Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Free Orbx Airports for $99 ?

I have been using the free airports packages for North America and Europe for many months and really like them.  I notice now on the Orbx web site, it says you need the Orbx base pack for $99 to use these free airports, which is not true and it never stated that before.  I do not have and have never had the Orbx basepack and the airport  packs  work perfectly. Are they just trying to get people to buy the $99 base pack?  

https://orbxdirect.com/product/ftx-global-eu-pack

https://orbxdirect.com/product/ftx-global-na-pack

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I believe there are assets they use in the freeware airports that are included in Global base. Textures and whatnot.

Maybe they mean to say they'd like it if you buy Global if you are going to use the freeware airports because after all they mainly made those for their customers to be used with Global. They've got a point there. So in that case you should read that info more as some sort of legal thing. (Then again, come to think of it, if that was so they could easily make those freeware airports available only to registered Global users... maybe Orbx simply is too nice. :wink: )

Afaik all their addon airports do work without any other addon installed so it's not mandatory as such. You can't blame them for trying to sell some more products though: that's what developers and webshops do.  :wink:

It doesn't say you have to have anything it just states that it was designed to work with global. You are all reading to much into this.

Isnt it the same as with the regions and region airports? That you need the region to make the airport fit perfectly in its surroundings, but still it's possible to install the airports without, only you can see the edges where the airport textures end and the surrounding textures begin?

They also state that payware addon airports for regions require the respective region. And that Global payware airports require Global Base as well. Nothing new here, and in terms of visuals and texture blending they are even correct.

Having said that, I had had Global airports (freeware and payware) working before I became a Global Base user. Addon airports for regions (payware) may be a different story.