Sign in to follow this  
Logan Neilsen

Flight Dynamics/Weight and Balance Issue

So I'm loving the new 747, however I am having quite a major issue.

I takeoff and climb to about 1500ft with no problems, then the autopilot starts to pitch the plane down, however it maintains level flight. Also the speed of the aircraft is very, very sluggish and doesn't want to go over 220-230 knots. The wings also are drooped quite far down considering a full aircraft that has just departed is climbing. They remain like how they look whilst the aircraft is on the ground. I feel like it may have something to do with the flight dynamics or weight and balance of the aircraft, however nothing I do seems to help. I've never had this issue before with any other PMDG aircraft so I'm hoping that any advice will help.

So I'm loving the new 747, however I am having quite a major issue.

I takeoff and climb to about 1500ft with no problems, then the autopilot starts to pitch the plane down, however it maintains level flight. Also the speed of the aircraft is very, very sluggish and doesn't want to go over 220-230 knots. The wings also are drooped quite far down considering a full aircraft that has just departed is climbing. They remain like how they look whilst the aircraft is on the ground. I feel like it may have something to do with the flight dynamics or weight and balance of the aircraft, however nothing I do seems to help. I've never had this issue before with any other PMDG aircraft so I'm hoping that any advice will help.

Please sign your real name to your posts as required by the forum rules, thanks.

Can you give us more information about the setup of your flight? What is your gross weight, CG, THR REF page settings etc?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Please sign your real name to your posts as required by the forum rules, thanks.

Can you give us more information about the setup of your flight? What is your gross weight, CG, THR REF page settings etc?

My Apologies and thank you for your reply!

So its set up for just a regular flight - Gross weight (KGs) is 292.1, CRZ CG is 20.0%, TRIM/ T/O CG is 21% and I'm not sure exactly what you mean by THR REF but the Engines enter CLB mode passing reduction alt/accel height and all seems normal on that front. It seems like something is kind of like holding the aircraft down?? I don't mean to sound so dramatic there.

I've reinstalled the product and it doesn't seem to change much.

My Apologies and thank you for your reply!

So its set up for just a regular flight - Gross weight (KGs) is 292.1, CRZ CG is 20.0%, TRIM/ T/O CG is 21% and I'm not sure exactly what you mean by THR REF but the Engines enter CLB mode passing reduction alt/accel height and all seems normal on that front. It seems like something is kind of like holding the aircraft down?? I don't mean to sound so dramatic there.

I've reinstalled the product and it doesn't seem to change much.

Sounds a lot like FSUIPC interfering with things.

Additionally, Ryan's comment earlier about putting your name in your posts was related to simply typing it into your posts (or using an auto-signature, like mine, below), and not setting your user name as your real name.

Kyle Rodgers

I am having the same issue. Are there any plans to make this plane compatible with FSUIPC?

Thanks,

Peter Marlin

I am having the same issue. Are there any plans to make this plane compatible with FSUIPC?

Thanks,

Peter Marlin

This product works very well with FSUIPC unless there is a problem with the FSUIPC.ini file, which is what Kyle is alluding to.  The most common problem that fits this description is the FSUIPC flaps assignments make it look like flaps are retracted but FSUIPC still has them hanging out there screwing with your ability to fly.  Don't assign flaps to FSUIPC, there's no need to do that.

Dan Downs KCRP

This product works very well with FSUIPC

Sorry, I have to disagree. I still have to be able to complete a flight, after figuring out why P3D won't start anymore, why the autopilot always disengages, and why the engines are not even able to climb at 800'/min. To be fair, it is all explained in the introduction, but I didn't understand the ramifications when I first read it. I have now removed all axes assignments for this plane and hope that this will finally help me to stay airborne.  :sad:

Peter

Yeah, I could have said that as long as you follow PMDG guidance on FSUIPC then it works no problem.  One thing I like about P3D is that it's interface with controllers is DX11 and a big improvement over FSX.  I plug my Warthog controllers directly into P3D, calibrate and assign all there no problem.  Seems the simplest solution.  I use FSUIPC to bind buttons and switches to PMDG key commands that are not part of the default key command assignments.

Dan Downs KCRP

Peter (full names in the forum please),

It is compatible with FSUIPC. The problem is that FSUIPC's primary purpose is to allow people to do some very cool, custom stuff; but most people don't have the knowledge to do that safely. Think of it this way: I can give you an entire tool chest full of stuff to do your own work on your car, but if you do the work improperly, is the car going to work correctly? Maybe...maybe not. So, is the issue that your car is incompatible with the tool chest, or was the tool chest used improperly?

In this case, you probably assigned a flap axis in FSUIPC. Don't do this. Assign the axis in the sim. Process it in FSUIPC if you need to.

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry, I have to disagree.

Definitely on your side. I have the latest fsuipc with lots of hardware. I have a floor mounted yoke, separate floor mounted tiller, floor mounted throttle stand, rudder pedals and VRi's MCP2. All of it runs and calibrated through fsuipc and LINDA. Not one bloody issue with any of it and the 747..

Eric 

Hello Kyle and others,

thanks for your help, I finally got it to work and had a very nice first completed flight with the 747. I am impressed by how smooth the plane flies, both with and without autopilot.

In the process I had to reset my entire FSUIPC settings. I am not sure if this was necessary, but that's what worked for me. Yes, one can do a lot of cool things with FSUIPC and I make heavy use of it via Lua scripts. That's why I was so reluctant to remove the assignments.

Peter (full name in my first post in this thread)

Glad you got it working Peter.

As for the last bit. I can see the name up top, but it needs to be in all posts. That's a little on the specific side, sure, but when we're looking for compliance, we shouldn't have to play Where'd Waldo with all the names in the entire thread. Thanks for your attention to the matter.

Kyle Rodgers