Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

Beta 6 is out

I believe it translates into yaw 

or pitch, when for instance you kick one of the rudders... For a cw prop, kicking the right rudder pitches down, kicking the left can cause a pitch up... Very noticeable on aerobatic aircraft and powerful ww2 fighters...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

or pitch, when for instance you kick one of you rudders... For a cw prop, kicking the right rudder pitches down, kicking the left can cause a pitch up... Very noticeable on aerobatic aircraft and powerful ww2 fighters...

Yes. For some reason I was reading "pitch" and thinking about "roll" instead  :Whistle:

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

How have you edited the airfoil Murmur - I am curious :-)

If you turned it into an asymmetric fin/ rudder ( à-lá Bf 109 ) , then it's not the one used in a real C172, and if you canted it, again, the default hasn't got it...

My point of view is that the important thing is the final effect, in any way it's done _and_ provided there isn't any unwanted side effect in any other part of the flight envelope, of course.

Now that being said, I didn't use an asymmetric airfoil, nor a canted fin. I just reduced the airfoil effectiveness (and hence the fin) for lift, drag and moment, in the hypothesis that the effectiveness calculated by X-Plane is more than the real one.

Even in this case, it's just a quick tweak. Had I a lot more time _and_ access to a real C172 for flight testing, I think even better results and tuning could be done. As I said, it's just a tuning of forces and moments in the various flight conditions.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Then it looks OK to me Murmur - I'm glad to learn that was the approach because it really doesn't "violate" the "geometry" of the RW aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

For all the 737-800 fans / pilots here excluding me . there is a project @.org about the default XP11 737-800 do check it out. The author seems to have been a lot many changes , i don't understand the big aircrafts but i did download the updated files and seems good 

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus