Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

Deciding between an overclockable processor

Yes it is worth it. You could go for a 6600K. They tend to overclock nicely. 4.6 GHz should be easy enough and some achieve right up to 5GHz.

You will obviously need good cooling though. I favour the Noctua NH-D15S.

Max turbo frequency is 3.9, so if you achieve 4.6 that's an 18% improvement.

Hi...

Yeah - I think CPU clock speed buys you the most in FSX/P3D... I've been running my 2700K at 4.7 Ghz on air for years (Noctua Cooler) - and it still manages to do pretty well with the latest software packages... If I back off to the default clock of 3.5 Ghz - frame rates go right down the drain... I did upgrade my video card on this box from a GTX570 to a GTX970 and the performance boost was hardly noticeable... Upgrading my memory to faster speeds seemed to buy me a few more frames...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

H75 isn't the best. It's about 12 degrees warmer than my cooler and much louder. Best thing is though, if you do upgrade to a new CPU, try your H75 and see how you get on.

H75 isn't the best. It's about 12 degrees warmer than my cooler and much louder. Best thing is though, if you do upgrade to a new CPU, try your H75 and see how you get on.

Will do!

--------------------------------------------

Do you think this would work as a P3D machine?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vBDm2R

I have all those parts, except the Mobo, RAM, and CPU. Would it run the NGX and 777 well?

You're going to need two RAM sticks, not one.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

2 sticks of 4GB? or 2 sticks of 8GB? I can't afford 16GB right now, which is why I am going to get just 1 stick of 8GB now and buy another stick later.

If you only go with one stick, you're cutting your RAM bandwidth in half because it uses dual-channel RAM. I suppose you could get the 2x4GB, but I'd see if I can conjure up an extra $45 to double the RAM.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

For FSX and P3D, a fast multi-core CPU will still provide more performance than a slow multi-core CPU, so even with CPU's at or near 4Ghz as their normal operating frequency, a good overclocking will still provide benefits.  My experience with overclocking and FSX is that CPU speed and frame rates are almost perfectly linear, so for every 10% increase in CPU speed, I saw a 10% increase in frames.

RAM, dual channel RAM works best in pairs.  With a 64-bit operating system, these days I would consider 8GB to be the bare minimum.  If you can, go ahead and install a matched pair of 8GB sticks to give you 16GB.  No, FSX and P3D will not recognize nor use all that RAM, they are limited to using 4GB, but background processes and other programs can make use of the additional RAM, leaving FSX its full 4GB of virtual address space.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

My experience with overclocking and FSX is that CPU speed and frame rates are almost perfectly linear, so for every 10% increase in CPU speed, I saw a 10% increase in frames.

Yep, my experience too, and that of many.