fleendo

Question about a nice feature in the PMDG 747 V2

Recommended Posts

Hello folks,

as I already watched several videos about this great product I noticed that sometimes you can hear a low chime tone as we know it as a passanger. My question is is it based on fixed times or a certain action by the simmer when this sound should play or is it random?

My very best wishes to you,

Patrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 minute ago, fleendo said:

Hello folks,

as I already watched several videos about this great product I noticed that sometimes you can hear a low chime tone as we know it as a passanger. My question is is it based on fixed times or a certain action by the simmer when this sound should play or is it random?

My very best wishes to you,

Patrick

If the passenger signs are set to auto, you will hear the ding sound on departure passing 10,000ft (seatbelt signs off) and again on descent when you pass 10,000ft (signs on). Or, you can operate them manually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 77west said:

If the passenger signs are set to auto, you will hear the ding sound on departure passing 10,000ft (seatbelt signs off) and again on descent when you pass 10,000ft (signs on). Or, you can operate them manually.

But in the video I watched at 11:30min the sound played before depature even though the simmer did not operate it manually.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that would be the "Cabin ready" ding, which is programmed to randomly sound before takeoff, based on several factors (I can't recall exactly which ones)

The 777 has the same feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 77west said:

Yes, that would be the "Cabin ready" ding, which is programmed to randomly sound before takeoff, based on several factors (I can't recall exactly which ones)

The 777 has the same feature.

Yes but now Im curious about a video where the sound plays already at 1200 feet after depature at 10:02min also with no manual operation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to know how this feature works so I can suggest it better to Aerosoft to implement it in their upcoming A330 too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some airlines ding when the cabin crew can begin moving around, that may be what you are hearing.

 

Perhaps Kyle can elaborate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the gear is up, and the NO SMOKING sign is in AUTO, the smoking sign will turn off. That is the chime you are hearing. A lot of airlines have modified this so that will not occur anymore and it stays on, or some have removed the AUTO position, just ON and OFF. The Smoking sign is tied to gear. The tolerance and perception of smoking has changed in 30 years since the jet was introduced.

The seat belt sign is tied to gear, flaps, the cabin being below 10,000 feet and the aircraft altitude being above 10,300 feet. If the gear is up, the flaps are up, the cabin below 10, the jet altitude above 10,300, the seat belt sign turns off. On the way down, it is OR...below 10,300 feet or gear down, or flaps not up, or cabin above 10, whichever occurs first, the seat belt sign will turn on if it is in AUTO.

AUTO is a good position in flight for the Seat Belt Sign in case you forget to turn it on, most checklists address it, but AUTO for smoking is pretty much worthless for this day and age.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all of these cases  with the seat belt sign the cabin altitude has to be below 10,000 feet, otherwise the seat belt sign comes on with the assumption you have a pressurization problem and everyone should be seated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Captain_Al said:

In all of these cases  with the seat belt sign the cabin altitude has to be below 10,000 feet, otherwise the seat belt sign comes on with the assumption you have a pressurization problem and everyone should be seated.

Isn't cabin altitude normally around 8,000 when you're at cruise altitude?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Kevin, eventually it will be, but typically since the max altitude is 45,100 which you will never get to unless you are not carrying much fuel, passengers, or cargo...you normally are initially at FL290 to 310 until you can step higher. Once you get up to 390 to 410, you will be at a cabin of 8000 feet with a max differential of 8.9 psi. The nice thing about the 787 is that the max cabin is 6000 feet and the air quality is better, so you theoretically feel better after a long flight at altitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm confused as to how the seatbelt sign would come on at a cabin altitude of 10,000 feet if the plane isn't going to hit such a cabin altitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Mauricio said, pressurization problem or explosive decompression leading to a rapid descent...it just ensures that the seat belt sign will come on if the sign is in Auto and the gear and flaps are up and the aircraft altitude is above 10,300 feet, but the cabin is above 10,000 feet because of a pressurization problem or hole in the jet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now