ST1322

LCD screens - wash out colors

Hi,

Why the colors on LCD screens are so washed out? CRT gives nice, deep colors of the data displayed. When I change to LCD then everything is washed out and over bloomed. Why?

Tom Link

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think that's just how LCD screens look on the real airplane. Remember, they are not of the same quality as a modern computer screen, those LCD's are late 90s / early 2000s designs. They also have an anti-glare coating that may make the colours look a little washed out.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:01 PM, ST1322 said:

Why the colors on LCD screens are so washed out? CRT gives nice, deep colors of the data displayed. When I change to LCD then everything is washed out and over bloomed. Why?

Because this is how the real aircraft is. We specifically made different color values for both the CRT and LCD screens to more realistically show the true nature of the colors between the two versions. They aren't the same in real life; they aren't the same in our product.

Yes, what Kyle said is true, the LCD's don't quit have the deeper colors the CRT's did, but they are more reliable and less bulky, easier to swap out, than the CRT's were. Either way, you get used to them pretty quick. I think the CRT's changed for ambient light changes better than the LCD's do, but there are always compromises...