 it gives a lot more performance improvement. And the memorycontroller in Skylake handles way higher DDR4 speeds than 2133.

IPC improvements Skylake to Kabylake will be very minor Probably less than SanyBridge to IvyBridge. If you run your CPU at stock speed 7700K will be a bit faster but overclockability might be what determines if it is any improvement as an upgrade over 6700K. If you're upgrading from a previous platform I suspect 7700K will be the best option. But suspect upgrading from 6700K is not going to be worth it. Unless its a very good overclocker.

Saab340, think you ar spot on here , nice work with graph thanks

Thats a great graph. Thanks for posting.

I think Kaby Lake my finally be the time to move from my well used 2600K

Saab340, think you ar spot on here , nice work with graph thanks

Thanks,

Found this one I did a while ago that I don't think I've posted. To show the impact of RAM on my SandyBridge-E and Skylake.

RAMspeedandlatency.jpg?dl=0

SAAB340, thank you that's very interesting..So you conclude that the higher the RAM frequency the better.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

SAAB340, thank you that's very interesting..So you conclude that the higher the RAM frequency the better.

Yes. Higher frequency and tighter timings are beter. Westman has shown that as well in many great FSXmark11 tests . I posted quite a few results with different RAM speeds/timings when I built my Skylake build soon a year ago I think.

That's why Skylake with its good memorycontroller, IPC and overclockability is actually a worth while upgrade. Kaby lake will probably as well unless you're already on a Skylake. My SB-E only manages an overclock of 4.3GHz whilst the Skylake does 4.7. When you factor that and the RAM in the Skylake system gives me 45% higher FPS. That is a very notable improvement.

Katy Lake however won't introduce a much faster DDR4 memorycontroler as Skylake did. History shows that the IPC improvements will be very minor. The only variable left is overclockability, where as usual early indications are promising. Physics normally puts a damper on our hopes though. (Wouldn't surprise me if I still get a 7700K to play with though...=) Looking forward to seeing what Westman kan do with it when its released. 

I still prefer the SB-E system for photo scenery though as the extra cores still loads the ground textures faster despite the improvement in Single Thread performance that gives the much higher FPS. But boy does it irritate me every time I can't maintain my locked smooth 30FPS on the SB-E nowadays when I know I don't get that on the Skylake in the same situation.

That's a very good experiment you have done..cause someone can't trust gaming reviews and apply them to FSX-P3D. I want to upgrade asap, as I get at low 20s in heavy scenarios on my 3570K. I know that the 7700K will be better, but its difficult to wait for January..so I'm also thinking whether a Skylake upgrade now will be something I won't regret. I haven't heard people complain with the 6700K so maybe its not worth the wait for the 7700K. On the other hand the wise move would be to wait..If its to get 1-2 fps more though I don't think its something to regret. But as you said, overclock ability is something we don't know. Maybe in the end I'll stop thinking about that so much and hit the 6700K order button..

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link