Sign in to follow this  

Which flightplanner and how to load plans?

I understand Plan-G, which I use for VFR in P3D, doesn't play nice with XP11. Are there any other planners that do work with XP11? (Odd that XP doesn't even have a basic planner!) I am afraid that using Plan-G P3D data for my XP plans may give odd results.

And if I do manage to create and save a plan: how can I load it into (for instance) the GPS of the Cessna? I can't find a 'load flightplan' option. I did find old instructions but they show a button the new version doesn't have...?

I am afraid i am unable to help you regarding the flight plan loading within X-Plane, but for the flight planner have you tried:

http://onlineflightplanner.org/

It's free and it does seem to allow export in X-Plane format.

Ian R Tyldesley

Thanks for the tip but it is not really suited for scenic VFR routes. I'd like for instance to plot a route through valleys from one small airport to another like I can with Plan-G...

I've been using the trial of Pilot2ATC.  It has a really nice flight planner.  It does not read the XPlane scenry like PlanG, but most real world airports are there, and you can set user waypoints anywhere you want I think.  The map feature is quite nice, with a choice of sattelite, terrain, roads, and charts.

BTW, P2ATC works fine with XP11 for ATC.  It's a really nice program.  

I wouldn't bail out on Plan-G yet if you like it. It needs updating to read XP11's new Navigraph data format, and the author has posted on the Plan-G forum that he already has the code written. He just has to test it with XP11 and release the updated version of the program. Meanwhile I think an exported .fms file can still be read in XP11. Most of that data won't have changed.

For anyone new to X-Plane, this is a great donationware program if you don't need full SIDS and STARS. It's perfect the GA bush flying I do.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I wouldn't bail out on Plan-G yet if you like it. It needs updating to read XP11's new Navigraph data format, and the author has posted on the Plan-G forum that he already has the code written. He just has to test it with XP11 and release the updated version of the program. Meanwhile I think an exported .fms file can still be read in XP11. Most of that data won't have changed.

For anyone new to X-Plane, this is a great donationware program if you don't need full SIDS and STARS. It's perfect the GA bush flying I do.

That's good to hear. Plan-G is really great.

But does anyone know if you can load planes into the Cessna?

And if I do manage to create and save a plan: how can I load it into (for instance) the GPS of the Cessna? I can't find a 'load flightplan' option. I did find old instructions but they show a button the new version doesn't have...?

Ok, if you are able to save a flightplan in .fms format and place it in the "Output/FMS Plans" folder, you should be able to load it in the C172 GPS. You have to go to the flightplan page (FPL), then, if I remember correctly, press "MENU", then you have to scroll to the second page of the menu with the rotating cursor, and you should see a list of flight plans (.fms), then you select it and load it in the GPS.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Murmur is right. If the fms plan is in the specified folder it will show up on the second FPL page of the GNS. Then hit the cursor button, scroll down to the plan you want to load and hit ENT. This should do the job.

Hans

Check out SkyDemon if you don't mind payware. Great features for VFR flying in Europe. Monthly subscription available for testing. 

Forgot to mention EFASS, apparently not in development any more but AIRAC updates are working fine.

Hans

Plan G is the easiest and quickest way to do a flight plan, in conjunction with Skyvector. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you need help understanding the 530 I found this illustrated guide most helpful...It was written for XP10, haven't had a good chance to check it all out on 11.

Link: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/27585-xp_10_gps_530-unofficial-illustrated-quick_reference/

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.