craig_read

Cruise Fuel Management Feature Improvement

Recommended Posts

Just a suggestion that I think is applicable to the 747-400 and 777 aircraft.  It's great that you've implemented the automatic Tank to Engine capability in the 747, but it would be good if you'd also implement an automatic shutdown of the centre tank pumps once that tank reaches it's lower limits.  As far as I am aware this isn't done for the 747 or 777 and would be a nice feature to have.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just turn them off when you get back to the computer. With all of these "auto" requests, I'm getting more and more curious if people are wanting us to just code them planes that just take care of themselves the whole time.

The reason we put the auto-tank/eng in there is because not being there to change the tanks to tank/eng would result in an imbalance situation. Not turning the center tanks off won't.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for clarity I have asked for only two "auto" things, and one is an adjustment to a feature that already exists, this post being second.

I just thought that since the lav truck was included, something like this that relates to cruise operations and handles 'expected' in flight caution messages like the tank to engine feature does, might be at least equally high up on the priority list for consideration.  But I see now I am incorrect in that assumption.  It's not a problem, it's a suggestion.  But I thought a proportional response required :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Just turn them off when you get back to the computer. With all of these "auto" requests, I'm getting more and more curious if people are wanting us to just code them planes that just take care of themselves the whole time.

The reason we put the auto-tank/eng in there is because not being there to change the tanks to tank/eng would result in an imbalance situation. Not turning the center tanks off won't.

For your next project, just tell everyone you have made a 787, it is fully automatic, and you don't even need to purchase it, the flights will be done with no interaction from the user at all. You don't even need to install it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only flown the NGX, but prefer to manually turn off the centre fuel tanks, when using them.  Having to do that, and recalling the Master Caution, gives me some awareness on my fuel situation, as I usually make a note of when the centre tank will run dry, so that it doesn't happen earlier than expected with the resulting low fuel situation.  Yes, I know that the FMC checks this as well, but also like to check it manually as confirmation of the FMC readings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good practice; I try to confirm fuel use at each waypoint, or if they are close together (less than 50nm or so), at every 2nd or 3rd waypoint. I note this in pen on my printed flightplan, next to the expected fuel value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, craig_read said:

Just for clarity I have asked for only two "auto" things, and one is an adjustment to a feature that already exists, this post being second.

I just thought that since the lav truck was included, something like this that relates to cruise operations and handles 'expected' in flight caution messages like the tank to engine feature does, might be at least equally high up on the priority list for consideration.  But I see now I am incorrect in that assumption.  It's not a problem, it's a suggestion.  But I thought a proportional response required :)

I know you've only requested this extra piece, but I get to see all of the requests we get for all kinds of auto things. There's gotta be a line somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I know you've only requested this extra piece, but I get to see all of the requests we get for all kinds of auto things. There's gotta be a line somewhere.

Understood, I do think this....

"With all of these "auto" requests, I'm getting more and more curious if people are wanting us to just code them planes that just take care of themselves the whole time."

wasn't really necessary in this case.. however.. let's not worry about that as it's all fine now.. reminds me of a series actually.. 'fineness resumed after major incident..' as it's referred to by Mitchell and Webb (search Mitchell Webb Fine, you'll probably like it).

I can genuinely appreciate many requests for extra functionality can be frustrating at times.  So I will promise to not ask for anymore, other than the next 100 things.. which I'll obviously post in separate articles in each case just to keep things segregated.  I mean I'm not saying these are must haves, but I think you'll agree it would be like.. 1000% better with them.  Anyway here is a sample below for you:

  • Antennas that flutter in the wind.
  • A 'ppssshhh' sound whenever doors are opened.
  • An option to open and close all the window blinds in the cabin, individually within the FMC (I'm particularly keen on this one, imagine how immersive this would make it?).
  • Selectable drinks in the cup holders depending on the players liking.
  • Simulated lavs (includes the lock light and noises).

Obviously it's up to you guys to make the call :)

Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, craig_read said:

Simulated lavs (includes the lock light and noises).

What are the noises of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pcubine said:

What are the noises of?

Is this discussion now heading south down the tubes :gaul: (pun intended).

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now