Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Sanity Check new computer P3D- Advice needed -

It appears my 34 year old system is dying.  I was pretty good with FSX and managing the add ons.

I want to build a new system:

Should I go with FSX or P3D?

I know nothing about P3D and is the learning curve much?

I just want to fly some PMDG planes 777, new 747 and 737NG.  I want some add ons like FlyTampa and want to do some VATSIM flying - that's it.

Will P3D be a hard transition?

Secondly, here is the proposed system:

Windows 10 pro

ASRock Z170 Professional Gaming Motherboard

i7 6700  OC to 4.6 GHz

liquid cooling

32 GB DDR4 2666 MHZ ram

8GB Nvidia GeForce 1080 card

750 watt PS

1 tb SSD

$3300

Is this system high end???

I see the Titan X card is out there but it adds +$1000 and the guy building this says it wont make a difference?

Do I need 2 cards?  will that help.  I am running dual monitors, I'd like to upgrade to a 4K TV as a monitor someday.

Paul Gugliotta

Looks fine to me

3300 bucks though? Whew!

Where are you purchasing from?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

What kind of liquid cooling? Could be a rubbish AIO, top-notch AIO, or cooled by UFO toxic coolant water from Area 51.

I'd like Jetline Sims  to build my machine and load in either P3D or FSX with all the addons.

The liquid cooling is Corsair Hydro Series H115i (I know nothing about it - that is what they quoted me)

Is there anything realistically that I should add to enhance performance like the following:

I see the Titan X Pascal card has better performance but costs a lot more.  Is is worth it?

Also should I wait for the i7 7700 CPU in January??

Paul Gugliotta

That is way too much money for that system. Build it yourself and save well over 1000 dollars. I can't believe they're chaarging this much, stealing from you:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($87.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card  ($649.45 @ B&H) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($83.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1776.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-20 08:06 EST-0500

Also why 32Gb of RAM? You won't make use of anything close to that.

Also should I wait for the i7 7700 CPU in January??

Yes.  It is not far away and time is flying.

By then the Z270 chipset motherboards will be out also.

Jetline will take good care of you and provides a good service for the money. Some people don't want to build there own systems. My only complaint is that my system now shows all the limitations and warts of the current batch of flight sims. The 1080 should be good. I'm running 4k now on a 50" TV and will never go back to a small monitor.  You cant go wrong with Jetline and they will always be there to help you with anything flight sim even if it isn't hardware.  Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Jetline will take good care of you and provides a good service for the money. Some people don't want to build there own systems. My only complaint is that my system now shows all the limitations and warts of the current batch of flight sims. The 1080 should be good. I'm running 4k now on a 50" TV and will never go back to a small monitor.  You cant go wrong with Jetline and they will always be there to help you with anything flight sim even if it isn't hardware.  Josh

If you want to spend well over a grand for that then go right ahead.

Wow, great information.  At least I have some bargaining room.  Yeah, no way I could build my own machine.  I may have 160 IQ and two mater degrees in engineering, but I'll probably set the house on fire or get electrocuted if I try assembling such a beast.  I will have Jetline install all the software as well.

My only question to the group is:

Should I switch to P3D now, or stay with FSX.  With FSX, I at least know how to navigate around, add liveries, change settings.

I know NOTHING about P3D and I am afraid the learning curve will be too steep. 

Paul Gugliotta

Wow, great information.  At least I have some bargaining room.  Yeah, no way I could build my own machine.  I may have 160 IQ and two mater degrees in engineering, but I'll probably set the house on fire or get electrocuted if I try assembling such a beast.  I will have Jetline install all the software as well.

My only question to the group is:

Should I switch to P3D now, or stay with FSX.  With FSX, I at least know how to navigate around, add liveries, change settings.

I know NOTHING about P3D and I am afraid the learning curve will be too steep. 

It is extremely easy, check out some videos on youtube. It is basically lego for adults. Very simple, not much in it. Please, please, please at least consider it as you would be saving so much money.

I also run P3D on an ultraHD (4K) 50" HDR monitor (which has a 60Hz HDMI port, which is important to achieve 60FPS) and i7 and GTX 1080 card (see my signature below).

I have a well ventilated case, good CPU and case fans and nothing is overclocked and see no need for water cooling. My GTX1080 card also has excellent cooling (non water cooled)

With ORBX scenery, REX textures and AS16 and the details turned way up I regularly get 60 FPS at glorious 4K resolution in P3D which  is stunning.

Windows 10 pro
ASRock Z170 Professional Gaming Motherboard
i7 6700  OC to 4.6 GHz
liquid cooling
32 GB DDR4 2666 MHZ ram
8GB Nvidia GeForce 1080 card
750 watt PS
1 tb SSD

$3300

That seems expensive (especially with no monitor)?  Is that $3300 US?

Win10 Pro $140

i7 6700 is $300

Z170 motherboard ASRock $190

32GB DDR4 RAM 2666 $180

nVidia 1080 8GB VRAM $620

750 Watt PSU $100

1TB SSD Samsung EVO 850 $330

Water cooling ?? need more details on this closed setup $130, custom loop $300 (ish)

Total: $2010-$2160

So where is the $1200+ difference?

Cheers, Rob.