Sign in to follow this  
bic

silly things you've done

Many moons ago when I was learning to use the CIVA INS.

I planned a long haul flight, nodded off at crz alt and woke up to find I was pretty much back where I had started.:laugh:

Hard work those CIVA INS's 

Taking off with the tailwheel cart on a Grob Astir Club :-)

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thank you gentlemen for your informative and detailed replies! I've been winched into cloud at Bowland Forest Gliding club a couple of times (the joys of Lancashire weather :) ). The instructors warned me about it and they were carrying out the launch and release. It seemed to take a long time for the ground to appear again even knowing that at the moment of release, the glider was still travelling in an upward arc. 

Back on topic - very recently I was taking the Milviz Red Bull P38 for a spin (only just got around to having a proper flight with it). Off I went on the takeoff run... these old warbirds take their time despite having two big Allison V12s, thought. Not much lightning about this...Clawed my way into the air - about 120 knots I think ,but next to no appreciable climb rate nor acceleration...I'd only forgotten to move the condition levers forward! What a difference it made after moving them :D 

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

14 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Thank you gentlemen for your informative and detailed replies! I've been winched into cloud at Bowland Forest Gliding club a couple of times (the joys of Lancashire weather :) ). The instructors warned me about it and they were carrying out the launch and release. It seemed to take a long time for the ground to appear again even knowing that at the moment of release, the glider was still travelling in an upward arc. 

Back on topic - very recently I was taking the Milviz Red Bull P38 for a spin (only just got around to having a proper flight with it). Off I went on the takeoff run... these old warbirds take their time despite having two big Allison V12s, thought. Not much lightning about this...Clawed my way into the air - about 120 knots I think ,but next to no appreciable climb rate nor acceleration...I'd only forgotten to move the condition levers forward! What a difference it made after moving them :D 

Yup, done that prop lever thing too, although normally you can spot that at the point where you've 'mysteriously' used up 8,000 feet of runway and are still thinking: 'come on, fly you b*******!'. :laugh:

That winching into clouds malarkey is why I am in the habit of always trimming the nose down a little bit for take off, since you can hold it in the climb for the launch regardless of trim, but if anything goes wrong, or you go up into cloud, you can just give the cable release lever a couple of good yanks, then let go of everything and 'let the Lord take over', and it will fly itself down out of the clouds. Although you are right that it does always seem to take a long time to drop into visibility when you haven't got an AH.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Take off and land at taxiway,flying with full flaps(gears are up)......these things always happening to me when I started playing FSX 7 years ago......