Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

GTX 1070 performance in XP opinions?

I've finally decided to scrap my Macbook laptop for gaming and pick up a gaming laptop. I went for an Acer laptop with a GTX 1070 8GB, i7 3.2GHZ (overclockable) and 32GB RAM. Can anyone with a similar specced computer tell me the sort of performance they are getting in XP10 and 11. I have a painful 2 week wait for the computer, but I also have a 30day money-back guarantee.

I'm hoping I made a good choice, as I still prefer laptops to desktops.

I think that laptop should hold XP10 / 11 quite well. Ah you said Asus ?

How VRAM ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

8GB, so it has 4 times the RAM my current one does. It is also apparently VR ready. Getting fed up of running the sim at 15fps.

Not really similar specs as I have a GTX1080 but I get 40 fps more in XP-10 at the moment than I do in XP-11, same situation with payware plane and scenery so I am eagerly awaiting graphics performance updates from Laminar. My XP-10 fps goes over the 100 mark at altitude +/- 30K ft and 55 - 60 at an airport.

The GTX1070 are also pretty good.

Yeah Tony it looks Solid, but is it an Acer or an Asus ? In the PM you mentioned Asus.

On my laptop even look at the sky in XP11 does go above 15-18 fps but on the ground it is always stuck to around 10 most places that i have tried so yes once LR optimizes it would get better

It's an Asus G752VS. I had the choice between this and a Dell Alienware, but the Asus was cheaper and had the same specs.

I get 40 fps more in XP-10 at the moment than I do in XP-11

Thanks Glenn. XP11 is pretty much unusable for me on my current computer but XP10 will run between 20-30fps depending on where I'm flying. If I can get a smooth 30fps in XP11 I'll be happy.

Cost is the same here. I always thought everything outside of India was more expensive.Actually the desktops are more costly than the US / Europe.

with my i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz  (4 cores) and GTX 1070 8GB, I get typically between 25 and 40 fps, when going to NY or adding complex weather, framerates suffer.

AA is on max, in x-plane 11 lowering HDR-SAA to HDR and reflections on minimum, everything else on max.

W2XP scenery is pushing my 16GB over the limit in x-plane 11, in x-plane 10 I run with extended scenery off for this reason.

I like eyecandy over frames though, so I tend to push my settings to the limit of bearable ;-).

Although I am not sure about the processor, I know frequency does not say all, and I am not familiar with that generation.

But for a laptop, this is a beast and should run X-plane just fine.

You are going to put Linux on this one ?

No, I'm just going to keep Windows 10 installed. I miss out on too much by not having Windows (I've been using Mac OS for years). I'll still use my Mac for development and everything else, and just use this new computer for gaming and simulators.

W2XP scenery is pushing my 16GB over the limit in x-plane 11, in x-plane 10 I run with extended scenery off for this reason.

I opted to get 32GB because of this. Generally my current 16GB is fine in XP10, but with extended DSFs now always on it's time to up the RAM. I don't have this option on my Mac, which has a maximum of 16GB

Regarding the CPU, it's pretty much the similar to what I already have, so CPU intensive options in X-Plane such as cars probably won't see any improvement. What I'm hoping the 1070 will give me is the option to have better textures, anti-aliasing whilst keeping the FPS acceptable (Where I'd say 30fps is the sweet spot).

What I'm hoping the 1070 will give me is the option to have better textures, anti-aliasing whilst keeping the FPS acceptable (Where I'd say 30fps is the sweet spot).

You are safe with the 1070 then, I run with textures on max (uncompressed) without problems, and highest AA only having a small impact, if any (other settings like reflections and HDR+SAA are more impacting).

I am planning to add 8GB more, 24GB is the sweet spot at the moment, as it seems (until you push the bounderies once again ?).

I've been happy thus far with the 1070. You can use up the vram entirely in XP11 so compromise is a must in some areas. I've found my sweet spot now to give me 30fps over cities with real weather. What more could one really ask for? I use nVidia control panel to enhance some of the XP settings. All in all XP11 is running and looking really well, I think you'll be happy.

What's the difference between  a mini 1070 ?

I believe it's just the clock-speed on the mobile cards is slower.

I've found my sweet spot now to give me 30fps over cities with real weather. What more could one really ask for? I use nVidia control panel to enhance some of the XP settings. All in all XP11 is running and looking really well, I think you'll be happy.

Don't you use lots of ZL18 orthoimagery, uncompressed that must use huge amounts of RAM. If the card can cope happily with that, then I'm happy :-)

Don't you use lots of ZL18 orthoimagery, uncompressed that must use huge amounts of RAM. If the card can cope happily with that, then I'm happy :-)

Yeah that's all I use really. I really do believe that the 1070 is best bang for buck at the moment. I must say though now that I've had some time with the beta, I'm really excited for the XP11 run and what it will bring to the table, I think it has the potential to become the market leader.